Is there a link between low body temperature, thermoregulation, and diabetes?

“The experts” say that by the time one is diagnosed with T2 diabetes, over half of one’s islet cells have been compromised. “They” also say that our diabetes can exist in a subclinical state for years before diagnosis. We’ll probably have to wait another generation or two for researchers to piece together the interactions of genes, environments, and triggers for all types of diabetes before clear paths of development emerge. Once that happens, hopefully we will be able to “catch and treat” insulin metabolism disorders before diabetes, and its associated complications, can take hold.

There’s a bit of a rub here… something that makes me think that either there is already a precursor sign or symptom. I suspect that rather than diabetes being a cause of feeling cold, or the two conditions existing alongside each other, hyperglycemia (and/or diabetes) may be a secondary effect of thermoregulation issues (i.e., body temperature consistently lower than “normal range”, and/or constantly feeling cold). If so, then I may have been nursing a predisposition, or a subclinical version, of T2 for almost 30 years before I was diagnosed. And if my hypothesis is correct, there may also be a correlation between thermoregulation and Dawn Phenomenon.

In Survival of the Sickest: The Surprising Connections Between Disease and Longevity (Harper Perennial, 2008, ISBN 978-0-06-088966-1), Dr. Sharon Moalem posits the evolution of (T1) diabetes as a survival benefit in extreme cold environments. He does this, in part, by bringing our attention to plants and animals whose cold-weather survival behavior is to eliminate excess water, raising the concentration of sugars in the living tissues, and thereby preventing ice crystals (and death).

I had another near-hypothermic episode last night, while I was (arguably) wide awake, and I also know that when I wake up shivering at night or in the early morning, my blood glucose levels will be higher than normal for me.

Based on my normal oral temperature being between 97.2F and 97.9F, and having assorted issues when that temperature drops below 97.0F (which it does frequently enough in winter), I have to presume that I have some issues with thermoregulation. My doctor has done tests to figure out the cause of blue fingers in cool environments and ruled out the obvious; we had just let it drop as “a side effect of the diabetes”. While the technicolor nails are a new development since diagnosis, feeling cold in a room that is barely below “standard” temperature is something I’ve been dealing with since seventh grade. The trigger was a bad HVAC system in the junior high school (no heat at all in one room, too much heat in the next room, seemingly random distribution). One would think that absent the stress, the response should disappear. It didn’t. (BTW, I have comparable issues with hot-and-humid environments.)

Given all the above, I’ve come up with my own (arguably crackpot) hypothesis: a primary thermoregulation issue, in which on the one hand, the body has either a lower-than-normal thermal setpoint, or a reduced ability to regulate its core temperature, resulting in low body temperature – and on the other hand, the perception that it must protect itself from freezing, resulting in a secondary rise in blood glucose level. Thereby positing a reason for persistent hyperglycemia pre-diagnosis, and explaining seasonal morning hyperglycemia in cold environments.

If this is the case, then I could conceivably have been running around with borderline secondary diabetes for close to thirty years before diagnosis. With an obvious marker sign.

It’s a bit off-the-wall, I know, but somebody has to ask the weird questions. And to remember to check my body temperature the next time I wake up in the middle of the night, shivering uncontrollably. And to see if anyone else is crazy enough to try doing the same thing alongside a 2AM blood glucose check.

BTW, I’m not excluding T1 from this hypothesis – though in T1, I would be more prone to see thermoregulatory stresses as triggers rather than as a primary cause. (Interestingly, this whole thought experiment brought to mind an incident from back in grade school that has a roundabout odd connection to Dr. Faustmann’s research. But I’ll put that in the next entry.)

Thanks for your story!

I agree with you there IS a link somewhere there. I have always been, er, ‘tubby’ and never felt cold. But a year after starting insulin, I started having ‘weird’ temperature experiences - all in what could be considered close to normal (as in ‘not’ freezing cold) environments Correlating with you story, the common ground is ‘sleep’, preceeding the incident. Like you, I wake with violent shaking/shivering, bp through the roof, sometimes my heart is pounding so hard, I can hear it externally (that is very scary). But the blood glucose reads 11 or 12 when I would expect a 2 or 3.

The first time this happened to me, I ended up in hospital where they looked for a heart problem. But now, after a lot more ‘low’ experiences, I feel quite certain that the incidents are ‘lows’ that the body has corrected and that reveals another strange phenomena. If I go into ‘low’ territory while I am awake, after recovery action, I usually feel awful - sort of like a massive sinus hangover that may take a full day or more to get over. However, after a thermal incident, after ‘warming-up’, I feel reasonably normal. Quite clearly, the body repairs itself better than we do.

But I think you are right on target - only we the ‘diabetics’ can describe our sypmtoms. Perhaps some researcher could set up a database where experiences and observations like our may some day provide keys to defeating this curse.

Next time that happens, try taking your temperature and see how it compares to your normal temperature range…

Hi,
Very late here but lm going through something similar - uncontrollable shaking, BP through roof and sugars high when l thought would be low. What l believe it is - our cell sugar is so low that the liver releases sugar (hence the high blood sugar). This also has something to do with body temperature being too low - mine was 36.1 when at the worst of these problems at the beginning of the year - l have been getting severe eczema this year too. There is a theory that people with low body temps over an extended period causes diabetes. I suffered from severe eczema and consistently going to the loo from the age of 6 months - at the age of 12 we emigrated to perth wa and it cleared up (l wonder if this has something to do with increased temperature etc), come back to England with the weather and a bunch of emotional issues l was diagnosed type 1 5 yrs ago and after even more emotional stuff have got these further problems now. Im seeing a nutritionist who is working to raise my temperature etc through eating and increased mineral absorbtion (Epsom baths and egg shell water)- if your interested look up Matt Stone! :)