Long way to diagnosis - pcos/diabetes

So I started to get really sick about two years ago. And then a bunch of major
stress stuff started to happen. Got laid off from two jobs two years in
a row - one company shut down and the second one hired me to help them
get through the process of their shut down. And so I have been
technically unemployed for a while. I get part time gigs now and then
but my husband and I struggle financially.

Through these trying times of looking for work and just trying to
survive, I was putting on a lot of weight. It sure wasn’t from
overeating or lack of exercise. We didn’t have that much money so we
were literally tightening our belts and I was running all over town
looking for work and when I was at home, I took my stress out on
completely redoing our apartment.
I have been told that I might have Lupus, fibromialga, a thyroid problem and just am mental in general. But I knew that none of those possibilities could have been it.

I am 30, 5’8" 180 pounds.

I was getting dizzy spells from going hypoglycemic, always had rough
periods, which my gyn put me on yasmin for. Severe anxiety, my hair was
falling out, I started to grow skin tags under my arms and around my
neck. And hot flashes, those were by far the worst. I thought all of
this was stress and endured it for a bit but started going to the
doctors and was put through a barrage of tests -spent a lot of time in
the lab, had an MRI and two sonograms. I have lean legs and arms, firm bum! But my stomach sticks out like I am 5 months pregnant. And it’s not flabby, it’s just this firm round mass.

Moral of the story, this past Monday I was given the firm PCOS
diagnosis. I have already been on Metformin for a month, my pcp thought
it would help with my metabolism. And my endo confirmed that i did
indeed have pcos and diabetes.

I will be starting Byetta in about a month or two after I get used to a gradual metformin dose to 2000 mg.
And the wierdest thing at all, I can’t cry. All this stuff would have anyone in tears and I can’t cry. It’s like I can’t let go of my emotions or something. I wonder if that is the excess androgens. Anyone else have this issue?

Yes… I was diagnosed with PCOS at 15 years of age (though I am well aware I have had it since I was 7 years old, when I started gaining the weight (despite having the same eating habits, and eating like a little bird), and because when I was 12, my period only came for 6 months, and then never again.) I was also diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, at that time. After years, and years, of unsuccessfully dealing with the weight (because nothing had worked long term), I was finally diagnosed with Diabetes about 5 months ago. At this point, the ONLY thing that has worked and is working for me is to follow a low carbohydrate diet. Women like us just cannot metabolize carbohydrates well, and we develop really terrible insulin resistance. Many small meals with only a small amount of carbs also works well. I am currently on Cyclessa, from Desogen, which is a type of birth control, as my only treatment, as it burns off all the follicles around the ovaries, and helps preserve them… and I am controlling the Diabetes and insulin resistance well with my low carb diet. My ovaries are about 3 times as big as a normal woman’s ovaries… I have Acanthosis Nigricans, hair loss, hirsutism, smallish skin tags every once in a while, extreme sensitivity to cold, migraines, mood swings, Clinical Depression, weight issues, and of course, absolutely no period on my own (without the birth control). I know it’s a tough ride… But it is a manageable illness, and many women get to have children. It’s a matter of the right treatment, and a good exercise, and eating plan. I strongly recommend a low carb diet for you, as well. If you have any questions, or just need to talk, feel free to contact me. I am here, any time.

Thanks for the advice. My diet has never really been an issue. I do primarily eat low carbs and only go off board on the holidays :slight_smile: But it’s something I will continue to work on.
Have you ever had experience with emotions? It’s really wierding me out that I haven’t cried in over a year. I talked to my therapist about it and he says that I am stressed but perhaps just not sad. Or that the androgens might be making me less prone to “female” emotions. Was wondering if that happened to anyone else.
Lucky for me my husband and I decided long ago not to have children, so I at least don’t have to worry about that stresser.

Yes, it really has… I used to never cry, at all… Ever, and I went from that, to crying at the drop of a dime. I think both extremes are related to it.

There are so many women in our community with PCOS, that I have gone ahead and created a group for us, just now… Called Women with PCOS and Diabetes. It is moderated so that we can discuss sensitive topics, as well. Feel free to join. :slight_smile:

Thank you! I will.