Levemir

is anyone taking this? What dosage? Any side effects?

I’m a type-1 diabetic, but I’ve been on Levemir for almost 2yrs. I switched from NPH which I was on for over 15yrs. No problems and so far it’s been great.

I only take it at night before I go to sleep and take about 8-9units to cover me throughout the night.

I AM TYPE 2 AND SHE STARTED ME ON 10 UNITS FOR 1 WEEK. SHE CALLED TODAY AND SAID INCREASE TO 20 UNITS AT BEDTIME. THE REASON WAS, 10 UNITS AND MY READINGS WERE STILL 288

I started on 10 units, moved to 14 units and probably will be increased a little more with the next appt in a couple of weeks. No side effects or any issues with it. My morning numbers were in the 200’s and are now 130 on the average. It took a couple weeks for the Levemir to kick in, but the first increase only took 2 days to change my numbers.

Hope your numbers come down.

thanks for your response. Have you gained weight on this medication?

I just switched from Lantus to Levemir about 3 months ago. I take 20 units in the morning and 10 units before bed. I am type 1 for 17 years. Out of all the long-acting insulins I have been on, I prefer Levemir. No lows with just the Levemir, like I had with the others.

No weight gain with Levemir. Hope it works well for you.

I sure hope this works. The ppills are not an option any longer. I am on 29 units starting tonight with levemir.

If you have problems…you may need to split the dose. Good luck :slight_smile:

I haven’t gained any weight, but I also have not lost anymore either. I don’t know if this is just my plateu (sp?) or the Levemir.

thanks for the response. also, do you believe that diabetes shortens one life? I’ve heard pros and cons on this one. Is there any proof to back this theory one way or the other?

Yes, I’ve been on Levemir for 2+ years. It wasn’t till I changed Endocrinologist did my usage change and it seems for the better. I split my dosage - 78 units at night and 58 units in the morning. My morning fasting seem to always be higher but are still better than last year this time 230s to now 140s. It seems to work for me.

Just started Levimier a few weeks ago. Wk 1 I was on 10 units. Now I’m on 12 units. Only take it once a day at night. Numbers are starting to look really good compared to what I was. I even had an 84 BS once. :slight_smile: Seems like I’m still losing weight so it hasen’t affected that.

how are you losing weight? I’m up to 20units of levemir in am and 24 units at night. Also, take another shot called Symlin 160 mcg in am and 160 at night.