Looking for a Good Food Scale

Hello to All!

Sorry I wasn’t too sure on where to place this, so I just went with the General Section.
Anyway, I'm trying to get better blood sugar control, and I think it's time to invest in a good food scale.

Anyone out there use one that loves it, or that has used one that made things easier to count carbs?

I'm a gadget guy so it would be cool to have some input on ones that give you carb values as well.

Any & all advice greatly appreciated!

Later,
Dude

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate input from people that actually use the scale versus product reviews.

I love my EatSmart. It makes it quick and painless to keep track of whatever numbers you need,carbs, calories etc.

The running total feature is really nice. If you’re making stir fry with multiple vegies you put a bowl on the scale and zero it out.Then add your vegies and punch in the codes one at a time, at the end you have totals for all the nutrients.

here’s a video Manny made about the eat smart

http://www.tudiabetes.org/video/advantages-of-a-food-scale-for

Fantastic Info! Thanks to everyone who added comments & opinions. Looks like I’m going shopping for the EatSmart scale! Hopefully I can find it on sale somewhere… :slight_smile:

I have a scale that folds up and I can carry it in my messenger bag. It’s a Salter Nutriweight 1440. The Eat Smart is great for home use, but I needed something I could bring with me to the office. This fit the bill nicely. It has a database included. You cannot update the database, unfortunately.

EatSmart!!! Cheapest way to buy it that I found was through Amazon.

Add me to the EatSmart fans. It’s great!

You can get a discount ordering through TuD. Go to “Resources” at the top of the page & then click “discounts.”

Really? That’s great! Any idea if the discount applies to us folks up in Canada??

Hello! me again, anyone know of any stores in Canada that carry these scales? So far I can’t find any place, and would like to see the scale before I just order one online.

Any ideas?

Have you tried contacting the company to ask what stores carry them? I ordered mine on-line sight unseen. The video Manny made shows how it works.

Thanks for reminding me about the video! :slight_smile:
Just a few questions though for people that own this scale. Does the glass come off so you can wash it properly, and does the screen have a light on it so you can read it better in low light?

Thanks!

The glass doesn’t come off & it’s easy to clean. I put a plate on the scale to weigh. There’s a feature that subtracts the weight of plates automatically. The display is easy to read.

Hey Dude,

I’m in Canada and we use the Salter 1400 - has a 900 food database programmed in already. Bought it at London Drugsfor $99. Uses a 9V battery that doesn’t need changing very often even with what I consider heavy use.

I did get the Lee Valley Catalogue (item EV148) www.leevalley.com the other day and they have a nutritional scale on the back page that also looks great - 2000 food database + 99 codes you can enter for foods that aren’t already programmed in. 5kg capacity which is much higher than many nutritional scales and it can tally for a complete meal. Only $50. I think I’ll buy this one next time. Have had the Salter for 3 years without any problems.

cheers,

out here in little McBride, BC

Thanks for the Info Karen! I’ll look into that for sure

Thanks!

While searching for something else, I happened across this:

http://www.sharperimage.com/si/view/product/Digital-Nutrition-Food-Scale/101163

It appears to be roughly the same size and price as the EatSmart, but with a considerably larger database PLUS the ability to add 99 custom entries of your own.

Cool. Thanks!

I bought mine on eBay for about 3 bucks strait from Hong Kong… I doubt it will last forever but I think it works as well as any for now