If I had one pump wish, it would be

I’m sure each one of us has a favorite brand/features and could think of several things for a “wish list” for our our pumps. I’d love to hear what you think about your pump. I invite you to answer this very informal survey in comments.

There are a few questions, but the first is the most important one. It can include anything to do with the pump system - the pump, meter, infusion sets available, or anything else that might affect your use of the system.

Also, no fair to answer that you want to be cured and not need a pump!

Also one rule, this is not meant to become a pump bashing session, or to become a session about my pump is better than your pump… it is just a wish list of sorts. :wink:

I’ll give this informal survey a few days, see how it goes, and if enough people respond I will summarize and post here as well.

(1) If I could have one pump wish, it would be…

The rest of the questions are optional, and only meant to give some context to Q1 above.

(2) The pump I currently use is…

(3) Other pumps I’ve used before…

(4) I’ve been pumping for (how long)…

(5) One thing I really like about my pump…

(6) One thing I don’t like very much about my pump…

Thank you for taking the time to answer, and I’m looking forward to reading your comments!

Here’s my attempt at answering…

(1) If I could have one pump wish, it would be… to have more complex settings available to me in the software that can can optionally be uploaded to the pump - i.e. if I want the firmware on the pump to suggest the dose, and just have me confirm it instead of entering it every time that would be faster and more helpful

(2) The pump I currently use is… Animas Ping

(3) Other pumps I’ve used before… MM512

(4) I’ve been pumping for (how long)… 3 years

(5) One thing I really like about my pump… bright screen of pump

(6) One thing I don’t like very much about my pump… meter is difficult to read/control scrolling (I know, that’s 2 things lol)

I don’t know if you know this or not, but the reason for the pump not letting you just confirm the dose instead of having to scroll to it is that Medtronic owns a patent to that feature. Don’t ask me how they got a patient to something that is completely obvious, but they did.

1. Pump Wish: To have an integrated and affordable CGM that would pretty much replace the need for a finger stick monitor…
  2. Pump Currently Using: Animas 2020
  3. Previous Pumps Used: None
  4. I’ve Been Pumping For: 5 months
  5. I like: The Animas is waterproof because I’m either in or around water a lot.
  6. I don’t like: Noting with the pump directly, but I hate having to carry the glucose monitor everywhere I go. Especially because it’s not waterproof.

My one pump wish would be to have a pump that was slightly curved in shape, so that I could hide it more easily in my bra (thus eliminating the square boob syndrome).

I use a Minimed CGMS pump. It was provided to me at no cost by my gov’s health care.
I used an earlier version of Minimed before my current pump.
I’ve been pumping about 7 years.
I really like the excellent A1C1’s and overall control I get with my pump.
I can’t think of anything I dislike about my pump.

Ahh… now I get it, and I didn’t know that. Seems to me with all the clever minds out there, there is some creative answer to that conundrum…

How on earth could they give a patent status to something that trivial? Another example how bad and damaging software patents really are.

I am not a pumper but I have these ideas for improvements:

(1a) The pump should be aware of the female cycle. It should be possible to tell the pump that the period has started (like the conception computers). This information should be used to alter the pump profile gradually with every day in the cycle. Maybe it would be enough to be able to set a percentual increase or decrease for every day of the cycle. Maybe a more sophisticated approach is needed but I am convinced that this feature could help female pump users that are affected by their period.

(1b) every pump software should be able to write its data to an XML file. This should happen with a simple Java program that runs on many operating systems. This way the industry trend to just support the windows operating systems for the pump software could be broken. At the same time it will allow pumpers to use the analysis tools they prefer.

(1c) manufacturers of pumps should unite to create ONE XML standard for the export of pump data. This to our benefit would increase the competition between different analysis tools.

Wow, you’ve been giving this some thought, haven’t you? Those are some great ideas, and I think the developers/manufacturers should take note! Good ideas!!

It is likely not a patent on the function, but the process enabling the functionality. As anyone familiar with patents knows, there are ways around most things! The real question is why Medtronic isn’t doing anything with it?

