Log books and peoples misconception

This is kind of a two part:
It’s so simple, I know that if I keep logs of my sugars and food, it will not only help me be healthier but also help show patterns which would make control easier. But for some reason I just look at the log I have and feel no desire to fill it out. I haven’t gone over 180 in a week or under 60 which for me is really good. I guess I’m just wondering what others do to not get caught up with the annoyance of this job we have 24/7 with no real pay other than life. It’s like the paperwork office workers get paid for filling out…I just don’t have the patients?
Secondly People take a lot for granted and it’s really bugging me, its like that saying about how you only have one mind and one body so take care of them- and people aren’t and don’t care… Plus its annoying when I have to tell people no I cannot do that right this second because I have to test right this second, but once I’m done I’ll be happy to. People are just really annoying me, they look at type ones and think nothing’s wrong with you, you talk, you have your hair, you walk fine therefore you are fine… It’s like I want to scream, " well if you would like me to stay fine than I need to do this when I need to." I once called out of work with the flu, when really I had a rough night and then didn’t go to sleep because I was terrified I would have a problem in my sleep and not wake up. They’re more understanding of the flu.

I never logged anything. Pre-pump I used the meter data (which, of course, was devoid of food data...). I had to log for a month to get my pump. I briefly considered "faking it" but realized that it would be more work than actually logging so I just logged for a month. Then I used the pump and now the CGM.

On the first question: There are lots of easier ways to log then noting each and every reading, dose and nibble in a paper journal and then trying to figure it all out. You don't say what kind of treatment, equipment you use, but here is a basic thgought. When I really want to track blood glucose readings and carbohydraates (usually when I am in a very dark diabetes place,) I chart them on Excel. My meter keeps a log of my readings, and I can still remember what I ate for at least 24 hours. So, I usually pull out my laptop before bed and enter the information. If you are using MDI, though, keep track of doses injected and the times so they can also go on the chart. I do have a pump and a CGM and can download all the information from both online and it makes great little charts and graphs. Most meters also can be uploaded, but you have to record the carbs and doses.

That said, I rarely use the charting for decision making, unless I am in a very bad place. Charting is to show trends. But diabetes can change in an instant: weather changes, stress, etc. I never truly found it useful.

Second point: I am all about telling people I have Type 1. It is a safety issue in my book. Because of that I make every effort to get to work. I do not want them to get the idea that people with diabetes are not good workers, so I stretch myself to be there. If I need to leave a meeting or something, I just do. If I am going be in a class all day, I take my meter and my juice box with me. Everyone gets used to me and no longer pay any attention. I guess what I am saying is that if you don't make it a big deal, they won't either. And, if you decide to call in sick one day because of Type 1, don't say why. After managing people for years and years, the smartest of all those who call in sick just said: "I won't be in today as I am not feeling well." If asked what is wrong, stay on the same tact: "I just don't feel well."

To be perfectly honest, I was HORRIBLE with traditional logging methods (i.e., pen & paper book). It's just really impossible to write down all the stuff (BG, insulin, carbs, etc) when you have, you know, A LIFE! I told this to an endo once who chastised me for not keeping up with logging. I was so angry and I looked him dead in the eye and said, "So, have you ever attempted to log every BG reading, bite you eat, and insulin dose you give yourself?" When he didn't answer, I just replied, "Exactly."

Reality is that I have a life and a job and there's no possible way that I can meticulously write down everything I do. I did (before getting my pump) make a serious effort because I knew that information was needed to set up my pump.

BUT....the best part about having a pump is the fact that you don't have to log a thing! I upload all the data from my pump and meter. When I remember to, I tag my meter readings for things like exercise and other factors. The result (via Carelink) are BEAUTIFUL graphs and a million ways to splice and dice the data. My endo has my username and password and she can easily log in to my account, look at my data, and give me advice/feedback. But more importantly, I can look at my data whenever I want and make adjustments (which I frequently do). For me, this has been very motivating.

The healthy body has just a typical range from 80 to 120 and wider swings are exceptional. Even if you had 140 all the time you would end up with complications. A span from 60 to 180 is significant and no valid argument against logging. There is always room for improvements and control often deteriorates gradually. Thus it is good to identify these developments early.

