Introducing Me!

Hi! My name is Elaine and I have been type 1 for 26 years. Just today I faxed the paperwork to get my first pump. I’ve been reading several different blogs for the last year to get some ideas of what life with a pump will be like. I’m not sure I will completely like it, but I still think it’s for the best. I’m 45 years old, married and have an almost 19 year old daughter. I’m the only diabetic in my family. It came on pretty quickly after a bad case of food poisoning when I was a freshman in college (my daughters age now). So that’s me in a nutshell.

Welcome, Elaine! I’m right there with you on the pump. I will hopefully be starting this week.What kind are you looking at – or I should ask, what will your insurance pay for? Have you known many other T1s?

My doctor only works with Medtronics. I wish I had more choices, but I guess I’ll start with what they know. My insurance is a 70/30 with a $500 deductible, so I end up paying around $2000. I’m juggling funds to pay for it.

Hi Elaine

I’ve been on pumps for about 9 years, so that’s 26 years off pumps. It was a huge change for the better.

Sorry you’re stuck carrying the cost for so much of the pump. Will the insurance be better for the supplies? I do hope so.