Know Your Numbers, Outlive Your Diabetes

The most recent book on the topic I’ve had a chance to read oon the topic of diabetes has been Know Your Numbers, Outlive Your Diabetes by Richard Jackson, M.D. and Amy Tenderich, author of DiabetesMine.com.

The book, which takes a little under 300 pages, combines the medical knowledge of Dr. Jackson with the real life experience of Amy, who dedicated herself to writing about diabetes after being diagnosed with type I diabetes in May 2003, in her mid-thirties. The result is an amazing title aimed at focusing the diabetic patient on five fundamental factors to help him/her lead a long and healthy life. These factors are: your A1C, your blood pressure, your lipids, your microalbumin and your eye exam, to discard retinopathy.

After showing readers through the five main indicators, the authors present courses of action to track them and maintain them in control through exercise, food/diet, medications and monitoring. Towards the end of the book, there are chapters dedicated to the understanding of both type II and type I diabetes, as well as the so-called metabolic syndrome and the actual dangers faced by children of diabetics.

The last few chapters deal with travel, feet and mouth care, emotional care and alternative treatment options for diabetics.

Though the book has a slight emphasis on type II diabetes, honestly all diabetics can find useful information in it. Since the publishing of Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution, I haven’t encountered such a compelling and intuitive title for diabetics. I highly recommend it.