If I had one pump wish, it would be for a pump that pumped insulin and Symlin.

1. That I could trade it in for a working pancrease.
  2. Minimed 522
  3. Minimed 512
  4. Five and a half years
  5. I can bolus anywhere, any time.
  6. It’s annoying beeps.

Merry Christmas

Terry

Have it play MP3’s. I love music and so long as I am wearing it why not carry some tunes?

A really cool color. It is electric blue. Next time I am going purple

poked me int he side. i love the current pump becuase teh cartiridge seems more isolated in the oumop case.

Not really, I have been pumping for seven years, and I have been diabetic for 35 years.

it hold 300 units. The increased volume is the best.

I ant to trade it in more often. Ever tme I see or hear of a new feature I want it.\

rick phillips

1. If I could have one pump wish, it would be: no fingersticks
    2.The pump I currently use is: MM 722
  2. Other pumps I used: First
  3. I have been pumping for two months
  4. One thing I really like about my pump: Bolus wizard
  5. One thing I don’t like about my pump: Eats batteries.

A smaller size for both the reservoir (i.e. pod size) and the PDM…if cell phones can get as small as they are now, and do as much as they do now, why can’t medical devices that help sustain life follow suit!?
As part of this smaller PDM, I would also upgrade the user interface to include CGM capability all in one unit (again, if I can check my email, reply to this forum, and make phone calls all from my phone, why can’t I read CGM data and bolus my insulin amount from one unit as well!?)

Omnipod
The omnipod

Minimed 508
Minimed 722 (Paradigm) with Real Time CGM

6 going on 7 yrs.

(5) One thing Three things I really like about my pump…
The waterproof functionality of it, as well as the auto insertion feature and tubelessness (yep, it’s a word :slight_smile:

The non-integrated CGM (although I have heard June 2010 that is set to change…hopefully)

Okay so I have more than one wish…

To be able to wirelessly submit data to my computer (maybe via bluetooth?), to play music or have a game or something on it, and have expandable cartridge sizes- the 2ml is used before I have to change my infusion set- I basically use one infusion set to two cartridges, and one more thing- i wish the Ping showed you on the home screen the IOB!

The rest of the questions are optional, and only meant to give some context to Q1 above.

Animas Ping in Pink

n/a

a month and a half

is the bright screen and how waterproof it is

i know this is stupid, but it’s not the same pink as my cell phone and other devices… i wish they all matched… lol

1. My pump wish is to have a pump that has the option to attach directly to your skin like the Omnipod and also has an option to pull tubing out and clip it to a waist band or throw it in a pocket. That way I can have more options when picking out outfits.

2. The pump I currently use is the MM722

3. This is my first pump

4. I’ve been pumping for about 3 1/2 years

5. One thing I really like about my pump is not having to do injections.

6. One thing I really don’t like is the size, I was recommended to have the larger one by Minimed but I think I could have gone with the smaller one because I never use up the reservoir.

Chrissy I suppose one way to NOT quote “never use up the reservoir” ( ie waste of insulin ) content is to put less insulin in your reservoir , other than trading it in for the 522 …this could cost you ?.
I am confused about quote : “has an option to pull tubing out and clip it to a waist band or throw it in a pocket” …can you not do that now ? …please clarify for me …thanks.
Merry Christmas all .

How many batteries do you go through? When I used the MM512, the batteries would last last 5-6 weeks, depending on how many alarms I ignored :wink: Also vibrating would eat batteries like crazy. I also found that the recommended batteries (I think Energizers) lasted a little longer than the copper tops.

My one pump wish is it would be an all in one so I didn’t have to do finger sticks anymore. My ideal pump would read my blood sugar and automatically give me the proper insulin dose, a la my one working pancreas.

I’m on a Minimed 722

I’ve used Minimed 507 and 508C (I think)

I’ve been pumping for 11 years now

I like my pump for the ease of use

I don’t like the fact this Minimed pump is not waterproof. Minimeds were once waterproof, then the company decided the pumps really weren’t. Makes summers difficult with my 3 kids