Ironman NZ 2010

Ironman NZ 2008 seems so long ago and now I’ve signed up for another. I plan to race Ironman NZ 2010 on Saturday 6th March for a cause so close to my heart. Diabetes Youth NZ http://www.diabetesyouth.org.nz/ is a voluntary society established to provide support for children with diabetes and their families.
Since being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus in 1992, I have learnt to manage my exercise, blood glucose level, insulin intake, and nutrition through much trial and error. Before undertaking Ironman NZ 2008 I wrestled with thoughts about potential issues like… how much CHO should I take, should I reduce my basal insulin rate, would I stop during training/racing to test my BG levels…Many of my questions have since been answered. In November 2007, 6months prior to Ironman NZ 2008, I start a new insulin regime administered by a Cosmo Insulin pump. This proved to be beneficial to my training, racing and overall quality of life. During the race my BG levels were perfect (T1 5.1mmol-L, T2 7.7mmol-L and at the finish 5.2mmol-L).

These little people with diabetes test, inject, count carbohydrates and treat hypoglycaemia all day, every day and need our help. Type 1 diabetes cannot be prevented or cured. It is an auto-immune disease in which the body’s immune system destroys its own insulin-producing cells. Managing Type 1 Diabetes requires constant attention to balancing a good diet and exercise with the insulin injections required to replace the insulin the body is unable to produce. The management routine is stressful and relentless, and it can lead to medical complications in later years if not followed rigorously.

You can help by donating to the following link… http://www.fundraiseonline.co.nz/Heidi-JaneHumphries/. I will donate $50 of my own money every month until Ironman NZ 2010 in March. I challenge you to give what you can and help Diabetes Youth NZ provide the well needed education programs and camps.

Way to go Heidi-Jane! I have visited, and donated. All the very best - please let me know how you get on. Nic

soooo coool!! I am training for my first iron distance here in the US in september! FWIW check triabetes.com there a bunch of t1 and t2 triathletes

Very inspiring. I hope you will keep us up to date on your progress as you train for March!