I have a question

I HAD A CAR ACCIDENT THE OTHER NIGHT AND THEY SAID I WAS OUT WHEN THEY GOT THERE ?/I COULD HEAR THEM IT WAS LIKE I WAS SEEPING BUT ?? THEY TOOK MY bs AND IT WAS OVER 400…WENT TO HOSPITAL AND GOT CHECKED OUT.IM OK JUST ACHES AND PAINS NEXT DAY ETC.THEY WERE SAYING SOMETHING ABOUT D K A ??? MAKING ME SLEEPY SEMI AWAKE? AND I DONT REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED JUST PRIOR TO THE ACCIDENT??WEL IF ANYONE HAS ANY THING REPLY SO WE ALL CAN LEARN
THANKS

Do you think that they meant that DKA caused the accident? Or was a response to it?

I have heard of people having very high insulin resistance and high blood sugars after accidents…

hmmmmm

I am thinking you were in shock when they got there. Not uncommon in a car accident. The high blood sugar could well be the result of the adrenalin rush from being in a car accident. I got hit by a car when I was 19, I was around 200 when the emergency folks tested. I was a heck of a lot more normal than that before I got hit…

As for DKA, EMT folks are going to be pretty sloppy at deciding if you were merely high or DKA… High blood sugar alone does not mean DKA. Thats high blood sugar with the presence of insufficient insulin causing Ketone being generated by the burning of fat for energy, and the final and most important threshold would be how low your blood Ph had fallen… To be diagnosable as suffering DKA you need all three problems… Just having high blood sugar no matter how high can just be high blood sugar, and 400 is uncomfortable, I would claw my way through a steel door to get to insulin, but 400 would not result in being unable to drive safely

Ivan

I think that’s what they said.what is dka??? really?? I think I was just out of it?

Thanks

what is DKA really?? and I think I was in shock?? but at the time didnt remember how I got there?/

Thanks

It’s possible that it wasn’t DKA and it was just your body reacting. How have your blood sugars been since there.

To read some about what DKA is, click here and here.