Newbie to T2 Learning as I go

I am so glad that I found this group. So much info and support. I have been a T2 for almost 3 months. I am on Metformin 500mg 2x/day. When I was diagnosed my BS was 350 and my A1C was 10.1. A month later my BS was 179. I will be getting another A1C in one month.

Through the recommendations of this group, I began eating to my meter and have been able to keep my BS in the 120 range prior to eating and in the 130 range after eating. I adjusted when I take the Metformin to at midnight and at noon. It helps with my GI issues and it is keeping my fasting numbers in the 120-130 range upon waking. I have watch my carbs very closely and have been increasing my exercise. I also have lost 31 lbs since first being diagnosed.

My question for the more experienced here: Should I continue to strive to get my BS numbers even lower? When I met with the CDE, she stated that since I have been maintaining my BS in the recommended levels that I should be happy and just continue status quo not trying to improve the BS numbers.

When I dropped my BS from 350 to 179 in one month, my MD's office stated that I should aim for 100. Is that possible for T2's?

While I am not trying to pat myself on the back, I think I have been doing ok with this crummy disease. I would like to protect my eyes and feet and to keep complications at bay as long as possible. I would welcome any thoughts. Thanks

Wow you're doing really good,congratulations!

Personally my main goal is to never go over 140, and you are meeting that. A fasting of 100 is a worthy goal and would really help your a1C, perhaps upping your metformin could help you do that.

Great job!

I would definitely go for lower numbers if you can do that without having too many hypos. There are plenty of type 2 who can get totally normal A1c but many have to use insulin to do that and or eat very low carb. I'm not sure if metformin causes severe hypos or not the way insulin does. I would aim for 90-100 fasting and 90-100 2 hours after meals. If your CDE doesn't agree get a new one.

Hypo's not a risk taking only metformin.

It sounds to me like you are doing an excellent job. There is no magic numbers with T2 or T1 for that matter, the number you should strive for is the best you can achieve.

T2 is an extremely varied disease, there are many sub types. For that reason the results that can obtained is different for each person. Different people require different treatment to get similar results. For some T2s, notice I said some, it is possible to get near normal BG's. You are doing excellent with your diet and exercise, way better than most.

Your current numbers are acceptable but why not shoot for better. If it doesn't happen then that's the variable part of this disease and there is no reason to beat yourself up.

Remember that if you aim for nothing you will hit it every time.

Although new to this community, which has been so beneficial to me since finding this valuable resource,I'm not new to T2D, having been diagnosed in 1982.

A Very commendable improvement over your initial A1c, to be sure. Good luck on your next lab result!

As Gary points out, this condition we share is so very individualistic, to include not only the blood sugar lowering and regulating meds we take, but to also include the food choices we make, and how those choices effect our individualistic targets and goals.

You've made really good progress. I firmly believe, it's improvement not perfection that matters, not only with managing a condition like T2D, but in managing any other areas of life, being very proud of your accomplishments.

Best wishes.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I was getting very crazy worrying that I was not meeting the "normal" 100 number. There are folks who have told me that damage to nerves, etc., occurs in the 140 range. I also have noticed that as I have taken the Metformin and losing weight the numbers are slowly going down. I don't want to get lazy in believing that my current numbers are "good enough" & not work further, but I also do not want to get nuts over not meeting 100 if I can't get there for my body. That is why I was asking for opinions from folks who are a lot more experienced with this disease than I am.

Thank you again. I will continue to work at this with your support.

Mmy goal after I got over the shock of the diagnosis was that I wanted to work towards not taking the Metformin and control T2 with diet and exercise. I hope folks on this forum don't think I posted my progress for a pat on the back, but there is so much bad info out there and the health "professionals" are not on the same page with info and when they give you info such as you will be on insulin anyway and it is way more easier than taking pills - a newbie such as myself gets confused and wonder if I am doing the right thing. It is so good to hear from folks like you that have been able to control your diabetes with work, diet and exercise. I now know that I just might be able to meet my goal. Thank you so much

"Normal" is a slippery concept. As others here have pointed out, it's different for each individual. One of the most salient characteristics of this insane disease is that every individual responds differently to diet, medication, and everything else. What works perfectly for one may be useless for another. And vice versa. This is such a perennial issue that we have an acronym for it: YDMV (Your Diabetes May Vary).

That said, I'll echo another point made above: the lower you can get without significant hypos (lows), the better. The point at which you begin to experience unacceptable lows will tell you where your limit is. When you hit that point, back off a bit and you will have found your own personal "normal". As a (very rough) yardstick, fasting blood glucose levels for non-diabetic, non-obese, non-pregnant people tend to cluster in the low to middle eighties.

One thing you learn sooner or later about diabetes is that, no matter how great your medical team is, to achieve real, lasting control, you must become your own "expert". You have to control it yourself. No one else knows your body like you do, and no one else is there 24x7 to take care of it. Sounds like you figured that out already!

Along those lines, among the torrential flood of books on diabetes are a few really excellent ones from which you can learn really useful things. Here are a few of the very best:

Jenny Ruhl, Blood Sugar 101: What They Don’t Tell You About Diabetes (Turners Falls: Technion Books, 2013)

Richard K. Bernstein, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, 4th. ed. (New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2011)

Gary Scheiner, Think Like A Pancreas (Boston: Da Capo Press, 2011)

Last but most emphatically not least, you'll find this community to be a fantastic resource. It's an endless source of shared experience to draw on, and a safe place to communicate with people who truly understand what you're dealing with. Sometimes what we need most is just the ability to talk to someone who gets it.

You have absolutely, positively come to the right place. Welcome to the family!

