In place of potato?

Potatoes are addictive, but they’re not friendly if you’re trying to keep carbs low. Got any potato substitutes or recipes that replace part of the potato with a lower-carb alternative?

My favorite is my own version of a German dish called Himmel und Erde. The name is a play on the German word for potato, which translates directly as “earth apple.” Using apples as part of this recipe cuts carbs, and I add sweet potatoes for the higher fiber content. That’s why I call mine “Heaven & Earth & Earth.” The type of potato you choose will affect the consistency. Red potatoes have less starch, so they’re a better low-carb choice. You could go so far as to leave out white potatoes entirely.

Heaven & Earth & Earth

2 potatoes
2 tart apples
1 sweet potato
1 tbsp butter
milk, cream, or chicken broth
salt
pepper

Cut the regular and sweet potatoes into 1/2" cubes. I leave the peels intact, but that’s personal preference. Boil them with salt & pepper. This is also a good time to add onion or garlic powder if you like.

While the potatoes boil, peel and cube the apples. Smaller pieces will cook faster. Cook the apples over medium heat with butter and salt until they break down to near-applesauce consistency.

Once the apples and potatoes are done (approx 25 min), drain the potatoes and mash them with the apples. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add milk, cream, or chicken broth until it reaches the consistency you like.

This dish is particularly good with smoked kielbasa and red onions. I like to cook the kielbasa & onions first, then cook the apples in the same pan so they’ll pick up those flavors. I’ve also mixed in spinach and fresh parsley. The leftovers are good if you spread them in an 8x8 or 13x9 dish and bake at 400º for 30 minutes to brown the top.

Thank you for sharing this great recipe. I have cut all salt & sugar. I’m not eating anything fried. And check all lables for carb and sugar content/ also sodium…I have real bad blood pressure right now…so i’m being very strict. I want to be healthy and also prove the doctor wrong.
Much Peace & and Blessings!

I recently posted a blog about Cumin Chicken. It calls for salt, cumin, and paprika. You could easily leave out the salt and still have a great meal. I like to use Indian cumin (as opposed to Mexican, which is easier to find) because it has a hint of fruity favor. Either is tasty, though. Searing it in the pan gives you a crust like frying, but it’s much healthier. It’s best done with a little oil, but you can sear without it.

The chicken stays juicy because of the searing process. I plan for leftovers because it adds a lot of flavor when sliced and served over a salad, either hot or cold.

Just ignore the part about the fried rice balls. (heh) Those won’t be friendly with your dietary needs.