But I can relate to your feeling that logging is an additional obstacle in the way. For me the solution was to create Glucosurfer.org to introduce many conveniences from the pump to my MDI life: bolus wizard, Insulin on Board, good analysis and so forth. We still have no iPhone App to offer but Windows Phone and Android - even WAP with ordinary phones - are covered.

I don't think it's guaranteed that > 140= complications but it increases the probability one will end up with complications? I certainly try to avoid > 140 (really 120...) whenever possible but I think there are enough long-timers who may not have really ever known what their BG was, who are still chugging along w/ 50 some-odd years of diabetes that I think that it's safe to only talk about probabilities increasing, rather than certainties?

The record keeping is one of my favourite facets of diabetes. I still have some old logbooks from years ago. Keeping a log helps me stay on track, and I see the connections between food, exercise, insulin and blood sugars. Even if an endo doesn't like my overall results or my A1C, at least he can see that I am trying by keeping such meticulous records of everything I do.

I even write down what I eat, and sometimes I see that I ate oatmeal 4 times for breakfast in one week. So I'll give up oatmeal for awhile and make a point of trying new foods.

I've never had a doctor or diabetes educator who had the slightest interest at looking at my logs. So I only log when there is something I want for my own use. I always record my insulin injections in my BG meter - and this is very useful to look at changes in TDD, basal/bolus ratios, etc. (For example I can immediately see that my TDD went down by 20% when I was on vacation trekking up volcanoes - and that two days after being back it has already returned to what it was before). I have found BG readings and insulin amounts to be very useful, and it is trivial to record this and adds about only about four seconds of time to each insulin injection.

Recording food is much harder and time-consuming, so I do that in a spreadsheet, but only when there is some question that I am trying hard to figure out. I did do a lot of detailed logging when I started to really be serious about improving my control a few years ago - and this meant adjusting my basal rates, computing my I/C ratios, testing the impact of different foods, figuring out the impact of exercise and trying to understand differences in insulin sensitivity I was observing from one day to the next. I kept that up for a few months, but was glad to stop doing it once things were in better balance and more predictable. But if things change (and they always do eventually) I'm prepared to do it again.

As to part two, I haven't really noticed that. I carry my meter/insulin/etc with me, and testing only takes five seconds, so I do that without really disrupting anything (but clearly it would be harder for some jobs than others).

I have kept meticulous logs of both my blood sugar and blood pressure for the 5 years since I've been diagnosed, probably just because I'm a geek. What annoys me is that doctors won't even bother to look at the information. My blood pressure is always high in the doctor's office and that triggers letters about coming in and having it "checked." This last time I said I wasn't coming in until someone looked at the most recent chart I'd kept. I had taken my blood pressure 5 times a day because it was so low in the mornings I needed to be sure it wasn't staying that way. I think this information is relevant...it shows chronically LOW blood pressure (which I believe is caused by autonomic neuropathy). The doctor, however, isn't interested in my information, only in the readings that are taken in her office. The message I get is: A. patients are stupid B. patients lie C. the assistant who takes blood pressure doesn't have enough to do. I'm really glad I've kept detailed records because it gives me the confidence to stick up for myself. I know, some of you don't need that.

None of my docs have ever been interested. Carelink has a physician sign on to access data from their patients. I ask and none of them knew that or had ever tried to sign in.

I am amazed at the reticience of physicians to use the available technology. Sometimes, I just think they are too arrogant. The software migt over ride their diagnosis....

I really hate that a lot. IT IS 2012!! Use the tech.

My endo has the password and downloads the data and has it on her laptop to discuss. It is much easier to do it that way.

I was forced by my insurance company to use the Freestyle Lite glucometers. I wanted to hate it because I don't want to do anything I am forced to do. But I have found their Co-Pilot Diabetes Management software is really good. I am a tech geek anyway, but with just a little bit of my input and a $40 computer cable I can keep track of literally everything. It has helped a lot with tweaking I:C ratios and amounts of lantus and my control has certainly benefitted.

