Worth the Price?

I have been on a “test” loaned pump out of my doc’s office for a couple days. It isn’t too much of a pain to deal with having something connected to me. If it were not for the high price of the pump and ongoing supply costs I would totally use one. But…I don’t make a ton of money and I am terrified that the cost wont justify something that admittedly I might be able to somewhat mimic with MDI. HELP! Please give me your opinions on this!

If the long lasting insulin with short acting bolus’ work for you and you have good control with good fasting glucose control, and don’t have big spikes and lows, then stay with it.

I pump, and I have MUCH better control with my pump, and have normal fastings and everything. There are downsides though - like; you truly can eat whatever you want.

I don’t know what insurance you have, but I think without any insurance at all - my insulin would cost more than my pump supplies. I guess you’ll have to do some research on pump costs - whether you can get on medicaid or something, and how much better control you’ll have - the better you’re controll, the longer your life.

If it weren’t for insurance, there would be no way I could afford to pump. My husband and I stay with companies that offer top notch insurance plans, having 2 kids with diabetes, in many ways, our insurance policies dictate a lot about our lives. I know that without insurance, we couldn’t afford them, even though we love the control and flexibility they allow. I don’t know, if, we needed to pay a higher percentage of our income than we already do, if the decision would be so easy. Is there any possibilty you could get on a better insurance plan?

Find out what you are eligible for, any type of asistance or what your ongoing costs will be. No one knows your circumstances better than you do. I found that when I was on a basal/bolus MDI regiment, my Ha1c was lower, but I had many lows, and started to lose my hypo awareness. The pump allowed me to fine tume my basal delivery, and the memory features help me from overstacking insulin. If I had to go back, I would, but it’s worth quite a bit to me, and I doubt I could convince my girls to go back to MDI for more than a short pump vacation.

Good luck, I do occasionally feel guilt about the costs, but then again, I have few doubts that pumping has improved my control so much, that I will have many more productive years contributing to society. It’s almost a moral dilemna, but then again, do I feel guilty for the central air and heating in my home? You could call them conveniences too, but image trying to live without them. And my pump does make my life sooo much easier and better, it’s a hard decision for people that need to make a financial decision based on it, or have a hard time with the social consciousness of it. I pump, but there are third world kids that die for the want of insulin? Somethings really not right, and I help where I can, but I didn’t set up the world plan either. . .

You might be interested in the OmniPod, which has a much lower up-front cost (but higher cost of supplies long-term). Visit www.myomnipod.com
Most insurance policies cover at least part of the cost of pumps, by the way.

I can say that moving to OmniPod after 20 years of MDI has changed my life, it is totally worth it for me. I wrote some about it: http://bewarethepenguin.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-experience-with-omnipod.html

I feel like the pump has allowed me to live a more normal life than without. I am not as limited by specific schedules. I can have alot more freedom from carrying alot of stuff with me - as when I go to the mall - the pump is already attached so all I need carry is my meter. I feel more like I am in control of my diabetes instead of it controlling me.
But you definitely need insurance to meet the costs - otherwise why worry about going to the mall if you have no money to spend!

Rose,

The pump is not entirely frustration free, but I don’t think my 16 year old son would go back to MDI. At the moment his costs are covered via our provincial government together with private health insurance, but I don’t know how we would afford his pump without the group insurance that my husband has through work.

Cheryl

Although I never thought I had all the answers about diabetes, I just started injecting insulin about 3 months ago (Lantus Solostar) and now (as of 2 weeks ago) added the Humilog Pen to my daily activities.

This is more work than just taking the pills so I am looking at pumps but have a few (thousand) questions.

From what I have read here, the PING appears to be what I need BUT looked at the OTC price and that makes it a ‘no go’.

Yes, I have insurance but haven’t asked them about the cost YET. Should I assume that the cost to me after insurance will be considerably lower than what I am seeing advertised ONLINE?

BTW: I do understand that the final price depends on the insurance company, the coverages, and the exact phase of the moon. I am looking for ‘ball park’ numbers.

Should I also talk with the manufacturer, someone else, ???

Hate to say this but, what is ‘bolus’, ‘basal’, ‘CGMS’, ‘MDI’, etc.

I guess I and my body are adjusting to the insulin injections and it appears that ‘we’ are NOT 'on the same page yet.

I still do 1000mg metformin X 2 per day and 2.5mg glyburide X 2 per day along with the Lantus X 1 per day and the Humilog before every meal according to BG at that time and then later when I ‘see’ how high the ‘spike’ is. Always have to carry the Humilog with me as I am away from the house a lot except to sleep.

Also I am reading about the remote and the pump ‘talking to each other’ but it appears to NOT be bi-directional. i.e. check your BG with the meter, it calculates the right amount of insulin to be injected, and with your permission, it injects that.exact amount into you. Did I get that right???

I have the UltraSmart meter and the software for a few years so ‘downloading’ the data to my computer is ‘2nd nature’ and if a ‘wireless’ interface becomes available, I will get it to ‘lose’ the USB cable for transfer.

Thanks in advance for your help and comments.