Diabetes type 1 and emotions

i have become an emotional wreck. cant even watch a commercial without crying. anyone else have this problem? dont know if its linked to the diabetes but i was never like this before…

i was diagnosed 3months ago
levels between 250-hi (having trouble controling it)
30 years old

You are not alone.I find when I am in one of those rollercoaster phases (yes I am in one now 40-300 where I was a level 120 before–andnothings changes) I ammuch more emotional and moody.

I am really sorry about your diagnosis and hope you are seeking the help for both diabetes therapy and for your head. Chronic illness can be devastating to your emotional wellbeing. Loss of good health needs to be grieved.

Shock and denial, anger, bargaining, depression and then acceptance is the road ahead, you have come to the right place - we welcome you! Many have walked that road too, so if you feel alone please come here and post! There’s no other group of almost 7000 people who already understand what you are going through.

I have had diabetes for 31 years now, it’s a part of my life but it does not define me. Anytime you need to talk please just say!

You just maybe going thru the natural process we all went (or are going) thru. D is a disease that will most likely affect us the rest of our lives and there nothing wrong with getting a little emotional as you are getting used to the idea. When my sugars get hi, I tend to get tired and cranky (well, crankier than normal). When you don’t feel good physically, it effects how you feel emotionally. And vice-versa.

You’ll learn how to get your sugars under control! It’s a learning process everyone goes thru and it does not come overnite. Unfortunately, control tends to be a balancing act that is seems, at times, more art than science.

Hang in there, feel free to gripe all you want. Lord knows I have. I found this site about the middle of last October and have met some really great people and learned on heck of a lot from them. I’ve been diabetic since 1970, never really had any type of contact with other diabetics (unless I passed one in the hall at the doctor’s office), so this has been a great place for me.

Scott

hi Carol, it saddens me to hear you believe that your life has been destroyed by diabetes. I’m not shocked, but I am saddened. I have felt and sometimes feel the way you do but the only treal tradegy would be for you to roll over and die. Don’t be mad at me for saying this: but it’s your fighting with diabetes that’s making it a monster and making control elusive. Lots and lots of us find ways to control our blood sugar, and have full and blessed lives, too. There is no way I would trade my life and my experiences to go back 31 years and die, just 'cause I got diabetes.

It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult undertaking which more than anything else, will determine its outcome. If there’s anything any of us can do to help you with your control then post it and we will be here to listen and offer any advice we can think of, even crappy advice! :wink:

HaliShawn, just know you are not alone when it comes to emotions/depression/anxiety. We all have had them at one time or another as a diabetic. However, keep in mind that is one reason we all gather here at TuDiabetes, to offer a “shoulder” to each other so we can cope. REMEMBER, you may have diabetes but it DOES NOT have you.

I was diagnosed in July 2008, so diabetes is new to me as well. Part of being diagnosed is the emotions involved. However, my goal is to try control my diabetes, not let diabetes control me. We are all going to live with this disease a long time, and I feel we need to learn how different things effect us. Blood sugars effect my emotions. For example, if my BS is around 200, I can be extremely irritable. Once me and my wife figured this out, we can find ways to deal with it.

Dear halishawn

Getting diabetes is like the death of a loved one. The most loved one, ourselves. Takes time to get over it. Dont worry you will feel better soon.

Halishawn:

Your emotions do get quite a shake-up when you’ve been diagnosed with a disease that it going to affect you the rest of your life. It is normal to expect some ups and down, but I would certainly consult your doctor if you’re having this much trouble. Constantly crying is not really a good thing and, if you need help accepting your Dx, then I would definitely consult at least a psychologist.

But, in addition to a professional consultation, you are more than welcome to talk to us here. We’ve all been through it so we understand. Please get help and let us know how you are doing.

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI

ALERT!

Halishawn be alert that there are a number of real nuts, cut-ups and cookoos roaming on this site. If you don’t watch Scott, he will have you rolling around on the floor, splitting your guts with laughter! Gales and gales of laughter! I’ve never met someone who could turn a situation into a laugh-a-rama!

Watch out or someone may just put a smile on your droopy face! :o)

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI

Carol:

I am so sorry you are having these issues. We are here for you.

As a depressed Type 1, I can say with some certainty that your D has a place in this issue, but , that said you likely also could use some therapy. Depression goes hand in hand with diabetics, and working on it is important. Please check out our little forum on here diab3etics and depression.

Rick Phillips

Lies and propaganda, Lois, lies and propaganda

Halishawn…of course you are an emotional wreck…it’s all so new and scary. I just checked out your page to make sure you are female…your hormones can effect your blood sugars. The week before, most of us notice an increase and if you’re prone, that’s when your PMS mood swings kick in, as well. Add to that the fact that high #'s can make you agitated! Triple whammy.
Know that we’ve all been through the emotions and are here for you. Good luck.

