Infusion set comparison

When I starter pumping a couple of weeks ago with my Medtronic Minimed 522, I was offered two choices for my infusion sets, including the Silhouette and The Quickset. I wasn’t particularly attracted to a manual insertion of the gigantic needle, so I settled for the Quickset infusion sets.

Now I’ve decided to compare a few different sets to see which one I like. The full story is here in my blog

Does anyone have any suggestions of sets to try?

Cheers,

Henry
Author D and The Guy

The quickset works for me. However, I switched from the 6mm to the 9mm and get better results.

got it Dave,

I’ll probably give the Sure-Ts a try at some point.

Cheers,

Henry.-
Author of D and the Guy
Melbourne, Australia

I am trying the Sure-T out today …I have done the others from MM , pumping since 2001 ( 4 types , incl the 6 and 9 mm ?) …amazing I had a low 20 min. ago …a bit unusual for this time of day .
I will call MM for a few more samples and if they will consider supplying longer tubing with the Sure-T 's . I was wearing tight jeans , have Sure-T in my leg ( as I was not going to do heavy exercise ) and did at times feel pressure on the set, however have had same with others…presently I seem to be sold on this one …Thanks Dave :slight_smile:

I was afraid of the “long scary needles” at first too, but after quicksets failed to work reliably for me (lots of kinked cannulas from both lengths) I gave the sils a try, and surprisingly, really liked them… insertion is really not any more painful than the quicksets, it’s just much more intimidating.

quicksets never worked for me. I use the inserter with the silhouettes. I can’t do sure-T’s they seem to give me irritation :frowning:

silhouettes long needle for me you can hit more sites since you can adjust the depth of the needle by inserting it with your hand. Stay in better with less leaks. Don’t let the long needle scare. For me it is much more reliable. cannula doesn’t bend as easily as the 90 degree sets.

Dave, I had a sense you had been in touch with MM about lenght of tubing topic…I just learned : I have to call tomorrow ( MON ) /orders and will ask for more samples and discuss length of tubing …I may be like you : sound like a broken record …and it is worth it :wink:
Now, 7 hours after insertion , when I press on the infusion set hardly any discomfort …if this works for me …even less insulin useage !!! More home work , but worth it :wink:
Thanks Henry for your post !!

Silhouette’s for me (and the first time i’ve spelled that word correctly on the first try!). I started with the quicksets, But could never get consistent results - much easier to find a good site when self-inserting, and using the angle… But it does seem to relate ALOT to body type. I also notice the sillhouettes stay in better when running around or getting light tugs on the tubing.

Sils > Quickset, in my opinion. Especially if you are leaner.

I called MM this morning and 3 more samples will come my way . The lady and I discussed tubing length and she gave a Canadian e-mail address…next a letter off to them . She also mentioned, that MM is looking at longer tubing …sounded positive , but good to let them know , that there maybe one VERY interested gal from Canada using Sure -T 's .
PS …the wonderful world of infusion sets /pumping :wink:

Silhouettes gave me “pump bumps”, and quicksets kinked all the time. Sure T works great for me.

I have tried both the Sils and the Quicksets.

For a long time, I had great results with the Sils(13mm length)…but I haven’t been of lately. The site itself starts to look red an irritated on day two, and I barely get three days out of it now. I don’t know if it is because of the heat of spring/summer or what. Also, I have had a lot of bleeders suddenly (blood right up the cannula into the connection of the tubing).

So I started using Quick-sets again (6mm), and they have been working well for now. I have been doing a lot of arm sites, and always seem to get good results there. I will say, I definitely like using the Quick-serter, and prefer the ease of putting the site in over the Sils.

I have heard a lot about the Sure T’s, I definitely think those are worth a shot.

i am sorry.but am i missing the point?
i mean.a lot of people likes sure T’s,i really dont understand.i am not a pumper,YET,but i am going to be,and i want to make the right choice when it comes to an important thing like this.
doesn’t wearing sure t’s means wearnig two infusion sets,or to be more exactly,two needles,thats what i have seen
and it doesnt have an inserter’
the same thing with the sil’s,it seems long and thick
no offence,but i just think if i am going to choose
the qualities i am going to look for are “”
-the length of the tubing(it has to be in two lengths)
-the needle is a mystery to me,what is better,metal or plastic?
-an inserter is diffenetely a positive

i really would apreceate if some one gave me a hint based on experience

I have been pumping for 4.5 years and I started with the Quicksets with the 9mm canulas which was really nice, to start with. I changed to the Sil Sets after about 2 years and then about 6 months ago went back to the Quickset but went with the 6mm set. I have never had any problems with the Quickset it has an inserter, which I have to have. Sillouhetes also have an inserter which I used. The problem I had with Sillouhetes was that I had problems with it leaving a lot of scar tissue in my insertion sites. I have never tried the Sure T’s so no comment on that. Quickset has 2 lengths of tubing, I think the Sil does too, I always go with the shorter length. Both of these sets have metal needles that are in the middle of the canula when inserted that are pulled out and what is left is a flexible plastic canula in the insertion site. I hope this helps. It is scary when you first start pumping!

Saya, “doesn’t wearing sure t’s means wearnig two infusion sets,or to be more exactly,two needles,thats what i have seen” …
I thought , that maybe Donna or Dave may respond to this better than I , but I’'ll try and for visual effects google Sure-T infusion set ( I don’t know how to place the MM set here ) : the Sure -T consists out of 2 parts, 23 inch tubing .Part 1 about 4 inch tubing and the infusion set with a 6mm very fine metal needle ( no inserter required ; place it where you want it to go , press ) .Part 2 , attach to clean skin …this is the part , that you can disconnect with the 23 inch tubing… One has to have the tubing filled ( both parts ) prior to attaching to clean skin by priming the pump . Leave a bit of slack between part 1 and 2 .
I have contacted MM Canada about tubing length…I really prefer 40 inches ; have not had a response …next week a call to them to follow up .Who knows my e-mail is in cyberspace ?
Did I make " it " clear ??
And why not ask for samples of all types, when you start pumping ?

The Sure T only has one length of tubing (23 inches). There is a very short tiny needle 6mm, but seems even shorter that can simply be pressed into the site without an inserter. The other “site” that you are seeing is just an “anchor” taped to the skin a couple inches away from the site where the set is disconnected. There is no needle there. It is simply taped to the skin to prevent any tugging on the needle and possible displacement. Hope this helps answer your question.

Jacqueline,thanks a lot for the information you gave,i sure would need it in future

thanks nel,you are a wonderful reacher,i too was hoping for dave since the only word he would say is sure t’s and he sems enough of an expert to me too!
so then it is true,two infusion sites!thats :(, :0

so donna you mean the other (infusion)is simply a mere tape!i still dont get it,just place extra adhesive and thats all,why double the site?
and iam really grateful for you for w=explaining,i just cant get it

Saya, ONLY one infusion to deal with ; the other part is used for as Donna said : " anchoring ( ie needle dislodging …the word Medtronic uses ) AND disconnecting " . I googled Sure-T infusion set again and the picture MM shows is : top part left is the needle part , attached to the bottom right part , where you can disconnect.. One would not want to take the needle out , every time one disconnects. Some people are allergic to the teflon of a cannula set , instead can use the needle .
Oh , I wish I could show you in person :wink:
PS I think Donna responded at same time as I did ( 18 hours ago ) !
I was taught to train oneself to use manually insertion with any of the other sets. Serter may break , misplaced , forgotten to take along on a trip etc. etc.

Quickset, 6mm, 24 inch tube works very well for me.