Latest A1c

Just back from the doctor’s and my A1c is down to 7.1%, which is an improvement over the previous test (7.5%–included a cortisone shot, kidney stone, and travel). If I’d done this round’s test before our vacation trip, I am pretty sure I would have been lower than 7%. The trip threw me off in a number of ways (unfamiliar foods made carb counting difficult, variable meal times and daily activity levels, and some not-so-good choices on my part). (I started doing better using a divided dose at dinnertime on the the trip.). But it took about a week to get back to more typical results…and yesterday I had a really good day with a range of 71 to 157!

I also talked with my doc about using a CGM and he was very supportive. I’m not having (right now) a problem with lows but I do see spikes in BG that I’d like to reduce/avoid. I also find I often drop fast when doing housework, yard work, or brisk walking. The fear of going low while riding my bike has kept me off it all summer. So being able to track my BG more easily (and test and snack as needed) is very appealing to me. And getting my A1c down to 6.5% would be awesome, too!!

So that’s my plan…and ai will be calling my CDE after lunch. :phone:

2 Likes

We can get thrown off our routine but getting right back into a good diabetes management regimen is a very good trait. Congrats on that 71-157 day! That’s excellent.

I love my CGM and highly recommend it to anyone willing to adopt it and learn from it. It’s a great teacher if you pay attention. Diabetes is a dynamic game. Watching and reacting in a timely fashion is the beauty of a CGM. Some people don’t like to be reminded of their diabetes from moment to moment but just because we don’t pay attention to it doesn’t mean that diabetes forgets about us.

Getting down to a 6.5% A1c is a very doable goal for you. Good luck!

Keeping control while traveling is a b*tch, for sure, and it sounds like you had a lot else to contend with as well. Kudos for getting back on track (and why is it that endo visits always seem to come on the heels of this kind of stuff?).

As an avid cyclist I can definitely recommend a CGM on that one. I have a Dexcom Share, and by putting my phone in a handy iPhone carrier between my handlebars I can keep an eye on my BG as I’m riding. Very useful and will be even better after I upgrade to the G5 this October. T’other thing: I’m not sure if you’re using a pump, but if you are, doing a temp bolus ahead of your ride can fend off the exercise-induced lows as well. I find I have to set mine to 10% for an hour about an hour before my afternoon/evening rides. For some reason my morning ones don’t have any effect–some combination of lingering dawn phenomenon and stressing about the upcoming work day I suspect.

If you don’t have a pump, it sounds like you’re a good candidate for one, particularly if you’re getting lows from less strenuous exercise (I have the same problem).

Thanks, @Terry4, I appreciate your support!

That’s a great tip, @DrBB. Another reason to love my iPhone!

I am still doing MDIs and with my A1c improving, I don’t think my insurance will cover a pump. I am hoping to make the case for the CGM, though.

Pumping is the thing that most keeps me safe when doing activities such as biking and hiking. If I were on MDI, I’d have a much worse problem keeping my bg’s level (I went off the pump for a year, about 3 years ago and had to resume pumping due to too many screwy bg numbers). I cut down the basal an hour or two prior to strenuous activities. That works wonders. Can’t do that when on MDI!

The Share just lets you echo your results to your phone–it’s just a passive set-up, but you’ll be getting a G5, which connects to your phone via Bluetooth and lets you use it as a full-fledged receiver (though you’ll still get one of those too). Yippee!

Of course different carriers do different things, but just fyi, my A1c’s were “fine” on MDI, too, but in my case that wasn’t the qualifying factor. Instead what they cared about was hypo “excursions.” My endo just had to certify that I’d had a certain number over a certain period–something like 3 or 4 in the last month, though I don’t remember exactly. It sounds like that might not be a hard qualification for you to meet if your carrier has the same rules. Might be worth investigating. Speaking as one who was a rather reluctant adapter and who wasn’t quite as over-the-moon enthused about it as a lot of folks, I can say I’m glad I got over my reluctance and stuck it out through a fairly rocky acclimation period. It gives you a lot more control over the things you’re concerned about.

When I read about all the problems people have with pumps (and cgms), I do indeed feel “reluctant”!! But I also realize that the forum is a good place to get help hence people write in and the problems take on more salience. Maybe we need more folks to write about how these devices enhance life (as you have done). :biking_man:

Both a pump and also a CGM tend to be very personal decisions. Others can share they own experiences & opinions, but ultimately the only way to know how you might feel is try it for yourself. So I would encourage you to not just ask your doctor about actually jumping all the way in and getting a CGM, but instead about the possibility of taking one for a test drive for at least a week and preferably a month.

My own feelings about CGM changed significantly after actually using one. Before I used CGM I tended to view it as a way to test my BG more frequently without actually having to do a finger stick. The only experience I had ever had was from using my meter so my experience with my BG meter is what I used to set my expectations for what value I might get from CGM.

