Infusion set question

I disconnected from my pump to get a bath and forgot to put the little cap on my infusion sight, then got dressed and reconnected. should I worry about any bath water getting in the set and causing an infection or am I ok. I have only been pumping for 2 weeks, so I am still new at this

I asked my trainer this, and she said, the only time she worries about it, is if she is going to swim in a lake.

thanks for the quick response, These sets are expensive, I would hate to have to change it to soon

well i use the silhouette infusion set and bout my senior yr of highscoo in 2005 i took a shower right before scool and didnt use the cap, well after lunch that day i went to bolus and it wouldnt let me, soent home and took my site off and found that the cannula was packed full of soap, soo it may depend on the kind of set u use but i would advise to use the cap incase of that situation.

I always put the cap on. It’s important to do because the water that gets in it may temporarily compromise your insulin absorbtion. I’ve had short lived highs after showers attributed to this.

Oh, you learn something new every day. I hardly ever use it; but I guess I ought to.

Thanx!

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI

Same here. I’ve never used that thing. Where am I going to carry it that will keep it sterile, anyways?

I’ve never used the caps in almost 9 years of pumping. Not while swimming, bathing, showering, etc.

In about my 4th year of pumping, I finally realized what that little plastic thing was for!! It took me years to figure out what they put a small plastic piece in with every infusion set. (Obviously, I didn’t care enough to actually research it).

Now I actually do use it (most of the time). For the quickset infusion set, it seems less important than with the Silhouette (that’s just my impression). Also, if I disconnected for initimate moments, the Silhouette would really scratch my husband so I usually put the cap on the Silhouette then.

Yep, that’s all the cap is good for.

I suggest using it and not being to freaked out if you don’t. I am about a 50% user, and i have always gotten along well. Should you use it? Yep. Should you be upset if you don’t? I dont think so.

Rick Phillips

I did that too once or twice and nothing came of it.I wouldn’t make it common practice but I don’t think it hurts if you forget a couple of times.

LOL. Thanks, Dave. I agree. I have used Minimed Softsets, Minimed Quicksets, Fifty50 sets, Cleo 90s, Animas Insets, and Animas Inset 30s and have capped NONE of them over the years. No change in blood glucose, no change in adhesive, no change in my infusion cannula.

And I shower. sniff sniff Maybe not often, but… Just kidding.

I’ve been pumping for five years. I don’t use the caps. I throw them away.

In all my years of pumping (22+) I’ve never caped my infusion site.

I actually recycle mine (is that crazy?).

I know it is small, but I figured that years of pumping add up. So I throw them in with the plastic recycling.

Every little bit counts when it comes to saving the planet!

Wonderful tips here from voices of experience…thanx

thanks everyone for all the responses, if I have any more pumping questions I certainly know where to go

Hi Lynn,

It’s unlikely to cause any problems for you. I would perhaps use the cap if swimming in the sea or similiar to prevent any salt etc blocking the set but bath and showers should be fine! I’ve used and trained people on several different sets including flexlink Insets and now cleos and not had anyone experience any problems!! Hope you get on well with your pumping!

Les