Ideas for simple snacks

Working shift work has been a full time job maintaining 5-8mmol but on nights find myself grabbing a bag of chips cause I just go blank when it comes to healthy snacks, any suggestions for quick snacks that are good for balancing sugar. Went to dietatican but most of what she suggested was not for me the only one I used was the tuna and crackers and I’m getting tired of that LOL.

Balancing blood sugar. That answer kinda depends on your situation. I think we are both on insulin, so if you are dipping a little low and you want something to take the edge off for a few hours, then protein is the trick.

You probably won’t like my latest favorite snack, liverwurst and cheese. I also have some serious cottage cheese issues, best serviced with a squirt of Sriracha. Besides tuna, there are lots of other fishies, sardines, herring and mackeral. I like to roll up deli meat with cheese.

I second the string cheese, always have some on hand. A slice or two of turkey or other deli meat rolled up with lettuce or cheese inside. Celery stuffed with cream cheese and sprinkled with whatever herbs you like. Greek yogurt with a few berries.

I love my Wasa crisp ‘n’ light rye crackers - 5 cho each - with any protein or cheese. Now I’m getting hungry! LOL

Celery and cheese, a few squares of 70% or greater chocolate with some pecans.

OOOO yeah, my 85% lindt, 2cho per square. I need some now LOL

I never thought about cottage cheese, used to eat it when i was a kid, some green onions, dash of pepper and half teaspoon olive oil. And yes I am on insulin but with shift work had hard time staying within range, on the pump now for almost a year.

sounds good, I love cucumber but never thought about picking up walnuts.

If you don’t mind me asking is Vivani the name on the bar and if so where can I get it?

I’d love to have a Lindt, my wife eats them all the time LOL. We are the complete odd couple she can’t get enough sugar and I stay away from it. HAhaha

My husband used to travel to Germany a couple of times a year and brought back THE most wonderful super dark chocolate. We have a friend there who visits a couple of times a year. She always asks what she can bring LOL Mostly chocolate and a few homeopathics :wink: Don’t think I’ve had the Viviani, I’ll ask for it next time for sure!

A square or two of dark chocolate dissolves beautifully in nice strong coffee with a little stirring. Add some almond milk and some whipped heavy cream and ice… swoon

I make a batch of cheese and onion flapjacks. I will give you the recipe but I am afraid as my maths is not very good you would have to find a conversion from pounds and ounces.

1 egg, lightly beaten and mixed with salt and pepper (watch the salt, cheese is salty)

1 large or two medium carrots, grated coarsely

1 medium onion finely chopped.

8 ounces of cheese (cheddar or other hard cheese to taste, and grated - could be low fat)

4 ounces of rolled porrige oats (not the Jumbo variety, they do not stick together well enough)

2 ounces of butter or margarine melted. If you still find it too try to stick together put some olive oil in to dampen.

Herbs of your choice - I used dry mixed herbs or rosemary, but there is no reason why you cannot other herbs)

Caraway seeds (optional)

Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then add the egg and mix well. Melt the butter or margarine and cool slightly so that the egg does not “cook” and mix this in. If you find it is still too dry to stick everything together add a few drops of olive oil or other “healthy oil”.

Grease the inside of a flat tray (a small roasting tray will do) and then pour all the mixture in and press down well - I use a potato masher, but if you have the strength, the back of a large spoon will do. It should be an even layer of about an inch, but this is not so important.

Turn the oven on to 180 degrees centigrate and put the tray in the middle of the oven. Cook for 20 minutes and turn around and cook for another 15 - 20 minutes - it is very forgiving, a few minutes under or over and it will not spoil, and you need to know your oven. Cover if it is going too brown.

Remove from the oven, cool until the tray is handleable and then turn out onto a cooling wire bottom side up. As it cools it will firm up.

Cut into small chunks and when totally cool, store in a plastic clippy box or something - divide layers with kitchen paper or greaseproof. Enjoy. It will last in the fridge for about a week - if you and your family can resist! I know that cheese can be fatty but you really only need small bits so it is not going to get too bad.

No sugar, oats are good for keeping blood sugars stable, carrots are vegetable matter, fibre and moisture, cheese and egg is protein - not bad!

Jack Sprat could eat no fat
His wife could eat no lean.
So betwixt them both they licked the platter clean!

That sounds really good! I will try it out. I shouldn’t be reading this section while I’m hungry!

String cheese, hardboiled eggs, nuts, lower-carb crackers with peanut butter, and sliced veggies (cucumbers, carrots, peppers, etc) are some of my favs.