Insurance and Insulin Pumps

Hi all,

I was just diagnosed with type 1 in January of this year after being misdiagnosed with type 2 in 2014. I’m looking into getting an insulin pump, but it seems pretty expensive, even after insurance coverage. I wanted to see what people thought about it and if it’s worth the extra $$$ to spring for the pump. I’m specifically talking about the Omnipod. Any thoughts?

It’s different for everyone. All I can say is that pumping with the OmniPod system is a huge positive for my daughter. Much less hassle than needing to schlep around pens or needles/syringes, only one needle every three days when it’s pump change time, and the bolus calculator is a definite plus (although it is used for suggested boluses which are often increased or decreased a bit). The most important aspect of pumping (for my daughter) is the ability to set many different basal rates in her basal profile and the ability to suspend insulin or set a temporary increased or decreased basal rate for whatever reason. You just can’t do these things with long-acting insulin.

Ok, I guess it just really depends on whether you are willing to spend the extra money for the pump and supplies? It seems like such a nice convenience. Does your daughter have an issue with keeping the pod in place? I feel like that’s a big complaint. And have you tried any other pumps with her - and how did they compare in price? Thanks for your response - first question I have posted!:relaxed:

Welcome to the group jpax. I chose to buy the Omnipod. It was more expensive initially for the start up, but the monthly cost for me (on my insurance) works out to be the same as what I was paying for Lantus and Humalog. Because I do not buy Lantus anymore, it turns out the price for the pods is actually a little less than the Lantus was.

I wanted a pump because I can set different basal rates throughout the day (think backround insulin, but I can change the dose). Also, I was unable to exercise to lose weight on injections. I would drop low if I didn’t eat extra food, and if I ate extra food to keep my glucose up, then I lost the benefit of the exercise (again, with a goal of weight loss; I know there are other benefits).

I have also found that I need different insulin to carb ratios throughout the day, and you can manually do that with pens/injections, but the setting is in my pump so I do not have to think about the math EVERY SINGLE DOSE. I was so tired of using a calculator every time I wanted to eat something.

As for pods falling off, I have only ever lost 2. I use Skin Tac on my skin prior to placing, and it only comes back off if I soak it with alcohol. (Purchased off Amazon, the liquid bottle has lasted over a year)

Good Luck. Remember Diabetes is different for every person, so what worked for me may be different for you, and always follow what is best for you!

No problems whatsoever with keeping Pods on. Just make sure your skin is clean and dry, use an alcohol wipe first, wait until it has evaporated completely, use Skin Tac or IV prep (available in wipes the size of alcohol wipes.) OmniPod is the only pump she’s used, so I can’t compare it to other pumps from experience. Choosing OmniPod was a no-brainer, as my daughter doesn’t want to deal with tubing and needing to disconnect when bathing or swimming. We have good insurance (BCBS Federal); diabetes is expensive regardless.

Thanks for all your input! I think I’ll give it a try. I’m going to get the sample pod this week, so I’ll keep y’all posted on how it goes. It’s nice to have people around who know what they’re talking about! I’m a nurse, but this has all been very overwhelming to absorb. I can’t imagine dealing with this and having no medical knowledge at all. Thanks again for all your helpful tips!!

1 Like

Insulin Pumps give you flexibility and control that you can’t get with shot therapy. PERIOD