I love food

Okay I will admit it, I am a carb-a-holic, probably the worse thing to be and be a diabetic. I know a few non diabetic people who don’t really think about (food) eating all day. I on the other hand love to eat, why o why did God pick me to be a diabetic.

My question is, takes me awhile to get there, is…do any of you diabetics on this board not think about and crave food most of the day? What is the quote do you eat to live or live to eat?

I would have to say I eat to live because sometimes I have to force myslef to get atleast 30 carbs in me otherwise I know I’ll feel sick later. but yes I too am a carbaholic. after a few weeks of being diagnosed I told my Dr I no longer enjoy food I just eat enough to not get sick. ofcourse I still eat things I like just less. when people say
"I love sweets I would have a hard time being diabetic." I say its not the sweets lts the carbs! the bread the pasta. that what hurts me. I just what to fight the urge. although once I decided to eat a turkey sandwich AND a Dairy Queen peanut buster parfait and I felt terrible for the rest of the day. I knew it was comming but I wanted that ice cream. havent done that since.

Karen, I was diagnosed type 1 not too long ago. One thing that I’ve learned that is actually true. At least as far as my body is concerned…I develop cravings when my sugar gets too low. If I keep my BG between lets say 90-130 I have absolutely no cravings for anything. When you have no cravings that means your insulin and body is working properly and your BG is within a good range.
My dietician told me that carb cravings simply mean that your body is starving. If your insulin is getting the glucose into the cells as it should be then this shouldn’t be an issue.
I was told that you also have to change your mind set. Learn to eat to live and not live to eat.

I’m thinking about food a lot. Especially since I eat on schedule at work. Every time I look at the clock, i’m thinking about how long it is until I next have to eat or test. I get hungry an hour before some of my meals (still trying to work that one out) and that hour can go by so slowly.

For me the big craving is always for carbs - usually fries or baked goods, both of which I can’t eat but very tiny portions of, so I usually avoid them altogether.

However, it’s not that bad. I may be thinking about it, but I’m not often in a bad/depressed/upset mood about it. I get frustrated more often by my blood sugar than by my cravings.

I have a pretty insatiable sweet tooth, which leads me to eat a lot of things I really shouldn’t. It isn’t nearly as bad as it was before I was diagnosed, though.

like eric, i get carb cravings when my sugars are dipping. usually they measure around 4.1-4.7 if they are within normal range, or even when i’m having a mild hypo (around 3.6-3.9mmol). this usually happens around mealtimes or sometimes at bedtime. that said, i have had to wean myself off potato because i love the stuff but it makes my sugars spike quite badly. they are now an occasional treat. i have no problems with rice and rice based products though, as well as pasta. i am quite happy that my friends can eat all sorts of things right smack in front of my face and i won’t crave what they’re having…much. unless you’re talking about lays potato chips or my favourite local shaved ice desserts. then i pretend that i am blind.

I think about food all day, and it’s usually what I can’t have! Thank God the rest of my family can eat almost anything in front of me and I don’t want it. Then again I have alittle support because my oldest daughter is a diabetic too, but not her dad or my youngest one!

I am horrible with food. I can’t even tell you the amounts of junk food I used to eat pre-D. I have gotten pretty good at controlling myself at home, but I’m bad when I go out, bad when I’m stressed/have a pressing deadline or am unable to prepare my own food.

This week at the doctor, he asked me about the difference between one bad Tusday (where my sugars were in the 300’s) and one good Wednesday (where my sugars were in the 90’s all day). Let’s see, on Tuesday I ate a cheeseburger, onion rings, and a pint of ice cream. On Wednesday I ate a salad, string beans, tuna, a few cherries and some mixed nuts. Seems pretty clear to me.

Anyway, I’m trying to take it with the whole “one day at a time” type concept. I just need to make good food choices today. I am lucky in that I don’t have temptation in the house - no bread, no candy, no desserts. The only carb-laden foods in the pantry are some white flour, white sugar and uncooked wild rice. I have to cook or go out to have something bad.