I am back

I am back!!
I took a sabbatical from the D.O.C. And other online forums for a while, due to a myriad of factors. But I have so missed the camaraderie of Tudiabetes I have returned. I have had to re-prioritize my life and reestablish my time management skills, which are woefully lacking on occasion. However, here is a brief update on “what’s going on” (kudos to the late Marvin Gaye:
I have returned to work for my former school district as a speech/language pathologist. I go to the homes of medically fragile children with severe disabilities to provide communication therapy. Many of them have severe disabilities, with g-tubes and tracheotomies. However, each child is a jewel and unique. I enjoy working with them and engaging with their parents, nurses, and teachers. Challenging work, but very rewarding. I do not like driving around the county so much. That and the prep time add a few hours to the 10 hours per week " hands -on" time I work. But the schedule can be flexible for both me and the parents who call in to change; and I do not generally work on Mondays or Fridays. So it is all good.
I decided to return to the word of the working because of my reduced retirement income and increased deductible on my medical insurance led me to do some diabetic no-no’s: rationing test strips, keeping the infusion sets in for 4 days, not using the sensors at all,( and I really needed to reset my basals), guesstimating boluses. My control suffered and I wasn’t feeling my best. So I decided that those behaviors HAD to stop. I went back to work. A wonderful Tufriend is sending me some extra supplies from her overflow. Will be stocking up on test strips at a reduced price, now that deductible is finally met. So all appears to be well on that count.
Other issues are confounding me, though. I have reached the stage of life where it seems sickness and death is surrounding me. Thanks all for the birthday wishes and comments (I turned 58 yesterday). Two weeks before thanksgiving, My mother had to have emergency colon surgery due to diverticulitis, which caused severely bleeding intestinal polyps. She was in surgical Intensive care, but is making remarkable progress and called me two days ago, saying she was sitting on the porch in the sunny GA sunshine, enjoying a stroll down our driveway without the walker, just her cane!! She is 84 and awesome! I praise God every day for her wonderful progress!! However, many friends and acquaintances have not fared so well. It used to be that it was “Suzy’s cousin’s best friend in Virginia had a stroke last week. I will have to send a card.” NOW, it is my c0-workers, parents of friends, my relatives, and people I really know and care for, who are ill. My former teachers are dying. Two young women in my hometown (where I visited my mom for the week of Thanksgiving , just dropped dead. They were in their 40’s. Strokes, heart surgeries. The saddest thing happened just yesterday, when a former co-worker and twin sister of one of my best friends, passed yesterday, my birthday, from the effects of an asthma attack on /Sunday morning. Her family is devastated. I went to the hospital to see them just prior to her transition on yesterday, my birthday. So it was a day that was bittersweet for me. I celebrated and was so grateful for having another year of health, happiness and surrounded by His support and that of my friends and family, but was feeling so much pain seeing my dear friend so sad at the passing of her sister. Not the world best birthday at all.
However, God has been by my side and I know HE will never leave me nor forsake me; and will do the same for my friends. He is my ever-present comforter and healer. This is just the season of life I am in.
Well so much for the long ramble...So glad to return to my TuFamily.

God Bless,
Brunetta

Welcome back :)

Brunetta, sister, we are fellow travelers.

my mother had the same thing. strict adherance to the diet is absolutely necssary for a while, then veggies can be slowly added. watch for all nuts and seeds, tomatoes even cooked can be a problem. many crackers have sesame seeds.

thanks marie. My mother is following the doctor's advice very well. She no longer needs ohysical therapy in the home and has jus been told to "walk every day". That, she does. How r U doing?

Sorry to here about all the loss in your life.

I think it's great about your new job. This must be very rewarding.

Happy belated birthday!

WELCOME BACK BRUNETA!!!!!!!! We SOOOOOOOOO MISSED U!!!!! I'm sorry for all that's gone on but u have found what to do love and pray that works. hope to see u soon and call me if u have a chance

Hi Brunetta, and Welcome back! Here's wishing you a happy birthday week as well as condolences for your recent losses. Life is indeed "bittersweet".

Welcome back, Brunetta, you are such a valued contributor here on TuD! Happy Birthday! I just had one too though I have 6 years on you. It seems like since I retired I've been too focused on aging. I belong to a writer's group which is mostly retired people and many of them are older than me; in their 70s and even 80s. And they are all very vital members of the little artistic community here. It helps put it in perspective for me that I am not "old". Since we are living longer we've run out of words for it. I used to call myself middle aged but then someone pointed out I wasn't likely to live to 120! One of my Development textbooks refers to it as "Young old, Old old, and Very old". Silly names but it makes sense as 60 and 80 are very different life stages.

I too went back to work (teaching a bit more) in part because I needed more money to live in part because I felt the loss of rewarding things to do! I was lucky though because I retired from the County with good insurance for life. I'm very very glad you are getting better insurance. I didn't realize you were, of necessity, scrimping on your care. (I know you would never complain!) and am glad you no longer have to do so.

I'm glad your mom is doing better!

Welcome back Brunetta. So good to hear all that is going on in your life.

Yikes! Too bad about the unretirement but it sounds like the job is a good fit! I know you're good at talking so I'm sure you help the kids.

I leave infusion sets in for 4 days all the time, sometimes I get a bit of a rise but just boost the pump a bit for the last day.

Yes, me too. I always aim for four days even if I don't always make it!

Welcome back Brunetta and Happy Belated Birthday to you.

Welcome back Brunetta things just haven't been the same without you. I hate it that you had to return to work, at least it's part time. 58 is too early for retirement anyway. Ya got too many good years left in you to just retire.

It sounds like you found something that will help you fiancially and also help others in need. Somehow that's what I expected from you.

Gary

Welcome back. You’ve been missed.

Welcome back! It is good to see you here and that you trust us with the cares of your life.

Be well.

Brian Wittman

Missed you too ms. Doris!! How are and the grandbabies?
God bless, Brunetta

thank you for your insight, Zoe. I guessit is not that I am concerned about being old, was just distrtessed at the loss and pain others were going through becuase of unexpected loss of health and, in some situations, life.
Then I thought of my book cub members, who are mostly retired, ages 55++ into the 80's. I think of my exercise partner, 69 1/2, who just finised a book and is very active in cultural/communicty events and I reraized just how many of we "mature people" are active and awesome. It really does balance it out. I am blessed to be "OLD"!!

God Bless,
Brunetta

Thanks A and Zoe..I knew I wasn't the only one, Acid. Now I am "Out" as a 4-dayer.LOL. But just occasionally now.
God Bless,
Brunetta

Thank you so much, Christy.
God Bless,
Brunetta

thanks PP!!
God Bless,
Brunetta