Lipohypertrophy - active treatment & speeding up recovery

Ive recently started dealing with some lipo on my stomach (horrible experience absolutely erratic absorption rates of insulin). I ve stopped injecting in that area entirely, but I would like it to recover 100%.
I’ve heard fisioteraphy (manual massage) and ultrasound therapy help in speeding up reduction of lipo and recovery of the lipo areas. Couldnt find any research on that topic.
Most articles just recommend to stop injecting there and hope it will go away.

Did any of you have any experience in active treatment of lipo areas?
What did you do? How did it go?

2 Likes

Welcome to TuD, @Matt. I took the liberty of changing the misspelling in your title to “lipohypertrophy” since lipohypotrophy is not a word. As much as some of us here have tendencies toward acting as “grammar police,” I only change titles when the misspelling would hide the post from any future searches on this topic.

If you want to search for previous posts on “lipohypertrophy,” click on the magnifying glass icon at the upper right side of your screen and insert that term into the search box. It’s a good topic and something we need to remind ourselves about.

I’ve had good luck rehabilitating my abdomen by giving it a good long rest and daily massaging it. Here’s a tool I now use for that purpose.

I don’t know of anyone who has actively tried anything. But, there are ideas out there and a little bit of research. 1st hand experience will be valuable if you do any experimenting, please report back. Some people have a lot of trouble.

1 Like

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/dia.2017.0165

Thank you for sharing this very insightful article. As many others it discusses lypo prevention and confirms that following the general guidelines for injection makes a lot of sense.
I am more interested in the very diagnosis of lipohyperthrophy and methods of healing that broken tissue. There is a general lack of knowledge about this among diabetes professionals.

Together with a physiotherapist we have been using manual massage (including massage knuckle duster & chinese bubbles), massage guns and ultrasound therapy. The results have been promising but I would like to find some scientific data on the assesment of lypo and its healing options & results. The final test in my case would probably be to check my own tissue and see how insulin absorption looks like following the therapy. i am still reluctant to go that way (had really terrible experiences including either super high glucose levels or unstoppable drops when injecting in that area).

Maybe scientifically Ive been looking in the wrong place. It seems more info can be found in Dermatology domain rather than diabetology.

https://books.google.pl/books?id=maRMDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA191&lpg=PA191&dq=dermatology+lipohypertrophy&source=bl&ots=ulQJ9NXu7D&sig=ACfU3U0R84Sq-rSrpd-tl_RQ5KEDrY88jA&hl=pl&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjQi9Pm5o_oAhVVUhUIHZmsAVwQ6AEwGnoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=dermatology%20lipohypertrophy&f=false

I will let you know if i find something better. Please keep me posted if you find anything.

1 Like

I think your right. I think there’s room for a lot of new work to be done. There just isn’t much out there. I’ll keep an eye out.

1 Like

This is such an important topic, thanks for raising it!