Insertion

You’re also going to find out that certain sites aren’t going to work as well for you as others. You’ll get to know these areas pretty quickly as you’ll find the infusion set either doesn’t last very long, gets irritated quickly, or just doesn’t work and you’ll end up high.

Once you get an idea of what sites don’t work for you, you’ll have a better idea of the best places on your body to put them. Personally I prefer the lower back, abdomen, and inner thigh. If I go too high on my lower back/love handle it doesn’t work well at all.

If you’re using a straight set now, I would strongly recommend trying an angled set such as the Inset 30 - I switched to it and I haven’t looked back. At first I was concerned with the length (13mm vs. 6 mm) but then I realized that it really wasn’t that deep because it goes in on an angle. On top of that, the angled sets for me seem to stay in place better and have a smaller chance of being disconnected or pulled out.

That’s just my two cents though. I’ve been pumping for just over a year now, and have been loving it since. I would not go back to MDI if I had the choice, pumping is just so much easier once you get into the routine of it.

The Animas infusion sets at least have a sealed end. Water, or other liquids, can’t get into it without a needle to push through the rubber stopper. If you look at the connection you’ll see what I’m talking about - a small metal cannula that inserts into the infusion set itself.

The only time that I’ve found I really need to be careful is when I plan on disconnecting when around something like sand - at that time I either remove the set completely and put a new one on, or put the cap on it to protect it. :slight_smile:

Hey Marti,

My pant waist buckle is the worst… It always comes out because of my belt (usually if I wear it middle sides). Lucky for me, there are lots of other good areas to use.

Zoe,

Yes, I use IV3000. However, I use them differently from most people. I don’t cut holes in mine, I actually put the whole thing on my skin, and then place the infusion set. So in other words, I pierce the IV3000 with the infusion set. My skin seems to heal faster this way. In addition, the adhesive from the infusion set is not in direct contact with my skin. Why is that important? well, when I sweat after a workout, it does not wear-out quickly.

-Yogi

I have been pumping for 16 1/2 years, over 5 years with my Animas 1250. I use Inset 9mm straight sets and have only had one bent canula in that 5+ year period. Apparently the straight sets don’t have as much of a problem with bent canulas. I have inserted into my abdomen, thigh, and rear, although I prefer my abdomen.

Make sure you are holding the Inset case directly on your skin, pushing down firmly before you squeeze the rim to release it. I can see how a canula could get bent going in if the Inset case moves at all while inserting. I then tape down my site with Tegaderm because I am allergic to IV3000. I have bathed, taken hot showers, sat in hot tubs, gone swimming, etc with the site not coming loose. My Animas rep instructed me to put the Tegaderm on the skin first with a small hole cut in the middle, then insert, but I find it holds better if I cut the Tegaderm in half, placing one half on the flat skin level side under where the set attaches, and the second half over the bump part after I have inserted. Now they never come loose.

It will take practice. I can’t insert a set that doesn’t come with an inserter even though I have been doing this for years. I love the Inset sets, except the tubing length is not what I would prefer.

Michelle
Western Washington State

Thanks, Michelle…practice, practice, practice. I guess they don’t call it a learning curve for nothing!

Michelle,

Despite the fact I’ve just started pumping since about October, I must agree, I don’t think I can use an infusion set without an inserter. Even when I was on shots for about a year, I still hesitated before I injected. I guess it’s a mental thing…

Yogi

Zoe,

I find it fascinating that every one of us are so very different in how we take care of our diabetes. I guess this is the best part!! There are so many options, no one has to be stuck with one way of doing anything… Thank God for that!!! LOL…

Yogi

Use the IV3000’s. Also, use the tape on the back of the IV3000s to tape down the edges opposite where you cover with the IV3000.

Another trick is to use a tongue blade to make sure the set stays tight against the skin when you pull the insertion device off. One of the twon problems I had was when the cannula did not stick well. This is the reason for the tongue blade.

I have used the INSet 9mm x 43 inch tubing for 2.5 years with only two glitches. The IV3000 tape trick above works great.

I’m glad you posted this… I just got mine this week and, as we speak, am getting ready to change sites for the first time. Did they not assign you a nurse for the first 4-6 weeks to monitor your insulin adjustments and to answer your questions for these issues? It sounds like you need to do a basal test and try a temp basal to see. If you check your workbook there is a lot of information in there. Best of luck!

Hi Kaayle and congrats on your new pump! No, I just had a trainer come twice. They offered me a phone contact to adjust numbers but I refused it as I’d rather do that myself, and to me having to call someone every day would be more of an annoyance. I’m pretty used to managing my own doses. Yes, in addition to learning proper technique for insertion, I’m also working on fine’-tuning my basals. I’ve actually read every word of the manual (the 215 page one that comes with the pump not the 75 page one online - I read that too!) As we say in Spanish, “poco a poco” - little by little. Lots to learn! I rely lots on the experience in this group! Hope you’re doing well.

For all of the new pumpers with good computer skills, one way to work is to download the pump and email the data dump to the Animas Clincal Manager helping you for the first 4-6 weeks. When I did this, they would email back pump changes. I would make them and repeat every 1-2 days.

BTW, the pump DLs included BGs as well as bolus and basal data. If you use ezCarb, it also includes the carbs you entered.

I don’t work with a Clinical Manager, Jay; I just figure my own changes (with input from you guys!). I haven’t gotten to the software yet, one learning curve at a time! I’m also learning a new course management software for the classes I teach so I have enough new technology for now!

But thanks for the suggestion, and since I’m not the only newbie I’m sure it will be helpful to others.

Zoe, if you are having highs such as you have listed, it may be a good idea to get with one of those Animas nurses that can assist you. I haven’t had an issue with highs just lows lately and we have knocked my bolus down a bit until I start staying within normal and not getting lows… She’s been awesome in taking the lead for me while I learn the rest of it… Like you said earlier… “poco a poco” … It could be helpful for someone to assist getting you normal while you get used to the rest of it. Just a suggestion. :slight_smile: I definitely have to agree that there is lots to learn and it is over whelming at times. I’m right there with ya! Best of luck!!!

Thanks, Kaayle, I’m pretty used to doing my own doses since I started insulin while living in a third world country and didn’t have much useful guidance! I made some small changes to my basal rate yesterday in keeping with the suggestions of pumpers on here and so far today it seems to be working out very well! If I got into a more severe problem or one I couldn’t handle I wouldn’t hesitate to seek professional help but for now I’m doing well with fine-tuning on my own and with input from all the amazing experienced pumpers on TuD! I also have a Type 1 Women’s Group I started and we meet once a month and they are nearly all pumpers; I get lots of useful info from them as well! Thanks, though, I do appreciate the support and suggestions!