Looking for protein ideas to add to my sons breakfast

hello

i am trying to figure out some breakfast proteins i can give my son to try to level out the carbs he eats for breakfast. i was just informed that protein will keeping my sons cereals or pancakes from spiking?? How much protein?
i need nutrition 101 again.......

Protein will help but carbs are carbs and there is still going to be some spike. I'd recommend eggs, or bacon slices, or maybe a couple of slices of cheese. Cereals can be very tricky, there is only about 1 or 2 I can successfully eat, both made by Koshi. The rest of them regardless of how much I measure will cause a pretty significant spike. I know its hard on kids. They love all that carby sweet stuff.

i know:-( My son loves all carbs for breakfast. I measure everything for him and it still spikes. Plus my other child eats that cereal because she needs the calories so its so hard to make one eat it and then tell my T1 no.

You just need to feed him a balanced diet, cereal and pancakes are a nightmare. Face the facts and make some diet adjustments...carbs should not be more than 30%-40% of any meal...JMHO

Fat will slow down the spike..and give the insulin time to peak...protein has less impact on BG but it still drives it up, it just happens on a smaller scale much slower and later. Fat is a good source for nutrition because 1 gram is about 9 calories where 1 gram of carbs is just 3 calories.

Fat:

Cheese
Butter
cream cheese try strawberry or pineapple
Ham
Bacon sausage
avocado
Most any kind of nuts, peanut butter can be a good source for fat.

Fresh flax oil will help...but good luck with that one

I have a Whey Protein Shake for Breakfast. 12oz milk, one scoop of whey protein (26 grams of protein, less than 5 grams of carbs), fiber supplement (optional), and 8 frozen whole strawberries in the blender. It will fill a 32 oz mug and will hold him till lunch. He might even like it... :)

Maybe an eggbeater along with the carbs?

I have the same thing but I use 8oz coconut milk, protein powder, and frozen blueberries. I eat this b/c it is low in carbs, quick and easy, and low in sodium.

For added protein: Bacon, canadian bacon, or link sausages can work. Put peanut butter or almond butter on the pancakes. Better yet, maybe you could find a good almond or coconut flour pancake recipe. They tend to be lower in carbs than wheat flours.

I am on a low sodium diet, so I make my own sausage patties. You can cook and freeze them. There are recipes online that are easy and quite good. I make about 2in diam patties and cook them ahead of time. I then put a couple in a cold pan with a couple of tablespoons of water, put on a lid and cook for about 3 min on each side. You could probably cook them in the microwave, too, but I always eat mine with eggs, so I never have.

Breakfast is the trickiest meal for a lot of us... I still don't feel I have it 100% dialed in, but almost every day I eat 1 english muffin, 2 eggs, and sausage. That still spikes me, but generally not more than 50 pts... since I usually wake up in the 80's its not too bad. I have terrible results with any cereals, and have given them up

it may not work for your son, but for me, for whatever reason, if i eat oatmeal i dont spike as much. but of course i eat it with buttere and salt as opposed to sweet and milky.
another carb brkfst i enjoy is grits mixed w/ cottage cheese. the cheese get all gooey, an the protein mix slows down the absorbtion of the carbs so there is no spike. i suppose you could put any kind of cheese in there that you want.

still, good old fashioned eggs are a favorite; and there are so many ways to prepare them. my CDE swears by them, and i have never had a problem.

good luck. by the way, how old is your son?

Perhaps you are looking at this wrong. Perhaps your other child needs to increase protein and fat at breakfast as a way of supporting their growth and weight gain.

And I like JohnG's suggestions and I still stand behind my fried bologna.

The amount of protein you need will depend on the type of protein. For example with cheese I was told a matchbox size, and with bacon three slices is a serving.

You could also try:

• Scrambled eggs (you can do them quickly in the microwave)
  • Yoghurt without sugar
  • Nuts
  • Long-life milk (it still has carbs, but for some reason the long-life version is low GI and lowers the GI of the cereal although not enough to have regular sugary types)