I've raised $4265 this year for Type 1 Research :)

Actually, my fiance and I have together. He is doing the JDRF Ride to Cure Diabetes next month in my honor and we’ve been working together since July on fund raising. Last year, I did the JDRF Walk and raised $1000 and I’m just stunned at how much we’ve been able to raise this year. All we have really done is to email friends, family, and co-workers. I’m so happy that he is doing this for me and pleasantly surprised by how much money we’ve been able to raise.

As a side note, I really like JDRF as a charity, since their focus is completely on Type 1 and 85% of all money raised goes directly to research for Type 1 (cure + advances in care like artificial pancreas project).

Thanks for listening. I’m just really excited about this and wanted to share with others who might think it’s cool too. :slight_smile:

His ride web page is http://ride.jdrf.org/rider.cfm?id=10320 if you want to check out our story.

nice work!

JDRF is definitely a well-oiled machine when it comes to both fund-raising and funding. They are extremely active in moving research from bench to bedside.

That is amazing!!! Thanks so much. JDRF is my favorite.
:slight_smile:

Carolyn, I am a member of the board of directors for the Western Connecticut Chapter. It is people like you that has advanced technology to the point it is today. I was dx’d July 6, 1958 at the age of 3. Not much going on back then. My daughter was dx’d May 4.2006 at the age of 23. With your contribution and everyone else we WILL FIND A CURE!!! Keep up the great work and thank you.
Ray

Very cool. Great work! That’s a lot of money.

I just did the math on my calculator. If half of the Tudiabetes members raised $4265 it would total $36,252,500 Is my calculator broken? WOW! 36million !!!

Good for you but personally I’d send that money to Dr Faustman or Cerco Medical (Islet sheet). IMO the AP pancreas is not even close to a cure even if it works. Besides that if you think diabetes is expensive now I’d bet the upkeep on something like that will be ridiculous. As I’ve stated many times that whole concept seems to be in the best interest of the manufacturer rather then the patient. I don’t know about you but in no way could I see myself walking around with multiple components sticking out of my body. The best investment JDRF has money in is Smart Insulin. A far more appealing and feasible solution if it works as speculated. Why they have the AP a priority over Smart Insulin leeds me to believe they have more alligence to the pump manufacturers then a product that would be far more appealing to the patient.

Gary- instead of telling her how to donate her money why don’t you start raising money for that diabetes cause yourself. It’s kind of insulting to tell someone that just raised $4g that you think they are wasting money.

Agreed that Dr. Faustman’s research is exciting and wonderful. I also disagree with many of the priorities that JDRF imposes on the way they spend their funding. I’ve raised money for JDRF for the past 2 years, because it’s easy and straightforward to do and I think that, for the most part, it’s well-spent. Maybe we’ll look into doing something for Dr. Faustman’s lab next year.

I never stated sending the money to JDRF was a waste of money however I think the AP will never work and is a waste of money. I don’t like that the JDRF has that as their # 1 priority. I also believe they have small amounts of money in too many areas of research where as If they just focused on one or two prospects maybe just maybe we’d be closer to something real already. FWIW I have donated to them but I always make a note that I’d like the money to go towards Smart Insulin. Whether it does is anyones guess. Not sure how long youv’e had diabetes but I’m going on 36 years and have had a freakin nuff of it!

Yeah that makes sense. I would take AP or smart insulin. It’s about time for diabetes to get to the next level of management. All the shots and blood testing is annoying on most days.

Good for you guys!!! We Type 1’s do grow up. I took Type 1 at 10 and am now 47. I really hope there’s a cure out there for the children that take Type 1

Without a better treatment we will continue to live a cruel exsistence. So far today I’ve already taken 6 injections and still feel like crap. Suffering is an understatement. I don’t think I have to explain how destructive it is to ones well being.

Gary, Chill out. I’ve been doing this since 1958. I think that if polio can be eradicated “D” will be to.

58 huh… your my hero. To be honest I don’t think I am over reacting one bit. Did you see the posting here about the young girl 13 years old who lost her life from this crap. It seems like billions of dollars have gone in research over the last few decades and nada. A lot of possible solutions in the works but even that being said I don’t see anything that looks probable any time soon. For now I have no choice but to keep gritting my teeth and bare it.

Awesome! My family has raised $2655 so far. Our Walk for the Cure is on Halloween.

Congratulations and great work!! That makes me really happy.