It will be worth the wait!

There were so many replies to the pregnancy and diabetes post. Thanks for all the info and for just being there. Come on and post your thoughts, feelings, frustrations. I feel a little more normal now having this support group and seeing how we are all in the same boat. Nothing frustrates me more then when people say “And when are you having a baby?” & “You’re almost 31, what are you waiting for?”
"My A1c to go down you ass_ole!"is what I am dying to say. But just like everyone else w/out Diabetes, they don’t know the whole story.
WE DO! Thanks for letting me vent, I promise I am the happy go lucky girl…just not tonight.

Jessica -

I totally hear you. Ever since I was diagnosed (19 years!) it was grilled into my head that I would never have kids because of my diabetes (I’m calling it Steel Magnolias Syndrome because I’ve heard other diabetic mommies say the same thing). So I just adopted the attitude that I would never have kids even though my husband cannot wait to have children. After 3 years of marriage and avoiding the subject with the hubby, I finally asked my endo what my real chances are at having a normal pregnancy. He is very optimistic that I can do it; he has told me he will give me his blessing when the a1c is 6.5. My last reading was 8.9 but I’m feeling extremely motivated that I will get it to where it needs to be. It’s the first time in my life someone has actually convinced me I really could be a mom and it’s giving me a lot of hope. I’m even starting to allow myself to have mommy-type thoughts. I know I will have to work very hard at this and it could be a year or longer before I can get pregnant, but I know I can do it.

And believe me, if I’m thinking I can do it, I know you can too.

I hear what you guys are saying. I generally find that either people know a little about diabetes and they think that I shouldn’t have children (ever). OR they know nothing about it and they are wondering why we didn’t start having children already! (There are plenty of reasons to wait to have children even without diabetes-- so I don’t get this attitude).

I had an interesting conversation with my mom last week. When I was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 21, the thing that stuck in my mom’s mind the most was that no matter what I would have a high risk pregnancy-- and that wasn’t good news. My mother went through a high-risk pregnancy with no complications (and giving me a little sister 20 years younger than me)-- and sat in the waiting room with mostly diabetic women. So she knew that it was possible!!

When we got married, my mom was putting NO pressure on having kids (which surprised me a bit). It turned our that she had decided that we shouldn’t have kids. She went in to talk to her high-risk OB/GYN and told her that her #1 fear was that we would decide to have our own children and that I would be pregnant! The OB/GYN laughed and told her how ridiculous that was and how many diabetic women she sees who have just as much chance for healthy pregnancy as anyone else!

The good news is that my mom’s fear is gone-- so when we decide to start trying (once my A1c is down), my mom will be okay with it. The bad news is now I have to deal with a mother who is anxious to be a grandmother :slight_smile:

I totally understand what you mean. Every time you go to a family function or see an old friend its " hi how are you? when are you going to have a baby?". Oh and I get alot of people telling me “your next!” at only like every baby shower I go to! I get so tired of hearing everybody’s tips that are sure to help me get pregnant. I just want to scream sometimes. I know everyone means well but come on, sometimes I just need a break. Now I just tell them that I found out about my diabetes and am working to control that before my husband and I start trying for a baby again. That is a short version of the story of course but I find it easier than trying to explain all the details. After 6 years of not knowing why I wasnt getting pregnant I was actually relieved to find out about my diabetes because that meant that there really was something wrong that it wasnt just in my head. I know now what I have to do to get my body back under control. But man it can be really hard when those cookies are calling my name! I have to say that I feel lucky that my mom didnt go into that stage where she is afraid of me trying to have a baby naturally. I think it has something to do with the fact that I am type 2 but honestly I dont think I could handle it if she were trying to talk me out of getting pregnant. Sometimes I think she wants a grandbaby more than I want to give her one and believe me that is really hard to think anyone could want me to have a baby more than me!
But hey with some hard work and discipline I know we can all acheive our goals! Good luck and baby dust to you all!

I just get annoyed that people find it their business to ask us about our sex life (which is basically what “when are you having a baby?” means)!!!

Karla,

I’ve posted on other forums about adoption. Is it something you have considered? If you want to know more, feel free to reply, and I’ll send you my e-mail.

:slight_smile: Rachel

Karla,

The state system is more complex than a domestic or international adoption. However, all forms of adoption require patience, determination, and, did I say patience? (Something I"m NOT good at—oops!)

I wish you the very best. I think each person w/diabetes has to make his/her own choice about how to build a family, and I don’t think one option is better than another.

