Low blood sugar episodes prior to diagnosis?

Hi, I’m new around here, and though I haven’t been diagnosed with anything yet, I feel that I may have some pancreas dysfunction and would love to hear what you veterans might think!

For the past year, I’ve been dealing with strange symptoms (periods of unquenchable thirst/frequent bathroom trips/sweating/headaches/hunger/etc.). Since I was between PCPs at the time, I consulted Doctor Google who suggested that I may be having some blood sugar problems.

Six weeks or so ago, I went out and bought a test kit and strips. Since then, the highest number I’ve seen is 172 (one hour after eating), and the lowest I’ve measured is 60 (about 3.5 hours after eating).

My fasting numbers are normal (high 70’s/80’s)–with the exception of this morning when I woke up to a 65.

For a couple weeks, if I ate a high-carb meal, my one-hour post-meal readings would be high-ish (i.e. 140, 172, 165, 153). Almost all of my two-hour readings were under 120.

In my casual testings these past few weeks, I’ve also noticed that I have low-ish numbers one-hour after breakfast (i.e. 72, 64, 66, 73, 71, 65). I don’t stay at these low numbers long–when I test at the two-hour mark, I’ve usually risen to the 90s or 100s–is it normal to have numbers this low one-hour after eating?

However, for the past couple of days, no matter what I eat or when I eat, I feel like my blood sugar drops after eating. Withiin 15-30 min. of eating, I’m sweating, have a headache/heart palpitations, am tired/irritable, etc. My one-hour readings are equal to or lower than my pre-meal numbers–no matter if my meal was high carb, high protein/low carb, high fat, etc.

Take yesterday for example:

80 - 8:15 a.m. (fasting) -> Breakfast: Scrapple, milk, and black coffee
65 - 9:50 a.m. (1 hr. PP)
91 - 10:50 a.m (2 hr. PP)
95 - 6:30 p.m. (pre-dinner) -> Dinner: Chili
85 - 7:30 p.m. (1 hr. PP)
99 - 8:30 p.m. (2 hr. PP)
78 - 9:00 p.m. (2.5 hr. PP)

Even though yesterday’s numbers weren’t all that “low”, it’s to the point when I’m feeling headachy and sweaty and hungry and low–constantly.

I’m posting on this board because I don’t really fit the profile of a Type 2 (I’m 22 years old, 5’7", 123 lbs., and have another autoimmune issue [psoriasis])–why is my blood sugar dropping consistently and so quickly after eating?

I’ve been scrounging the internet for people in similar situations but have not had much luck, so I’m asking here–did any of you have frequent low blood sugar episodes before LADA/Type 1 diagnosis?

Thank you!

1 Like

Your description of a 65 mg/dl one hour post-meal combined with “sweaty and hungry” symptoms matched my memory of reactive hypoglycemia. I experienced episodes of this before my diagnosis of type I diabetes. It usually occurred about an hour after a breakfast of cold cereal with a banana in the morning. I would get sweaty, irritable, and hungry for something sugary, like a candy bar. Once I ate, the symptoms receded.

A lot of non-diabetic people experience blood sugar in the 60s and don’t feel the symptoms or come down with diabetes. It wouldn’t hurt to visit a doctor but you may be told there’s nothing wrong with you. If I were you, I’d try to eat more complex meals, like bacon and eggs and less high carb meals. High carb consumption, especially liquid carbs like juice or soda pop can elicit an over-production of insulin by the pancreas and lead to reactive hypoglycemia.

Yes, as I stated earlier, I had several episodes of reactive hypoglycemia for a year or two before my formal type I diabetes diagnosis. LADA is not a formal diagnostic term but my diabetes was a slow onset with diagnosis at the age of 30. I was not overweight and physically very active.

Good luck. It would be nice if you gave us some updates.

Reactive hypoglycemia may happen as diabetes emerges. Your body’s ability to produce enough insulin becomes sluggish and “overshoots.” This happens in both T1 and T2.

Your numbers are higher than non-diabetic after a meal, but not too high. You could visit a doctor and get an HbA1c test but it may well show you as normal or as just “prediabetic.” Probably the best thing is just test one hour after meals and see if your blood sugars are getting worse.

ps. Reactive hypoglycemia sometimes happens independent of diabetes and people can have it all their lives. It can usually be reduced by limiting carbs at meals.

I had regular serious headaches many afternoons prior to my diagnosis. I’m not sure these were low blood sugar episodes but it is possible. I would not describe headaches as a usual hypo symptom of mine. This was about 35 years ago before home bg testing so no actual knowledge of my bg’s at the time. What is curious is that the headaches disappeared after diagnosis.

Consistent 60’s/70’s number on a meter could be entirely within meter tolerances. Your numbers certainly do not look like T1 or T2 to me - they look entirely normal!

If you suspect hypo type symptoms, one symptom you might look for, is adrenaline release. Try holding your hand out in front of you and see if it is a little shaky.

Thank you all for input and helpful advice! I’ll work on changing up my diet, and hopefully that will help some. I’ll also continue to monitor my levels and let you all know if there are any concerning changes.

Thank you!

Alix