You're doing great. Keep in mind that even people who do not have diabetes get BGs above 100 often - they just don't go above 140. A target of 100 is really just a bullseye. If you can regularly keep yourself 70-130 (with 100 in the center), you'll be keeping yourself in a healthy range. Even if your numbers aren't perfect each day, being motivated towards a goal is a good thing.

Nice post, David!

Best wishes,

Marty

Hi debsgsd,

I want to give you a pat on the back for sure! I know that's not what you're asking for, but you've done a really wonderful job of taking charge of your diabetes! Please honor yourself for what you've accomplished!

Best wishes,

marty1492

Thank you David. I will definitely look into the books you mentioned. I am a person who wants to know as much as possible about something, especially my health. We only go around once (that we know of) so we should do the best we can. I am glad that I found this group and thanks for the welcome.

Thanks Marty, this was such a frightening diagnosis especially not receiving any information from the MD and the rather "interesting" info provided by the so-called "experts". I have a german shepherd who developed a pancreas problem called EPI - the vet didn't even know much. But through searching a found a group who also had dogs with EPI and together we learned from each other and I am happy to say that my dog is doing well at 10 (which is starting to get up there in age for german shepherds). We have to take charge. Thank you again for the atta girl - I really appreciate the folks here and all of your support.

Also a Newbie to T2 but Frustrated!!!

I was diagnosed with T2 2 weeks ago (too early to vent??) I had no symptoms of diabetes other than tired during the day but I chalked that up to my work which has me working odd, long hours and traveling constantly.

I'm not overweight, I lost 60 lbs 10 years ago and changed my eating to a healthy vegetarian diet. My reading (one reading) that triggered the Diabetic response was 11.1. My daily checks are between 5 and 7.

I went for a routine Physical and was immediately put on Metformin 500mg x2/day,Ramipril 5mg and Rosuvastatin 20mg and told to "keep doing what i was doing"(?).
The side effects I am experiencing are far worse that what i was feeling before I was diagnosed. Tired constantly, light headed, muscle pain, joint pain….

I worked last night and almost passed out twice not to mention the loss of strength. Very frightening.
Going to see my dr. later today to discuss. My meeting with a diabetic nutritionist is 2 weeks from now.

Just frustrated that after one reading, your whole life gets thrown into turmoil.

Being a newbie,I have found this group to be so helpful. It is not too early to vent. These folks in this group allow us to vent and will give very helpful info. The ramipril and rosuvastatin could be the reasons for the tiredness and muscle/joint pain. I read that statins cause a lot of problems with muscle/joint pain & the blood pressure meds ramipril could cause the tiredness. Definitely talk with your doctor.

I am not an expert being a T2 for only 4 months now, but I have learned to do research (including the info provided with this group)and read as much as possible. For me knowledge is power as I am commited to (at least) try to control T2 & not allow it to control me. But I have had lots of issues with MD and the diabetes educator - lack of info. I have learned that with the research & learning as much as I can about this terrible disease I can talk with the MD/educator/nutritionist to be able to form a plan that works for me. Again I have learned that there is not a one treatment plan fits all. We have to be active participants so we can manage our conditions. I understand the frustration being a newbie - I got frustrated then angry that the "professionals" were lacking in their giving me info. My main piece of advice as a newbie - find MD, etc., that you can work with, if you can't then fire them & find someone that will work with you. Please take advantage of the experience of those in this group - they will help you. From one newbie to another - you can do it.

Robert, be sure and see an endo and have antibody testing to make sure you are not, in fact, a Type 1. I was misdiagnosed as Type 2 simply due to age as were very many of us. If you are a type 1 those meds won't do you any good (and with side effects you might want to consider insulin anyway even if you're type 2).

I'm truly sorry that you have T2, but I'm really glad you found us. Unless you have made major changes to your diet, I really don't think your side effects sound like diabetes related. They really sound like medication side effects. The most common side effect of metformin is gastric distress and for Ramipril it is a dry cough, I really doubt they are causing problems. What I would suspect is the Rosuvastatin (Crestor) which is the harshest statin on the planet and you have been given the absolute maximum dose. Side effects due to statins are widespread and are consistent with what describe. To see if your side effects are medication induced, stop your medication and see if the symptoms are reduced and then restart and if the symptoms reappear you will have isolated the culprit. I do hope you feel better. You should make any medication changes in consultation with your doctor, but be prepared, doctors don't always listen to patients and are dismissive of claims of side effects. This is your health, consult with your doctor, but you don't have to just submit to a treatment that you believe may do your harm.

Thank you for the input. I'm thinking its the Rosuvastatin as well. Off to see my dr in an hour. Going to get a big piece of my mind!!!! I'm not a medication type person. I'd rather not have to take anything so to get immediately put on 3 meds that are messing me up, not a happy camper. Must be a better way.

As usual, Brian's analysis is a bull's eye.

You should also ask WHY you are on the statin. You didn't mention any lipid issues in your post, and that is what statins are for. However, as Brian pointed out, statins have pronounced side effects and you are on the most powerful one out there. IMHO statins are well worth avoiding unless you have really entrenched cholesterol issues that won't respond to anything else. I ditched mine some time ago and the side effects disappeared with it -- and I was on a much milder one than you are.

As an aside, if you take a statin you may also want to consider supplementing your diet with Ubiquinol (CoQ10). CoQ10 is vital to heart, liver and kidney health and one of the well established side effects of statins is to deplete the body's supply of it. Definitely consult a qualified practitioner* before taking any action, but it's worth checking into.

*A dietitian, naturopath or a doctor who is up to date and knowlegeable about nutrition (you'd be surprised how many aren't).