For me, after I started using CGM my perspective changed. My plan initially was to use the CGM just for a bit to “tweak up” my pump settings. But once I was actually using one I found the information to be much more useful to me than that. At that point I decided I’d probably rather give up the pump than the CGM … and I don’t ever want to give up my pump. :wink:

Bottom line: unless you are dead set against it, try to explore the possibility of some sort of demo. It’s not the sort of thing that I believe you can decide on abstractly. You really need to experience it to find out how you might feel about it.

That’s my plan. I test a lot but even then I don’t have a good sense of whether I’m holding steady or dropping…until I’ve dropped. That’s why I am taking what feels like a HUGE step in considering one. I figure a demo will let me put it–and me–through some different situations and see how we do. :footprints:

I am an avid cyclist , dexcom user and omnipodder. But it has only been this way for a little more than 2 years before that my A1C’s averaged 7.5. I got the dexcom first in 2012 when the G4 was first introduced. I have worn a sensor every day since then and honestly can’t imagine being without it. It was Dex that pointed out how truly poorly I was managing my blood sugars especially during exercise. It was so frustrating to get on the bike, court, or in the pool only to watch the rapid descent despite planning well in advance and making sure I had eaten and started with blood sugars in good range. After 6 months with Dex and 38 years with D, I finally got my Omnipod. It was a rocky start and not “love at first use” but after dialing in basal rates and paying really close attention to Dex I have my settings so I can spend an entire day" between the lines " which for me are 75-150. I can now get on my bike, set a temporary basal rate and ride for 60 miles without going low. Both Dex and Pod have made life with D far less work. My A1C’s have gone from 7.5 to a low of 5.5 and generally stay below 6.5 without excessive lows. I am currently on a 10 day trip in Spain. I decided to take a pump vacation and go back to MDI for this trip. It’s a lot more work and the control is not nearly as precise but it’s easier for me to keep track of a few pens than the PDM. Personally if I was forced to give up one device I would give up my pods, dexcom has been a life changing choice for me. I am extremely fortunate my insurance covers both pod and dex 100% without any co-pay. I am allowed 1 sensor per week but as a general rule I wear each sensor for at least 2 but more often 3 -6 weeks without any loss of accuracy. Good luck with your A1C and I hope you can get back on your bike.

1 Like

Clare - I’ve often thought of taking a pump vacation with the express purpose of honing my MDI skills. I haven’t done it since, like you, I enjoy very good control on the pump. I keep thinking, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” It would be a good skill to develop so that it’s ready, especially in the case when conditions are sub-optimal.

Enjoy your travel! Any new favorite foods?

Hmmm. Have you tried the paella, Clare? I’m not much of a foodie, but when you mention Spain and food that’s the first thing which pops into my mind. :smiley:

I had a blast in Spain and especially enjoyed the jamon iberico. They’re all about ham there. We did a day trip from Madrid to Segovia with a Roman aqueduct in amazing shape for its’ age. We also enjoyed a bicycle tour around Madrid. From Barcelona we hiked in Montserrat to the top at Sant Geroni the scenery was breathtaking. The weather was fantastic the entire time we were away and yesterday I came home to gray and raining. As expected my control was not nearly as precise as when using a pod but I just changed my high alert from 150 to 180 and just skated. My dex average for the 10 days was 115 and I am pretty proud of that. I like knowing I can manage without pods. I’m going on a cruise in November and am keeping my options open whether to pen or pod. I’ll need to replace the levemir and novolog pens in my fridge which are my emergency supplies.

1 Like

I make a pretty good paella myself John, but did not have it in Spain because it is just too bland for my tastes. They’re not in to using much seasoning except for salt even though the climate is perfect for growing chilis and other good stuff. My son and I found some thyme and chives growing along the trail in Montserrat and made some delicious mountain herbed chicken when we got back to the apartment we were using.

CatLady06,

at endo this week. A1c was 6.4 very very proud of this accomplishment. as far as making good food for myself, my favorite 2 meals are these:

1. roasted herbes aux provance chicken thighs w/ garlic and olive oil sautéed spinach

2. wild salmon filet w/ garlic and olive oil (on top) medium rare, w/ a side of sautéed kale.

mmm. so good

unfortunately, my husband does not care for either of these creations, so i must use the top burner of the stove to cook him his breaded chicken cutlets well done. (he is also very fond of sautéed or baked filet of flounder w/ just cracked pepper on it) then i make for both of us either cold peas w/ lite mayo (Hellmans), or a baby arugula salad with crumbled blue cheese and walnuts. sometimes w/ a few slices of an apple.

hope this inspires you. I think it is fabulous and better than i can get from most restaurants.

2 Likes