Interesting Talk From Doctor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhLBPPtlrY

This is a brilliant video - I urge everybody to watch it

Here some more to add from a different angle http://www.diabetes.ca/diabetes-and-you/diabetes-dialogue/choice-or-chance/

?? How do you access anything on that site?

Are you asking me( Nel ) Consume Jan ??? ...if yes : www.diabetes.ca .Would my response be satisfactory or you like more /better direction ?? Please let me know ...thanks .

My own experience with T2 and obesity supports what the Dr. says; especially about how little is known about both issues. I've always believed that doctors blame patients for obesity and diabetes because they have no other answers & don't think outside what they've been taught.

We had discussed this video earlier. I am a big fan of Dr. Attia.

I think that our Canadian friends are perhaps ahead of the ADA. The language nel cites i certainly more accurate in characterizing type 2 diabetes. But we still see so much confusion with "risk." Risk means an association, not a cause. And I quote from the link nel provided:

While the causes of type 1 diabetes remain unknown, there are a number of key risk factors for type 2 diabetes:

• Being 40 years of age or older
  • Having a close relative (parent or sibling) who has type 2 diabetes
  • Being a member of a high-risk population, such as those of Aboriginal, Hispanic, Asian, South Asian or African descent
  • Having a history of impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose
  • Having complications of diabetes, such as eye, nerve or kidney problems
  • Having heart disease
  • Having a history of gestational diabetes
  • Having high blood pressure
  • Having high cholesterol
  • Being overweight, especially around the abdomen

Think about it. Do diabetic complications "cause" diabetes? If you have a history of impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose, does that "cause" diabetes? Do heart disease, high blood pressure or high cholesterol "cause" diabetes? No. These are all likely symptoms of diabetes and it was diabetes that "caused" them to appear.

And why do we leap to suggesting that being overweight "causes" diabetes? We know that diabetes causes high insulin levels and that drives weight gain. We know the mechanisms that govern how this happens. We have established that large blood sugar and insulin excursions can cause people to be hungry and overeat. Yes, added body fat can make you more insulin resistant, perhaps 30% more, but that doesn't explain how your body can go from producing 1000% of your needed insulin to being diabetic.

And now as Peter Attia and Gary Taubes are advocating, we are really starting to understand that being overweight may not be the problem, the problem is our diet. A diet high in carbs may well be a very big problem and causally linked the rise in diabetes. And this hypothesis flies in the face of the establishment. Peter Attia feels strongly about this, as a doctor who wants to help people he feels like he has harmed us. Unfortunately, most healthcare professionals are not so open minded.

I think it's a fine site, Nel, thanks for sharing it. I thought I'd be directed to an article that related to the video. My name, by the way, is not a misspelling of the word "consume," although I think that's funny considering I have a few pounds to lose. I live near the Cosumne River, which was named after the "people of the salmon." "Cos" means salmon and "umne" means the people.

I am also a big fan of Dr. Attia and appreciate the research he is doing.