Snack ideasanybody?

I have type2, which I control pretty well with Metformin,low carb diet and exercise and the occasional Starlix.
Today has been a horrible day. it hasn’t stopped raining and that rain feels cold ( by the standards of the mild South East of England). I’ve got thoroughly fed up. I’ve done some housework, some laundry, some ironing and made a couple of pearl bracelets( my hobby is jewellery making). I can’t even take the dogs out, it’s so awful out there. I can hear it on my skylights.
I’ve resisted eating the wrong stuff so far, but I’d love some ideas for good snacks. I’ve had bits of cheese and a couple of slices of salami. I’m looking for more and different ideas

I like meringue cookies made with unsweetened coconut and sugar free jello/ (jelly) made with orange zest, apple, walnuts and unsweetened cranberries.

Recipe please. I’ll have to leave out the coconut,though, because I really hate it… Sugar free jelly and whipped egg white might work though. thanks for the idea.

It’s actually your pavlova recipe with the addition of 1/2 cup of shredded coconut :slight_smile: but if you don’t like coconut you could add some cocoa powder or almond extract to add some flavour. I use liquid splenda so these have almost no carbs. I use 3 egg whites. The jello is a packet of sugar free with grated zest of one orange, 1/2 cup apple, cranberries and walnuts.

there’s nothing quite like evolving recipes round the world is there? Perhaps we should start a favourite recipes page. I have developed loads in my over 40 years of cooking.

Hi Hana,

You might try a tablespoon of peanut butter. Eat it slowly like a sucker. It’s loaded with healthy fat and protein and leaves you feeling quite satisfied.

Stir fry is high fat low carb low protein. It’s labor intensive to make. I take vegetables (there are a lot of common stir fry vegetables) and sometimes tofu, cut 'em up, put oil in the frying pan, put the vegetables in, fry, empty pan, fill pan, fry, empty pan, fill pan fry for a while. Then put soy sauce on the fried stuff and enjoy.
It can be made with things other than the traditional stir fry vegables- my mother has stir fried even grapes. The usual veggies are low carb though, and stir frying fruit (or corn- you might want to leave out the corn) is not so low carb.

nuts are good

Good idea! but there are only a few foods I hate, unfortunately peanut butter and coconut are 2 of them. Incidentally I also hate shelfish.that’s about it though

I like the sound of this one. i often have stirfried veggies with my meals. I’ve given uo rice though

I like to snack on nuts – roasted almonds or shelled pecans are my favorite. Another thing I’ve found for an occasional treat is REALLY dark chocolate – Green & Black makes an organic dark 85% bar that contains only 15 grams of usable carbs in the entire bar (also with plenty fiber – 10 g in the bar). It has a great taste, and a little goes a long way. I also posted a recipe an Atkins friend gave me for dark chocolate truffles in the christmas recipe thread here.

Another sweet treat is sugar-free gelatin snacks with whipped cream on top (real cream, not Cool-Whip). Another savory treat I’ve seen, but don’t particularly like (others might) is “baked cheese” – basically shredded cheese baked into cracker shapes.

But that’s my take on snacks.

Hana,

Probably NOT what you want to hear, but for ladies of our age the secret to weight loss is No Snacks.

If you are eating low carb for blood sugar control, it isn’t an issue, but you have posted you are trying to lose weight, so it is.

One tip is to try to come up with another behavior for when you are feeling aimless or in need of comfort. I’m very food centered, myself, so I know how hard this is.

That said, if you can handle the salt, one low carb snack that might work without damaging your diet is sunflower seeds in the shell. It takes a lot of effort to get them out of the shell, and you can spend a happy 15 minutes going through a 100 calorie serving and feel like you have eaten a lot. It’s the best popcorn substitute for the low carb dieter.

Nuts are a bad idea because they are so calorie dense.

I’m currently dieting and what I do when I get the urge to eat is to mix up a cup of low carb cocoa with hot water, a teaspoon or two of plain cocoa powder, and just as much cream as I’d put in a cup of coffee. For sweetener I either use none or a bit of either low carb pancake syrup or DaVinci sugar free syrup, both of which have splenda but no maltodextrin. The pancake syrup has a tiny amount of sorbitol and gives a bit of texture to the cocoa without raising blood sugar at all.

But mostly I’m just amazing myself at how often I think about food. Sometimes I have to just get Zen about it and observe it. It’s going to take me months to get off the weight I put on very fast with my novolog/Lantus regimen. so I’m just having to learn to say “no.”

You always come up with some good ones. However, from the picture, you’re a lot younger than me. I’m not actually a big “snacker”. I just wanted ideas. I’m retired and when the weather’s as foul as it has been and aI can’t go out and walk as much as i’d like to, I get bored. Sometimes in the last coupole of days. I’ve been tempteed to walk down to the River Thames to watch it flooding, which it is threatening to do. It’s about a mile away from me. Trouble is, my dogs hate rain as much as I do.

Hana,
One thing I’ve been doing later when I want a snack is having a cup of really nice herb tea. My grocery store had a sale of Celestial Seasonings Holiday teas and I bought a bunch of them. I am not a big fan of cinnamon but these have vanilla, orange peel, plum, roasted barley and other delicious flavours. They are natural, no sweetener and no carbs. Funny thing is, I am one of the few people who grew up in England who hates regular tea, so I feel I am getting back to my roots and tea is very comforting on a cold, rainy winter day.

I use those too and i’ve got mulled wine flavour now as well as thefruits

I also found this link about low-carb meals and snacks:

http://www.diabetesmine.com/2007/09/top-10-low-carb.html

About 1 carb per serving

12 large hard boiled eggs, peeled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup mayonnaise (or salad dressing
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon capers, finely chopped
1 red chile, ground
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, snipped

Cut the eggs lengthwise into halves. Slip out the yolks and mash with a fork. Mix the mashed yolks with the mayonnaise, cumin, capers, mustard, salt and the jalapeno pepper. Fill the egg whites with the egg yolk mixture, heaping lightly. Sprinkle with ground red chiles and garnish with the cilantro.

Sounds like Devilled Eggs Good Idea!

Hana,

I’m going to be 60 this summer.

It’s the hippie hair that fools 'em every time. Close up I’m pretty wrinkley and my joints feel every one of my years, but I’m fortunate to have inherited hair that stays its natural color into old age. And a personality that has never quite emerged from adolescence.

Ensalata Caprese - slices of mozzarella, fresh basil, and tomatoes with a little salt, black pepper, and olive oil. Fresh mozzarella is a godsend, and smoked mozzarella is fantastic if you can get it.

Another good match is a small chunk of parmesan reggiano with sliced pears or apples. (Think 1/3 parmesan, 2/3 fruit.) You can drizzle olive oil or balsamic vinegar over the top or eat it dry. Huge flavor in a small package, and easy preparation.

My mother likes to keep shrimp on hand as snack food. We buy them frozen and brine them as we defrost. (Soak them in water with as much salt as the water will hold. Should take 15 minutes to thaw.) We leave the shells on and lay them out on in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon or lime juice, then add salt & pepper. Bake for 5-7 minutes at 400 degrees. They’re good by themselves or as an addition to a spinach salad.