I Do Not Have Dementia (Yet)

Great tips here - won’t work so well for we hoarders. Looking forward to that tiny house - fewer places to look :wink:

I told a doctor that I had some form of aphasia, where I cannot remember where things are. Also, the names of things. I thought it was a sign of dementia, but my doctor seemed to blow it off.

I have always had a large sense of humor, so my not remembering what something is called just seems like a continuation of that. Calling cucumbers “cookie-crumbles.” This tickles my wife’s funny bone. There are Icelandic terrorists and rambunctious voter apathy. Papal clips and paper chips. And where are my keys ?

My thoughts exactly.

This thread is getting rather negative, which is not necessary. I got Juvenile RA when I was about 12 or 13 y.o, and have had health issues ever since. However, I’m pretty sure I don’t have any form of dementia even though I’m now 86 y.o. OK, I’ll knock on wood, but remember, scientists keep finding treatments/cures for mankind’s ills and someday that will include Diabetes and Dementia.

Some view realism as a form of pessimism. I simply prefer realism. I remain ever hopeful, but I believe tempering hope with realism is wise. Otherwise I would be expecting “the cure” in another two years as we were told when my daughter was diagnosed with T1D 3 years ago. I prefer not to have my hopes dashed against a very hard rock.

Rgcainmd, I didn’t mean to start an argument. Because I have children, grand- and great-grandchildren I remain ever hopeful, and since I deal with several health conditions that keep me close to being an invalid, I am realistic. My point was simply that one need not be too fearful with respect to becoming demented with old age. My husband, who is older than I am, defeated cancer and has no other health problems, including dementia. We’re lucky and I’m sure that many other people are lucky as well.

Not to worry, I didn’t take what you said as being argumentative at all. And I truly appreciate what you have to say! :heart: I agree wholeheartedly: “too fearful”, like any “too ‘fill in the blank’” is not a good thing.

This reminds me of a favorite saying.

“As a matter of fact I do know everything…Just not all at once.”

And its corollary, “You can have it all, just not all at the same time.”

I am 59, and diagnosed with dementia. Had T1D since 1980, and my husband is having to do the heavy mental lifting. He is 10 years younger and I feel badly about that.

I understand that you feel badly because your husband has to do more. But having dementia is not your fault. Hang in there! :heart:

Really? Why shouldn’t a women tell her real age?

"No woman should ever be quite accurate about her age. It looks so calculating… "

Just quoting Oscar…

…"Thirty-five is a very attractive age. London society is full of women of the very highest birth who have, of their own free choice, remained thirty-five for years. Lady Dumbleton is an instance in point. To my own knowledge she has been thirty-five ever since she arrived at the age of forty, which was many years ago now.”

A famous science fiction author of the Golden Age (I forget who) was once at a convention. During the Q&A session, a fan asked, “How does it feel to be 60?” (Or whatever his age was at the time.) The author replied, “I can’t tell you because I don’t know. In my mind I’m still 25.”

At some time in your life, you need to make the transition from perennial teenager to disreputable old geezer. The key point is to make sure you avoid the in-between stage of responsible adult.

No danger there.

I too was 35 for many years until my daughter remarked that I must have been a 2yo when I had her!
Sometimes it is very difficult to unconditionally love your offspring :grinning:

There are Icelandic terrorists

There probably are. They want interdependence for Iceland.

and rambunctious voter apathy.

This certainly exists. And I know several people who are noisily inert.

Papal clips

On the Vatican website?

and paper chips.

I don’t have a solution for this one yet, but I’m working on it.

http://i3.cpcache.com/product_zoom/1140778055/mind_like_a_steel_trap_drinking_glass.jpg?color=White&height=460&width=460&padToSquare=true

When I start complaining about getting older, I like to remember that it’s WAY better than the alternative …

Maureen, I’d like this comment twice if possible! :smiley: