Hanukkah

As Hanukkah is rapidly approaching (it begins the evening of 12/24), I’d like to ask people to post their lower-carb recipes for latkes. I’d like to go as low-carb as possible (while still avoiding sweet potatoes which gag me raw) as I do not wish to regain the 17 pounds I lost. (And my daughters have requested that I serve latkes for the entire 8 days!)

Thank you in advance.

If G-d had intended us to eat low-carb latkes he would never have created analog insulins

We have three 5 kg bags of potatoes (3 different varieties) ready for all the holidays…

3 Likes

Haven’t tried to make them yet, but I will this Saturday. I had a great-aunt who was a camp survivor, and we always had Hanukkah food around the holidays (even though we don’t have a lot of blood and I wasn’t raised as anything other than an “American of mixed ethnic ancestry”). I miss latkes, and this is what I decided to try this year (because I’ve had great luck with subbing cauliflower in potatoe recipes in general). The ingredient list is pretty straightforward and familiar:

½ head of Cauliflower
½ cup of Scallions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon of Golden Flaxseed Meal
2 Eggs
1 ½ teaspoon of Salt
½ teaspoon of Pepper
3 tablespoons of Butter
3 tablespoons of Sour Cream, to serve

I might throw some Xanthan gum in there somewhere, since I’ve found that helps cakey type items to hold up well in the absence of gluten.

2 Likes

My Slovak grandmother made potato pancakes which I think are essentially the same thing. Man they were good. Hard to miss with fried starch. :slight_smile:

I looked around and saw a recipe that substituted grated zucchini and almond flour for the potatoes and flour. It’s similar to a recipe I’ve made that bills itself as zucchini hash browns. Pretty good, but didn’t really taste like hash browns. The key is to get as much water out of the zucchini’s before cooking. One recipe advised salting, resting and then squeezing.

I’m going to try them again but this time label them as potato pancakes or latkes. Maybe the name change will make a difference. :yum:

1 Like

It turns out that potatoes are a new world food. Historically Latkes were made from cheese. Here is the link to my Cheese Latke recipe (jeez, was it really five years ago?). To make them a little fluffier, add a 1/2 tsp of baking powder.

3 Likes

This is sound advice when substituting any vegetable for a potato. Nothing quite “gels” like potato starch, and most vegetable substitutes end up “watery.” The salting, resting, and squeezing technique works really well for turning cauliflower into “almost-but-not-quite” potato in recipes.

Incidentally, it’s also really useful to salt, rest, and squeeze grated cucumbers when making tzatziki in order to avoid a watery final product :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This thread got me to thinking about another ethnic food pierogi’s. I found a recipe that made the dough out of almond flour, Xanthan gum, salt and eggs. Might just work, thanks for the tip

1 Like

As are many (?most) of the members of the family Solanaceae that are used in cooking. I wonder what they used in India and Southeast Asia before Chillies were introduced.

There are native “peppers” from Asia and Africa that were (and still are) used in local cuisines.

• Black Pepper (Piper nigrum) is native to southern India and SE Asia

• Long Pepper (Piper longum) is native to C. Asia and was (and is) used from N. Africa to China

• Also used a lot of other “spicy” spices, like cumin, ginger root, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom.

But the “heat” we associate with Asian food came primarily from black pepper and long pepper (the latter of which most Europeans and Americans haven’t experienced, but is generally “hotter” than black pepper).

1 Like