Its the 100th anniversary

Its the 100th anniversary of the invention of insulin.
Should we all meet up at Banting House?
How long do you think it takes to get a passport for Canada?
Maybe something later in the summer or early fall?

Maybe one of the admin could take a poll to see if anyone is interested.

• I want to go to Banting House this fall…
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

6 Likes

Thanks to them ALL …

Summary

A team of people discovered insulin.

Frederick G. Banting came up with a way to extract pancreatic extract in 1921; John MacLeod, the head of physiology at The University of Toronto, oversaw this process; Charles Best, Banting’s assistant, helped refine the process, and a biochemist named James Collip helped to purify insulin even further to make it clinically useful.

3 Likes

They aren’t yet open, but I bet by fall they are…Canada Coronavirus Map and Case Count - The New York Times

Banting is a hero of mine (of course), One reason is that he split his half of the Nobel prize with Best. He felt Best has been snubbed and that McLoed was unfairly awarded half of the prize. Regardless we have a great debt (at least those of us with T1) to Banting, Best and especially Marjorie, an incredible debt of gratitude.

3 Likes

It was Banting who is chiefly credited. He had the ideas on how to conduct the research, which he had to do on a shoestring budget.

I know this story so very well having read and read about the discovery and all the people involved: Banting and Best (of course), Macleod and Collip; but, never, not even once, have I ever heard anyone refer to Marjorie before, perhaps the dearest canine to my heart. So when I saw her name mentioned in your post, I broke down crying knowing that someone besides me remembers that it wasn’t just humans involved in the discovery, it was also any number of dogs and particularly that sweet girl Marjorie. Thank you.

5 Likes

At this point Canada is not letting any tourists in. US visitors (tourists) generally just need a passport, not a visa. BUT covid restrictions are impossibly strict and they have not yet backed off. That said, the Canadians did make a really pretty $2 coin (Toonie) to celebrate:

6 Likes

More info on the $2 Canadian coin referred to as a “toonie.” One version colors the insulin monomer blue as a nod to the international recognition of diabetes awareness. An insulin monomer is a building block of the insulin molecule.

https://worldnewsera.com/news/canada/new-toonie-celebrates-100th-anniversary-of-insulin-discovery/

I’m not much of a coin collector but would love to get one of these coins.

1 Like

Know anyone in Canada ?

1 Like

I want one! I’m so far from a border now, though. I wonder if the local bank could get them for exchange currency.

1 Like

I wondered if anyone would notice. Yes the story of Banting finding Best holding her body sitting on the floor in tears broke me up as well. We have to recall that the animals gave so much for us.

While I honor Marjorie I also recall she was dog number 412. It is doubtful they used 411 dogs to get to the discovery, I do not know the number system. But Marjorie was not the first or last that gave their lives for insulin.

rick

1 Like

But just think of all the pigs and cows we can thank in the old days.

1 Like

The Mint is adding to this commemoration with a collector keepsake set featuring both versions of the commemorative circulation coin, packaged with uncirculated versions of our classic 2021 circulation coins (5-cent to $2). It retails for $24.95 and its mintage is set at 100,000. There are also 10,000 limited-edition special wrap rolls of coloured and uncoloured coins containing 25 uncirculated coins each, available for $79.95. Finally, an exclusive $200 pure gold coin featuring a large-scale version of circulation coin’s reverse design is available for $3,999.95 and limited to 450 coins worldwide.

These collectibles may be ordered as of today by contacting the Mint at 1-800-267-1871 in Canada, 1-800-268-6468 in the US, or online at http:///www.mint.ca/insulin. They are also available at the Royal Canadian Mint’s Winnipeg boutique, as well as through the Mint’s global network of dealers and distributors, including participating Canada Post outlets.

2 Likes

The Canadian discovery of insulin has now added 37 years (and counting!) to my life. I shouldn’t be surprised when I found this video brought tears to my eyes.

4 Likes

I just went ahead a bought a roll. I don’t know how many are in there, but it was $80. Site is here for royal Canadian mint: https://www.mint.ca/store/microsite/?site=insulin&lang=en_CA&rcmeid=van_insullin

2 Likes

They are lifting the restrictions for travel to canada

1 Like

I wish they would have included that piece in the movie of the two doctors.