I don't understand my fasting BS

In the short amount of time I have been diagnosed I can’t seem to get my fasting BS below 120. I am currently taking 5mg of Glyburide in the morning and 500 mg of Metformin in the evening. During the day my BS fluctuates up and down with my meals. On occasion my BS has dropped to the 80-85 range and I get flushed and shakey. Dr. says that the feelings I get when my BS drops to 80-85 will eventually go away. He said it’s like a shock to my system because its so low.

Last night I tested around 9:00 p.m. (about 3 hours after eating) and had a reading of 104. This morning I woke at around 4:30 a.m. and tested about 5:00 a.m. BS reading 135. What’s going on? Any ideas?

Rick, read The Dawn Phenom Blues post on this site it has a lot of good info for you.

Yes, it’s dawn phenomenon. Many of us struggle with this. Which makes the simple question: What is your fasting level?, as if that would tell what our basal level is, absurd, because for some of us it’s the highest level all day.

Thank you Jay and Ellie for your replies. This Type 2 stuff is a little quirky isn’t it?

It seems to be good the rest of the day. Well now I guess I can speak like the folks on The Dawn Phenom Blues post. That damn morning reading. Since it’s not too high is there anything for me to be concerned about?

I exercise on the treadmill for 30 minutes every morning from 6:00 a.m. to 6:30 a.m. maybe I should try taking it after I exercise. What do you think?

Personally I check mine before and after exercise. but that tends to run your strip bill up. LOL
seriously try it a few times and see if you can get the gist of what’s going on. remember your doctor can only do so much, the rest is up to you and you alone, well hopefully some of us can give you some good advise too. good luck my friend and keep us posted.

It will probably be higher after 30 minutes of exercise but if it is ignore that the long term benefits are way more important.