:slight_smile: Rachel

Hi ladies,

I HAVE STEEL MAGNOLIAS SYNDROME. it feels good to finally give it a name. My mom told me not to watch it in 8th grade and I should have listened. It has had me screwed up for years. I was convinced that I could not handle the type of tight control and discipline I needed to have in orde to have a healthy pregnancy. With my dh’s support, I went on an insulin pump in July (for the 2nd time as I was on one in 2001-02 and hated it). This time it’s working great and my A1Cs have dropped from 7.8 to 6.1 (though some days I feel like a diabetes robot and want to scream). I also just went on a contnuous glucose monitor in hopes of even better control. All of this is so damn expensive and to top it off, out only option for getting pregnant is IVF. For a while i felt like god was trying to tell us something and my sister in law offered to carry a child for us. In the end, and after lots of counseling, I decided I couldn’t farm this out to another person or adopt at this point without giving it a real try. So I can relate to what you’re all going through.

hahahah I actually said that yesterday when someone said to me…“soooo your sister in law got married after you right? WOW she is preg. that must suck for you eh? Is everything okay with you, your clock is ticking you know” Sometimes you just gotta let ppl know it’s funny because everyone around me is just telling me not to worry about my A1c and just get preg. Little do they KNOW! You know for the past week I have been tracking my Blood sugar on sugarstats.com and I have been motivated to keep my numbers in good standing. It motivates me to keep my average at 6. Oh and now I am going crazy like literally buck wild checking my blood sugar all the time…of course I am going to be super broke by the end of this month but I think it’s worth it. WHY NOT I SAY, besides i found out that I can get testing strips from E-BAY for $16.99 for a box of 100!! ( Although, i don’t know how safe it would be) . Since I am determined to having a baby within the next few months I have also started a support/bookclub in my area with family and friends ( ONLY those who are positive) and we are all going to start reading The Secret…(THe book was actually presented on OPRAHand it just talks about being positive etc. :slight_smile:

Honestly, I cannot even begin to explain how blessed I feel to be apart of this community online. I always feel like I can vent and share my story with feeling content and knowing that I am not alone. THANKS!!!

Wow… I am new to this site & I just can’t believe how many people are feeling the same as I do… I just got married last July & barely after saying “I Do”, my mother-in-law was already asking for grandkids! I laughed out loud & said I don’t think so… It’s still something we are thinking about, but we also have a lot to do before we even consider kids - like all the traveling I (we) want to do.
I am so glad I stumbled across this, hopefully I’ll be able learn new things & overcome my Steel Magnolia syndrome also…
Jen

I got pregnant this past year September 2007 and it was a big suprise. I was shocked to find out. My hba1c was 9.2% I was not taking very good of myself. But since I found out my hab1c have been steady at 6.2%. Nothing is wrong with the baby and I am almost ready to deliver maybe in 11 more weeks. Ladies you too can do it successfully. There is no reason why women with diabetes can’t have a normal pregnany. So far my baby’s weight is in the 50% which is perfect. Not too big.
Stay motivated and on track. I wouldn’t just go and get pregnant like I did, but you can change your hba1c is a matter of months!! I am living proof.

Jessica
Good luck and you will do wonderfully! I have been diabetic for 7 years and August of 2007 I had my first child. When I found out I was pregnant it was a surprise but I was a little nervous because I knew my A1c was in the 7’s. But they went down fast, especially since in the beginning of my pregnancy my sugars were low a lot, but my endo said that was completely normal. You start out with lower blood sugars in the beginning but then your body requires sometimes triple the insulin you were using pre-pregnancy. Anyways, my A1c’s went down and stayed around 5.7-5.9 during my whole pregnancy. My pregnancy was almost complication free…the only thing was I had low amniotic fluid in the end so I delivered 3 weeks early, but I have a normal, healthy, beautiful baby girl. :slight_smile: She was 6 1/2 lbs. when she was born and now 7 months later she is 17 1/2lbs and 27in. long! She is wonderful. And I can’t wait to have more. You will be so happy. It is a great experience. So good luck and I hope your experience is as good as mine was.
Heather

Rizwana
I just had my first baby in August. Everything went great and she is beautiful and healthy. She wasn’t too big or too small, and no other complications with her. You will do just fine. And good luck in getting pregnant.

So i went my family doctor yesterday and she said that I can get pregnant…I was taken aback because my HA1c is around 9.8 IS SHE NUTS? She said that she received a letter from my endo stating that “I don’t see any problems or complications in her getting preg.” So she said I can try…but that doesn’t make any sense to me. I thought it had to be in the range of 6-7. I swear my jaw dropped when she said I can get preg. NOW…I actually cried! and then I went home and thought about it and wanted to go back and punch her. HOW can doctors give conclusive statements like “You can start trying”?

RW take the advice from me. Don’t get pregnant until you have had a good hba1c for over 4 months. Also at this time you should be taking 10000mg of folic acid a day. Ask a genetist they will ttell you the same thing. I am currently 6 months 1 week pregnant, my baby is fine, but once I found out I was pregnant in a matter of weeks I went from a hba1c of 9.3% o 6.2% and have held steady. It has not been easy. Its really hard to control you diabetes while pregnant especially if you couldn’t when you weren’t.
I am having complications now because of my diabetes on me that could also be affecting the baby. My eyes have had several anurisms, and I developed retinopathy. It sucks I have seen the eye doctor 5 times since I have been pregnant and I have to go back again in 4 weeks for possible laser surgery. Getting pregnant is easy, mainting diabetes is really hard and takes a lot of dedication and planning. I am really happy how everything is going, but I am lucky my child doesn’t have something wrong like cleft lip, spina bifida, heart problems all which can occur if your diabetes is not under control for months leading to conception.

Hey everyone,

just wanted to invite you all to a Diabetes and pregnancy chat I am having on May 27th in the Diabetes talkfest chat room on May 27th You can respond HERE

The guest speaker is a leader in the filed of diabetes and pregnancy.