I still walk out on the ads or change the channel. I did before I was diagnosed, too. They are inane and often would lead to inappropriate choices. If I ate an apple, I’d go to 350. Chuck the ads!

I have had diabetes for 31 years and I’m lucky, I have no complications - yea! But the emotional roller coaster has gone around the track many times. Don’t forget that insulin is a hormone. We all have a hormone imbalance and that has a direct affect on your emotions. If you track your blood glucose levels and watch the ups and downs it easy to see how your emotions can go up and down at the same time. It’s not your fault, it’s not you being weak, it’s NORMAL.

Plus, you’re allowed to feel emotional about this right now. We can all live healthy lives with diabetes and the new advances are amazing, but it still is a shock and sucks at times. You’re just adjusting to all of this and learning how to incorporate this new challenge into your life.

As your sugars balance out it will be easier to deal with the emotional ups and downs. Just remember to be good to your self and don’t beat yourself up for this. I’ve been reading a lot about this trying to heal my own emotional wounds from growing up with juvenile diabetes. I would be happy to share what I found if you are interested.

Very best wishes,
red

I’ve been diagnosed with diabetes for about two years now and I still get extremely emotional. Somedays I wake up angry at the world, there are other days where I cant even get out of bed, I’m probably the definition of an emotional rollercoaster. Don’t get me wrong, I have my good days too. I work full time and go to school full time, and managing this time consuming disease can be overwhelming. I recently just started seeing a therapist, and it has helped out alot. For the longest time, I opposed getting any help therapy, I felt asif it was one more appointment I needed to go to, but now going I wish I would have gone when I was recently diagnosed!! GOODLUCK and KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!

Hi Giovanna, I was just DX last Dec. with acute diabetic ketoacidosis, w/ BG ‘off the chart’ at almost 1200(!) Yikes! The good news is I somehow survived and have lived to go on with my life. I have also gotten frustrated w/ my endo. and recently, the BEST thing I’ve done since getting “LADA”, is found a wonderful nutritional consultant / herbalist / and a person who’s studying to become a naturopathic physician and had an amazing 1st session of almost 3 hrs. w/ her last week! I started on her very easy program w/ a few supplements, and extra vitamin C and lysine, since she found my immune system to be really depressed – I feel just about 200% better already. If there’s anyone in your area – not sure where you live but you could let me know if you’d like – who could offer you help with this background, I think that could be really helpful for you. I wish you lots of luck and better health soon.

Hi Halishawn,

Glad you found us. Being diabetic can feel very isolating. So many questions, so many emotions rolling in on top of each other.

Don’t have anything valuable to say that the others haven’t already said & said so well, & just wanted to add my assurance that what you feel now is normal. We all know what you’re going through.

When my BG is high, I’m impatient, cranky & feel like every nerve is on edge. The slightest thing upsets me. Also makes me tired. Yea, I’m real charming in this elevated state. When BG is low, I’m a weepy mess. The swings between these two states takes its toll.

Don’t want you to think it’s always like this because it’s not. I thought I was losing my mind because no told me about this part. One minute I’d be feeling fine & the next I’d be a deranged thang! All I was told was take your insulin, count your carbs. No one prepares us for the emotional part. Please know that you’re among family here to say whatever you like & to get the support we all need.

I don’t have much to add beyond what others have said, and I have experienced crushing episodes of real depression because of Type 1, including some during which I contemplated taking my own life. I am long past that now, but it is a constant battle to keep my own spirits up sometimes.

Think about this for a moment- you are extraordinarily lucky. Luckier than almost every human being who has ever been afflicted with Type 1. Before less than 100 years ago, Type 1 was a death sentence, and the execution was a protracted, painful, and irreversible process with few, if any pallative options. It was worse than cancer, heart disease, a host of other ailments that today we would never trade for Type 1. Not to say you won’t ever face those things, but understanding how to live for the present might provide you with a more comfortable perspective. You seem very anxious and this is probably a large component of your emotional struggle.

You will feel a lot better once you learn to get your blood glucose levels under control. Three months is a long time to go with a range of “250-hi” and this is probably contributing immensely to your frustration levels and feelings of helplessness. Your emotional issues regarding Type 1 will likely never disappear completely, but neither will they let up much until you feel as if you have control of the situation.

I wish you luck and offer you my support.

When I am out of “control” my emotions swing very badly, so you are not alone. I usually treat this by trying to stay within range and getting plenty of sunshine