Jumping into G6

Libre 2 is too slow. So now that Medicaid is paying for Dex, I’m placing my order. Do you all have favorite places for tips etc or just right here? :slight_smile:

1 Like
  • When you talk to tech support, you always place the sensor on your abdomen (no matter where you actually place it).

• Call their nurse line and ask them to explain the 20/20 rule. That will help.

• Call Tech support immediately and ask for the free Overpatches. Lots of failed sensors due to adhesive that is less effective than it used to be. Overpatches will help.

• Always call for replacements right away when you have a failed sensor because shipping might take a while and you dont want to run out. They will replace up to 3 sensors per phone call.

• Some of us see variable sensor performance between different shipments. My 1st shipment was bad. My 2nd shipment was good. Monitor accuracy upfront.

• Bleeding and some IV prep pads may affect sensor performance. You can take Tylenol - as long as you don’t take a ton of it. (I think its ok to take less than 2,000 mg).

• G6 has a automatic calibration and a ‘no calibration’ mode, depending on if you enter the code or not.

• Calibrating a sensor may not impact performance. Exercise caution when calibrating. Don’t calibrate more than once per day. Make that a good one.

6 Likes

wait at least 15 minutes between Stop Sensor and Start Sensor, when changing sensors.

1 Like

I have no idea what all this means but thank you for such great info!

Thank you also. Is it worth it? Libre is so easy and comfortable and no multiple pieces to use…Just that they do not have FDA approval completed yet for Libre 2.

1 Like

I’ve never used, nor wanted to use, a Libre. I’m not clear exactly what you meant by “is it worth it?”

There are a lot of G6 threads here, so here are some terms you can use in site-search here for finding the most frequented topics:

• “G6 restart”. This is an ever-popular topic: how to do a restart so you can extend a sensor session beyond the statutory 10 days. There are a couple of motivations for doing this: People who have to pay large deductibles or out-of-pocket want to get as much time out of a sensor as possible; it allows you to build up a reserve of a sensor or two so you have a backup in a pinch (this is my main reason for doing it); a fresh sensor can be flaky at the start of a session and keeping a stabilized one going staves off the aggravation; sometimes sensor expiration just comes at an inconvenient time.
  • “Taping” “sensor adhesive” and other techniques for keeping your sensor stuck on, especially if you extend a session.
  • “Pre-soaking” Technique for minimizing the aforementioned first-day flakiness

I might add that, as with virtually any product, comments tend to skew toward problems and gripes because if you’re happy there’s less urgency to pop up and say so. So I wouldn’t necessarily expect problems on that basis. In my case the G6 has been great, and though I’ve had the odd problem Dexcom is always good about replacements. Just call 'em. I was initially reluctant to make the upgrade from the G5, but there are so many things I like better about the G6—ease of insertion in difficult locations, not having to calibrate after a restart (this turns out to be a way bigger deal than I thought), and above all the improved accuracy (I never felt comfortable bolusing from G5, but I hardly fingerstick at all anymore with the G6)—that I would never go back. Just my experience of course; YDMV as always.

1 Like

Lol…I’m looking at all the G6 info and thinking, golly the Libre is so much less complicated. Pieces etc. But excited to try!

The Tylenol thing is good. I do not have a decent smart phone so I will be using the receiver. I have an iPhone that is older than dirt. One day, I will have a newer phone. for now, it isnt going to work.

You will mostly see the complaints from people who have issues, like @DrBB says.
I have had mostly great luck with it, with a few minor issues. It is a new product, so I usually expect some teething issues.
Most of the issues you could have, have been covered here.

Thing is, most of them, a simple call to Dexcom will solve it.
Tips, most have already been covered. So, my suggestion is to search on here for the tips that have been given (presoak, skintac, location of insertion, restarting, etc.) and you will find a wealth of information and reading.
Doing this will make you very well prepared for most of the possible issues that might come up so that you are not caught off guard IF they do come up.
This takes a lot of the stress out of something new.

And enjoy the great results that most of us are seeing with the Dexcom G6. This is hoping that it all goes great for you!

2 Likes

I have only been on the G6 for a week. My transmitter is a 8J. I have read the articles on restarting the G6 and the more I read the more I am getting confused. I would like to do the restart to build a small back up. I use both the receiver and my Iphone.
Would someone be able to give me a simple summary of the easiest way to do this?
Thanks for any help.

1 Like

The easiest way and it seems to be working for most of us. And on all sorts of coded transmitters

1. Let the sensor expire or stop sensor
  2. Take the transmitter out using contour test strips or something else thin
  3. Wait 30 minutes (longer is okay)
  4. Pop transmitter back in
  5. And start the “new” restart sensor with your sensor code.

If you are using a Dexcom reader with the phone, I’ve read where they have said restart it on the reader first. Once it’s restarted, my phone just picks up the information from the transmitter. I don’t know if you have to do this, I just always have so far.

Here is a video that shows removing transmitter

@Laura_S

I used the Libre before I went to the G6. And yes it’s worth it. When I first tried it I did a comparison thread and the Dexcom didn’t seem to outshine the Libre as much as I thought it would. But I did give the win to Dexcom because of it’s alerts, although at the time annoying and the fact you could calibrate it.

As I used the Dexcom longer I realized how valuable the alerts are and how a more accurate reading helps. My A1C went down a point. It really is nicer.

Btw a little thing, but it is easier to just hit a button and read your BG level than to have to wave it over your sensor. I use a LIbre on my diabetic dog now and wave it over her and sometimes don’t get a reading and have to rewave it, not a big thing but the Dexcom continuous reading is definitely easier.

And if needed, I do calibrate mine more than once a day. I just try, but not always, but try to wait a couple of hours between calibrations. I also try to wait at least a few hours before the first one, but I will do a calibration right away if it is way off. Also I have to use Skin Tac to keep my Dexcom sensor on.

But I love my Dexcom!

2 Likes

Thanks for the great info. Is an IV Prep going to work? They’re sticky/tacky when you use them. And I do hope for thin people like me, the bleeding problem isnt there. That is one thing I never wanted to have to deal with. My Libre sensor bleeds, but I dont see it…lol. True that my CDE said you have to scan Libre 2. You still have to scan. Button pushing sounds nicer.

1 Like

Just don’t press the Dexcom into your skin with the applicator, you just lay it gently on the site and then apply. One way bleeding can happen more is when you hit muscle and is caused by pressing it on your arm so it then goes deeper. I only had bleeding a few times with my Libre, although once it was a lot. I only very faintly had bleeding with my Dexcom once. I think because I used to press more with the Libre applicator because you have to to apply it, but you don’t have to with the Dexcom.

Also Dexcom can go many places, I wear mine on my arm because I was used to it there because of the Libre being there. Although that is not what you want to tell Dexcom whenever you talk to them. The only “approved” site is the abdomen.

I have no idea about IV prep, I use Skin Tac. Maybe someone here has more input about iv prep. I loved the idea of Grif Grips, but I was allergic to them. And the Dexcom overpatches didn’t work for me.

1 Like

In order of stickiness:

1. IV Prep (next to nothing)
  2. Skin Prep (much better than IV Prep). Both 1 & 2 are S&N products.
  3. Skin Tac. A whole 'nuther level of stickiness.

Choose Skin Tac when you REALLY, REALLY require the best adhesion via a wipe-on product.

2 Likes

Basically, the process is gonna go like this:

1.) Verify accuracy.
If there are problems with accuracy, then my comments become more relevant.
If accuracy is good, then move to step 2.

2.) Start building a stockpile for when accuracy isn’t so good (or, for saving $).
Do that using sensor ‘restarts’ and transmitter ‘resets,’ as mentioned by DrBB. Lots of resources for this, but you should post when the time is right for you and we will direct you towards resources.

We want to do things in that order because #1 is a safety issue. #2 has potential to affect sensor accuracy.

1 Like

I get a little creeped out because my Libre has been matching my meter so well that I rarely ever fingerstick anymore…
Oh boy…

“creeped out”? I’d be very happy with a CGM that is accurate.

1 Like

My Libre has been completely accurate.