Resources that help pay for pump

Hello,

my doctor just recently asked me if I would like to get on the insuline pump. I've been looking at information and I'm starting to lean towards it. I was just wanting to know if any one knew of any resources that actually work with helping get an insulin pump. I was on a website and they looked like they worked with people in order to help get one. Is this true?

I'm also looking around because I don't think my insurance will cover the cost of a pump.

Any information would help...

Also any cons to having the pump??

Thanks,

Jamilia

Hi Jamilia,

All of the pump companies have a department who’s job it is to help you find ways to afford the pump. A lot of times these people can be VERY helpful in determining if your insurance will cover the pump or not, and if it won’t, they often have information regarding other payment assistance that might be out there. I would recommend contacting the company of whichever pump you are interested in, and asking them to help you get started on the process.

If you do get on a pump, I am confident that you will enjoy it. Most people say it is a major improvement in their quality of life. And don’t worry, even if for some reason you don’t like the pump, you can always go back to MDI with no problems.

I wish you well in getting started on pumping!

Thanks,

Are you a current pump user?

Yes, I have a Minimed Paradigm. Fighting insurance to pay for it was a real battle, but totally worth it.

Other popular pump models besides the minimed are the Omnipod and the Animas Ping. There are groups on this site for each of the pump brands, and lots of members that are willing to share about the pros and cons of each. Here is a site that has a comparison of some of the most common models. http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/insulin_pump_models.php

I’ve been looking at the minimed, that was the one my doctor showed me.

Yes, I was also going to tell you that once you make your decision which pump you want, usually your doctor will contact that company and the rep will be the one to train you about its use. I’ve had mine for almost eleven yrs now and I will say that the pros outweigh the cons. It’s funny now to look back and remember that I sometimes checked my blood sugar only twice a day in the injection days – when getting the pump the one thing I heard the most was that I would be checking my sugar a lot more and that is true!! I can’t imagine how I used to go through those days without checking at least four times a day. The thing is, you want to keep checking your sugar because then you know for sure that the pump is delivering (don’t worry, there are built in alarms if it’s not delivering, I just mean that when I did injections I knew for sure that I had put insulin in my body but with the pump I had to get used to not seeing that happen.)

The pump is wonderful; I basically got it because I have two sons and they had gotten to an age where they wouldn’t accompany me into the ladies rooms anymore when I needed a shot but they were still too young to leave outside at the zoo or wherever and that was difficult! My doctor allowed me to go on the pump and that was freeing. It’s also wonderful when going out to eat; no more taking insulin at home and rushing to a restaurant before sugar plummets or having to use a dirty bathroom for the injection!

I guess I will say that the con is weight gain. I remember I had been warned that weight gain would probably happen and I of course swore that that wouldn’t happen to me, but it did. It’s ok though; I’m happy with my control and my good health. It’s a small trade-off now.

I hope this helps somewhat with your decision and I wish you the best!! I hope your insurance will decide in your favor or that you find help from a pump company!

Thanks, I guess one reason why my doctor wants me to get on the pump was because I no longer have a real appetite and i’m eating once a day and a lot and my blood sugars are up and down. I’ve heard lots of good things about the pump so it’s gettin me excited. I never really had a problem doing my insulin when going out to eat and I think that’s because i see more and more people with diabetes when I go out.

I work a lot and i’m in school, so one concern my doctor has is the whole working and eating…

You said checking blood sugars more often… that shouldn’t be a problem since I’m at three times a day… Was it hard to adjust to the pump besides the weight? is it frightening at first?

Yes, frightening I guess is a good word for it. Like I mentioned, it was strange to count on this little machine and to just trust that it was doing its job since we diabetics are very “hands-on” in our care. In the first few days I was constantly looking at it! I had been a diabetic for twenty years at that time and the pump was a big change from four injections a day. But after a couple weeks I was pretty confident that I could trust the pump. I guess since you’re only eating once a day this will be good for you because you can count on the basal rate and not have to worry that maybe too much insulin is left over from a previous shot. That should be much better for your blood sugars.

Otherwise, the adjustment really wasn’t difficult. It’s very easy to wear and to sleep with. (I have a MiniMed Paradigm in case you’re wondering.)

This group might also be a good place to get some more info on pumps.

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/pumpingourinsulin

Hey jae if you are looking for a pump that you want to help with a1c and blood sugars I think you would love animas ping I was on the mm for 4 yrs and I gained tons of weight and my A1C’s were in the 10’s and it was a big mistake in getting it I have the ping now it was the most wonderful decision I made in my life! My pump is the love of my life now! I love it! But I was just fillin you in but it’s your decision but hope you get one that fits your life style :slight_smile:

A good education in Diabetes is what helps pumping to be successful. It’s not the pump that helps make better a1cs it’s the information you receive before pumping. I’ve been pumping for more then 10 years and realized after I had been pumping for awhile that education is the key to better a1cs (even after 51 years of living with D there is never enough information). When pumping you will have to monitor bs more frequently then before. How many times depends on how much you care about good management.