Kaiser Insurance - Wait list for getting child on Pump?

Hi, my son was diagnosed Type 1 this last summer at 10 years old. Fast forward some months and we are thinking he should be on a pump. I mentioned this to our clinic that we work with and I am told there is a wait list of kids who are wanting to go on the pump.

I have no idea of this means. Anyone out there with Kaiser and a Type 1 child? We have an appt next week so I guess we will find out.

I've never heard of a waiting list per se, but HMO's can be creative so I wouldn't be surprised. Could they have meant a waiting period? It's not unusual for insurance companies to make the newly diagnosed wait a year or more to get a pump, due to the honeymoon period and wanting you to practice with shots first, since pumps are pretty demanding. He will need to test his BG at least 4x/day, ideally 6-8, since only fast-acting insulin is used.

Thanks, I actually found out that it's a combination of wanting us to be well versed ect.. and the fact that they only have 1 RN who does all the training and she can only do 1-2 kids a week because there is a lot of follow up. In general they have been really good.
We already check his BG at least 4-6 times a day so that is easy. I don't know how you couldn't. I guess everyone is different.

When my son was diagnosed (8 years ago), his clinic said insurance won't approve a pump before six months of experience with injections. The thought was 1) injections are cheap and if they work, you don't need a pump and 2) you NEED to know injections in the event of a pump failure so you need a period of experience. That is an old way of thinking and is, for the most part, no longer a factor - it wasn't even the case at that time, 8 years ago. We applied within a couple of months and were approved and Caleb was pumping about 3 months later.

Advocate for what you need/want. These provisions could be made for other people's convenience, not yours or your son's. Our training was done by the pump company, not the endo, so availability of the CDE is not necessarily a factor.

Kaiser Permanente is the WORST insurance EVER! Don't get me started...

In my (extensive - that is many many years with type 1) experience, MDI provides the basis of knowledge necessary to get the most out of your pup. Knowing about insulin sensitivity, carb to insulin ratios etc and showing that the habits of lots of fingersticks do assist in making the change to a pump. Showing that you have a good basis of knowledge about diabetes in general and are getting tuned into your own person diabetes will make success easier and make it so you avail yourself of all the great features a pump can offer. I've been pumping 10+ years now - which I had done it sooner - after 20+ years on MDI.

From what I understand, they also want to give you a couple of types of pump or infusions to experiment with to see what is best. Unfortunately, at this point they don't cover the Pod which looks good to me because of the no tube part. We will see how it goes this week.