Insulin Pump Starting Today!

So I think it has been months since I started the process of getting an insulin pump. It’s something that I’ve wanted to do for the longest time but was only brave enough to follow through with when my new endocrinologist told me he thought it would be good for me. Surprisingly, the insurance approval and purchase of the pump was the easy part! I believe my pump was in my hands in a matter of a couple of weeks. It’s the damn classes that have taken forever. I had to take a class to learn about the pump choices, take TWO classes to learn about counting carbs and insulin units, take a class to learn how to “press the buttons”, and now…today is the class where I actually put the thing on :slight_smile: I’m a bundle of nerves. I have to leave the house any minute now. It feels like a life changing event. I never thought I would be so excited about something involving my diabetes. I have very high hopes for this thing. The people I have spoken to who made this jump have been very pleased with it. This whole time I’ve been waiting to start I’ve been taking notice all of the times when having the pump will be more convenient. Those times when I forgot to grab my insulin, or thought I wouldn’t need it and I did. Or, yesterday, in my rush to be on time for work, when I grabbed my ice pack, my syringes and my meter. Got to work, ate a BAGEL, opened my bag and guess what wasn’t there? My insulin. I felt so stupid. But if the insulin is attached to me I guess I won’t forget it :slight_smile: And then there are those times when I’m in a public place and I’m paranoid that if I pull out a syringe no one will realize that yes, we young people (I’m 27 this month but I have always looked years younger than I am) actually do have diabetes. Will they think I’m taking something illegally? :slight_smile: This disease seriously has the potential to make you very paranoid. Even if people never notice me taking my insulin I swear that they do. And there’s always those people at work who know I’m diabetic, walk up and see that I have all of my supplies out, and feel that it’s socially acceptable to stand there and watch! And then ask me questions, “What’s your blood sugar?”, etc. I hate that. Seriously hate it. But I try to remember that they’re ignorant. And unfortunately I’m too worried about coming off as a jerk to be the one to put them in their place. Anyway, hopefully pushing buttons on my pump will be less embarrassing to me when these people intrude upon my personal space. So many things to look forward to! I hope I’m not disappointed.

Off to change my life!

Cassie

Exciting Cassie!

The pump takes some time to learn, but I think that you will love it. I agree that I like the fact that I cannot forget my insulin at home. It’s on me at all time! :slight_smile:

Let us know how it goes!

i wish you luck
it’s hard at first but it’s worth it :slight_smile: