I really want pizza!

I was wondering if anyone had a healthy (low on the calories and carbs) pizza dough recipe for me. I can’t seem to find a recipe…

Hopeee someone can come up with one because I’m craving a pizza for dinner =(

Thank-youuuuuuuuu x

Low carb tortillas can be good for making thin crust pizza!

Big Ed’s Pizza here in Oak Ridge, Tennessee is awesome. Crust is home made, sauce is amazing - I got a small Special - it’s a 10 inch pie, I believe - no problem with the blood sugar, and tasted great.

The other possibility is to do what I did the weekend before last - haul all your possessions across a roof in the burning hot sun for 4 hours. (Long story) Ate a slice of pizza, took no bolus, and still ended up low 2, 3, and 4 hours post :slight_smile:

– Dov

I find I can eat one good slice of pizza (I make my own with fresh ingredients, no tomato sauce) and a large salad and it satisfies my cravings. Since the recipes make 3 pizzas I have so many leftovers that I get really sick of pizza for awhile which works too!

I second Kristin’s suggestion, build your pizza on a low carb tortillia. all the recipes we tried at home for crust either didn’t work or didn’t taste good.

I have several. They don’t measure up to real dough, but are very low carb.

Here’s one. The entire crust has only 7 carbs! Hope you like it. Make it as thin as you can because it’s doughy.

Low Carb Pizza Crust (Makes a pizza that is about 12 inches in diameter, although you can spread it thinner and larger if you want.)

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups golden flaxseed meal (can get at many supermarkets in the health food section)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
3 Tablespoons olive oil
3 eggs
1/2 cup water

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 425 F.

Mix dry ingredients together.

Add wet ingredients, and mix very well.

Let sit for about 5 minutes to thicken.

Spread on pan.

Bake for 15-18 minutes until cooked through, then add toppings and cook until they are done.

Nutritional Analysis: Whole crust has 7 grams of effective carbohydrate, plus 52 grams fiber, 47 grams protein, 130 grams healthy fat, and 1525 calories.

I use a flat bread that is 6 carbs and it’s quite big. Usually in the deli section, it’s called flat out flat bread. If you use the italian herb one, it’s fantastic. I use tukey pepperoni and low fat cheese and tomato sauce and it doesn’t spike my sugar(my sugar is never in the right ranges) Best part about it, the peice of bread is rather large so you only want one :slight_smile:

I just made one tonight - but it’s made with a cornmeal crust (just cook up in vegetable broth and a few spices for 5 minutes - toss in abit of parmesan cheese - pat in a spring form pan - viola crust is waiting for the sauce /veggies / cheese and whatever else you fancy (I put whatever I have in the fridge that I think will taste good). You have to first roast the veggies by themselves with the tomato sauce underneath for about 15 minutes - then throw on the cheese and let that melt for about 10 minutes and … are you salivating yet? A big slice (and it’s big) - is only 25g of carbs which in my books is pretty good… If I get a chance tomorrow - I’ll type it out here - or just PM me to joggle my memory (goes for anyone out there reading this).

Now can I go upstairs and not peak into the fridge for the leftovers that will be singing to me to “eat me, eat me”? I shall resist!!!

FatCatAnna (now you know why I’m called this - I love to EAT) - http://www.diabetes1.org/blogs/Annas_Blog

If you find one, let me know! I love pizza but find myself just eating the toppings and not the dough, which is unfortunate. I think that thin crust is supposed to be better on the carbs.

It sounds kind of weird but I’ve learned to love what I call a pizza wrap. I slide all the toppings off the crust and onto a large crisp leaf of lettuce (romaine works well) – then wrap it up like a burrito. You can also eat it flat, like a regular slice of pizza, if you’re coordinated enough to keep it from falling off the leaf.

I use lettuce, spinach or other greens instead of rice and pasta too, as a base for stir fries or Asian dishes or anything with a sauce. It took some getting used to but now I actually prefer it to the starch – no bloaty feeling afterwards, and no BG spike either.

We have made a homemade pizza and used whole wheat flour as the crust. We make it very thin, load it with meat and vegies, and use tomato juice as a sauce. It tastes great, and it does not affect me very much as far as blood glucose goes. This is the only way I can really “eat” pizza without having the normal spikes associated with it.

It depends on your definition of low carb. Bernstein low (as if any pizza is ever going to be that low) or just low relative to regular pizza? If you can take 30 g or so then you can make a pretty good one person pizza using a whole wheat pita for the crust. Top with vegetables/fats/proteins as you like and your diet allows.

Any of the Kashi thin crust pizzas, especially the roasted veggie is OK on the BGs. I have had lots of luck with it as far as a frozen pizza.

I make a pizza that my entire family loves.

I use very lean hamburger meat spread very thin on a cookie sheet. I season it, then bake til almost done and pour off the juice, then I put what ever I want on my pizza. It’s awesome! :slight_smile:

Agreed… this is my favorite least-effort way of making Pizza at home!

Forget pizza do something less harmful like sell your soul to the devil.

muahahaa I may