Wanting to get preggers!

I want to get pregnant and soon! I know, I’m young, but my clock started ticking and I cannot help it. I’ve been (what seems) doing everything by the book- but it seems impossible. My doctors make me feel like its just a dream, and I’m starting to have doubts in mind of whether or not i will EVER be able to have a baby. I am the only one in my family who has Diabetes (type 1) and I’m just looking for some advise or someone to talk to (who’s been through this or similar). Any advise out there?

LOL…I am 26 and I think my clock started ticking a long time ago…I have been married for almost three years now, and everyone and anyone around me is Pregnant. I am the only one my family that has diabetes as well and trust me it is sooo hard. I look at my sister in law (who is five months preg. and got married last year) and at times i become so bitter…how easy is it for some to get preg. MY A1c Average is about the same as yours and just like you I want to get pregnant right now. Don’t listen to these dumb doctors, you can try your best. My doctors never told me it’s a dream they said with strict control I should be able to have a baby like a normal person. Do you exercise? I used to live in the bay area, but now I moved to Toronto, Canada where it snows 9 months out of the year!! ( okay exaggerated a bit) but it’s just impossible to exercise in the snow here. I have been doing everything to try to control my blood sugar but amazingly nothing is working…my husband suggested that I get the pump but here in Ontario, Canada if you don’t have private insurance it costs around $7,000 dollars to get one out of pocket. My doctor said that I can bring my A1c down to 6 in two months if I really try hard but let’s see…right now all i am getting are lows at night and Hi’s in the morning.

OMG- I knew i wasn’t the only one out there. Thanks for responding to my comment! I totally get how you feel-EVERYONE around me is pregnant or has children. My younger sister is becoming a mom for the 2nd time at the end of this month - and yes i have at times become very bitter. I’m newly engaged, but i dont want to wait long after were married to be preggers! These docs make it seem impossible sometimes. But i hope that it will happen soon. I do exercise (sometimes) - but like you my sugars are up and down alot of the time! Are you over compensating for your lows at night? I know having a bad low can sometimes make you over eat- just to make the feeling go away. And that might be bring your BS high in the morning. Well KIT- i think we have alot in common and can maybe learn plenty from each other.

I swear since I joined this group I feel like I have heard my story over and over again, well okay maybe with a few minor differences. I know exactly what you both are going through. The first time my sis n’ law got pregnant I started bawling. I was totally surprised by my reaction. They had only been married 7 months and she was 3 months pregnant when she told us. At that time we had been married almost 4 years and had been trying to get pregnant the entire time. Now her daughter is 1 1/2yrs old and she is pregnant with number 2 due in May! I am so in love with my niece and cant wait to meet my nephew! I guess you can say I am over the jealousy(mostly).
I used to joke with my friends that all they had to do was make sure I went to their wedding if they wanted to make sure they got pregnant right away. I kid you not every female friend or relative of mine that got marriend after my husband and I got pregnant almost right away. I guess I am just a lucky charm for others! LOL! The only exception to this was two freinds of mine whom were the only freinds to get married the same year I did. One of them was very careful not to get pregnant and the other cant have children because she was born without a uterus. But I will focus on the fact that someday it will be my turn! I will just have to work harder at it than others do! At least I can be happy in the knowledge that some of that work will be enjoyable! :wink: Good Luck to you ladies as well!
Congrats on your engagement Francesca! When is the wedding?

I think about babies sometimes. Right now I am not in a rush but my doctor has told me that my A1C is okay if I wanted to start thinking about it. From what I have read getting your A1C around 6 is a lot better for you and the baby. I think with being diabetic we have to prepare our bodies more than most people before having babies but it certainly can be done. Just talk to your doctor or find one that will talk to you about having babies. I hope you have a great wedding and start your family soon.

Hi! I"m 26, diagnosed w/ type I when I was 24. I’ve been married for 4.5 years.

First, I’m very thankful I didn’t get preg right away after marriage. I went undiagnosed for 1.5 years, and I cannot imagine how harmful my uncontrolled sugars would have been for a baby.

Second, my husband and I made the choice to adopt instead of having biological kids. My first two A1Cs after diagnosis were great: 6.0 and 6.9. My endo said, “Have a baby!” And, “Do it now while you’re under 30.”

I’m so happy I didn’t follow his advice. My honeymoon ended, and my last few A1Cs have been: 9.0, 7.3, and 7.2. I’m now on Symlin in addition to my pump, and my sugars are getting better; however, I am determined to do what is best for my body.

For me, having a baby biologically seems dangerous—not just for me, but for my baby as well. So my husband and I made the decision to pursue adoption. I’m happy with our choice, though people don’t always get why we don’t want to have “our own.” SIGH! What they don’t understand is that an adopted child would be ours.

I would say this----do your research. Know what a pregnancy entails for you. Will you be high risk? Do you have the medical coverage to have a baby? Are you willing to do whatever it takes to be healthy for you and your baby? How is your body w/change now? How might that differ from pregnancy?

I think each woman with diabetes has to make her own choice as far as pregnancy. I don’t think adoption is the better choice for all women w/D; however, it’s the best choice for me.

If you want to know more about adoption, let me know. I wish you the best in making your decision. :slight_smile:

Yeah i know, this story seems to be very similar to alot of other girls’… I just hope it doesn’t take me long to get preggers. Everyone around me seems to be having babies - but i want that same feeling as well…
As for my wedding - maybe spring 2009, Thanks!

Thanks for your response. I totally agree - its alot more work for us, diabetics. Hopefully not too much work though :slight_smile:

Thanks for your advise, I have thought about adoption. And i think that i would leave that option as a last resource. But i will definitely consider it if i know i cannot have a baby of my own. Thank you for your response :slight_smile: