I need advice...about the pump!

I don't know much about the pump. I don't know what kinds there are, which are more affordable, etc. I am, however, very interested in getting one. My diabetic friends say it made their lives SO much easier than having to use an insulin pen. I have crappy insurance, so I don't know if I'd be able to afford it...can anybody give me some advice? :) Thanks!

Well there’s lots of options! I’m a pod pumper! I had state health and it was granted! So even with junk insurance you can get them. That said most insurers and endos want a tight log of sugars for at least 3 months prior to granting a pump. Then you pick the pump that works for you, pick it by lifestyle, cost, what your insurance does and doesn’t cover ect. It’s easier in some ways yes, in others no! You are tied to a device 24-7, you go low faster, if it messes up(occluded) you go high faster. You beep like a R2D2. It’s a learning curve, you gotta be prepared but its the best choice I ever made!

Thank you!! The next time I visit my endo, I'll definitely have to ask him about it. But that won't be for like another 3 months or so. So, perhaps I should start logging everything now to save time! lol, I have just always worried because a friend of mine has a pump that cost 7000$, and I always felt like I wouldn't be able to afford it. I should really start working harder to get what I want rather than giving up. >_< I always hear great things about the pump, I sure hope I can get one.

I would recommend that while you take the time to log your bgs for the next 3 months also do some research into what pump will work the best for you. there are several out there and new ones on the horizon.

Animas
(877)
937-7867
Deltec
(800)
826-9703
Accu-Chek
(800)
280-7801
Medtronic
(800)
933-3322
Insulet
(781)
457-5000
Sooil USA
(866)
747-6645
Model Ping
Cozmo®
Spirit®
Paradigm Revel
OmniPod
DiabecareIIS
another is the Tandem t:slim new
Medtronic has the integration of cgm and others will be integrating with the dexcom in the future.

I have tried several but not all and my only suggestion is to do the research and read other areas on this website to know what others think of the pumps they use and what issues are common with them all. No pump is perfect and it will take time to set all the insulin settings, nothing is an over nite remedy. they are work, but when things are adjusted right they are better than doing MDI.
Some pump companies do work with people about the cost, make calls to see who can assist with the cost for making a payment arrangement of co-pays if needed and what the coverage amount is that your insurance will pay, they can find that out within a day or two. then you can go with the one with the features your looking for and cost effective for you.
Like I mentioned I have tried several and I go with the features that work for me, some pumps beep or vibrate louder than others, some have volume control. Some the screens are hard to read in the sun and others are very readable in all lighting situations.
Everything is personal preference, good luck in making your decision.
check with your endo or doctor about samples of the different insets for each pump to know a preference for yourself also the only one that doesnt have an option that I know of is the omnipod. another pump that is known to be marketing soon is the solo, this another tubeless pump. The amount of information on the different pumps can be overwhelming but dont let it get to you.
Again good luck in making your choice.

Oh this is so true! Research research research! Your lifestyle plays a big part! For example, my pump (pod) has a high failure rate with pods ( though they are replaced by the company, this can take several days and cause you to waste insulin. It’s bulky and shows through clothes. But I have a two year old who loves buttons and wires and stuff he can’t touch and I felt a tubed pump would not work for my lifestyle right now! If he wasn’t two I’d have gone takin all the way! I liked its interface and small design better! Plus a lot of them you can try out through the reps with your endo. Feel them touch them, work the interface. It’s changed my life and I love it!

Oops Tslim stupid autocorrect!

lol, okay, thank you! I did not know there were so many options. Kinda intimidating...but I won't let it get to me. :) I will talk with my endo. I didn't know there were pumps without tubes! Dang, I've been a diabetic for years and I still don't know a lot. Are there pumps that tell you your blood sugar level without having to prick your fingers?? Thanks SO much for all the advice!

Every pump seems to have its pros and cons. I tried the Omnipod as a demo, thinking it would be best for me. It doesn't have tubing. But I found that I kept whacking it on countertops, tables and desks. Instead, I went with the Animas Ping. I've been on it since July 10 and I love it!

I had very high morning blood sugars for the first couple months. I'm getting it under control, but it was a learning curve for me. I took injections for 38 years, so making the switch took some adjusting.

I paid $7,000 for my Ping. Through my wife's health plan at work, $4,000 was covered. My health plan covered about $1,100, and I paid the rest out of pocket. I'm fortunate to have 100% coverage for supplies, otherwise it would be too expensive.

I haven't had any cons w/ my Medtronics, first 722 (2008-12) and now a 523 (the improvements help...). Great equipment. They aren't quite as fancy as the Animas ones that have color screens I guess but I like the software a lot and I like the simplicity of the design. 4 buttons and they pump insulin. Mine has survived several bike wrecks, a couple of Tae Kwon Do mishaps, a couple of falls on ice running outside in the winter and training for 2x marathons. It blew up in a hot, sweaty run last summer but I had a new one the next business day.

Re the pricking your fingers, you have the option of a CGM but they work better if you check your BG w/ a meter reasonably frequently.

Thanks, Acidrock! So many to look into. I've got a lot of research to do. :)