Well, I would just ask, What's been your A1c's the past few Yrs and
How many Hypo's and Hypers have you been Averaging a Week?
-it's One thing to have nice < 6% A1c's
-But if the cost is because you have had alot ( more than 1 Hypo a day = +7 wk)? Not Good..
-And if you have had Alot ( more than 1x a day ) Above 150's? 2 hrs or more after Eating? Again, Not Good..
-Thus that Downlaing System for our Meters Can spot those times, etc.
And thats what your Dr. Should Be getting and looking at..

And if your doing OK? Keep doing what your doing..
If Not? Then Sorry, Guess you either have to Start Conforming More and being More Stricter on yourself and Aggressive ?

For the Savage Truth?
Or make sure your Make enough to Retire Early and have good Health Insurance as well
For you Won't be able to work as long as most Others and become Handicapped...

and don't care what they say- We need alot more Control enviorment Time for ourselves to control this Damn Disease..and if we don't and Follow that BS, that we can Do everything we want, etc.? You'll find out the hard way, you can't..

As for Helping keep the Job? Try working Extra - Come in Earlier, Stay Later , building up Credits for the times you WILL Need to use them , if you can..

Otherwise? Try to Change Jobs Now while you can ( younger) and get into a Gov't or Union type job..

And? Start Buying Lotto Tickets! I set aside $5 wk for mine..I need all the Chances I can get..! after 5 yrs, won $1,500 last Yr, so I'm pretty close to even now..

I think that is called "white coat hypertension" which I have suffered from for almost my entire life. My whole family is hypertensive. But on Monday I saw my doctor and was 124/68. First time ever I have been considered "normal" as far as my blood pressure is concerned. I still check it every morning, especially since I have no idea why it was normal. The Doc said it was because I had lost a bunch of weight, I'll go with that for a reason.

Hello Dragonflylife:

The short answer these goofy logs provide no serious value to our current daily living.

They can help uncover patterns because they will give you a level of detail you will never recall otherwise. You can look back for as many days, months, years you have of them. But in terms of figuring out what the pattern might/might not be over a month, there is absolutely no tangible value do that level of detail period beyond that particular month. Four months later (much less next month, its entirely worthless data)

As to your second part, if you are actually keeping yourself up because you are afraid of highs, lows whatever the case, if/when you are "ill"... respectfully you are doing a real number on yourself without any reason. People get sick all the time. The fact we also happen to be a diabetic as well as have some plague should not terrify anybody. That is not mentally healthy, or safe frankly... There is such a thing as worrying too much sometimes. There is a difference between watchful and unable to live, move.

Myself I would not explain diddley to anybody re: your diabetes. "I'll be right with you" is more than enough... there is no reason why you need to justify fifteen seconds. Nobody needs to explain. Shoot, test, eat for a few seconds and its green light, until you need to go red light, or yellow for whatever reason(s). IF we have a problem, the game changes. Until there is a problem... carry on

The fact we also happen to be a diabetic as well as have some plague should not terrify anybody. That is not mentally healthy, or safe frankly... There is such a thing as worrying too much sometimes. There is a difference between watchful and unable to live, move. wrote stuart.

I totally agree, Stu. I woke up with a 165 this morning because I did not properly bolus for a late night snack. Corrected/pre-bolussed, waited 45 minutes to eat my yogurt and chai tea breakfast instead of the usual 25, got down to 128 and ate breakfast.. and kept on going. Had I been on the way to work, which I would have been had I not retired; I would have tested before driving, made sure it was ok, then would test at the job and eat my yogurt that I brought with me. I do not explain anything and I do not manually log.( I did it when I was pre-pump, On and off for a couple of years, but i NEVER felt I HAD to Explain when or why I did it TO ANYONE, other than my endo or the CDE) Now, the Carelink software does it for me, and I review it about every 3-4 weeks or more often if I am readjusting my pump settings. Stopped using the MM CGMs. Too inaccurate for me and too expensive as a retiree. And I can get the data I want by the aforementioned other means.: test, test, re-test.
After 43 years, I truly try not to worry about the "D:. I take care of it and myself, but I do not "worry" about it. Too many other things to do. Off to water and weed my garden. Have a great day, all.

God bless,
Brunetta