It does

On 6/5/2013 at around 7:00am in the morning I was diagnosed with Diabetes. Since that day I have experiened every emotion a person can; fear, sadness, loneliness, and anger. However, I have also experienced enlightenment, perspective, and understanding. I went about 2 weeks without knowing what my life would be like from now on, without knowing if I could move on and live a “normal” fullfilling life again. ???
Truth is, nothing has changed except my body’s ability to handle sugar, nothing has changed but my ability to eat junk I probably shouldn’t eat anyways. Depression is not an option, while the connection between mental health and physical health is vague, I am positive that my outlook, my moods, my take on life has a direct impact on how well my body will tackle this thing. So when I asked all the members if it actually gets better and they unanomously answered YES it does I didn’t really believe them, but after only 3 weeks I can tell anyone who ask the same question that it does, it gets better everyday, it becomes less important each day, it is slowly but surely becoming part of what makes me ME, it is a cross I must carry, but I have to always be aware that SO many others have it much much much much worse than i do…
I will never, no matter what I do find out WHY this has happened to me, I have accepted that the world is “a mean and nasty place, and it will beat you down to your knees and keep you there is you let it”, I have chosen not to let it. My nurse told me I am a type 1 Diabetic, producing antibodies, and I can honestly say that was the day I began to think that this is something I can handle, in thr words of Rocky Balboa, “it aint about how hard you can hit, it’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, it’s about how much you can take and keep moving forward”… Thank you to every member that helped me reach this understanding.

you are welcome, just keep smiling :))

I have also only started this road. Everyone speak a language I have yet to learn. Have skills I have yet to learn. Sometimes feel as though I am between a group of doctors talking about thinks I know nothing off. Over the last 2 months things have got better. SO hang in there it is not so bad at all.

Chuck as I told you before I am 86 and was crushed when I was told I was diabetic. I ignored it got myself in a bind moved to Florida was put on insulin and vowed I was going to fight it. I have had and still have a wonderful life. They call me the ENERGIZER BUNNY. You have a great attitude. You will be a winner. Reed

Hi Chuck, welcome to the T1 club (not! but you know what I mean). It has been tough to grapple with this life-changing disease but life wills on, that much I have discovered. The docs can't help with the emotions but sites like this one have been invaluable to me.