Low Carb Living and Diabetic Pregnancy!

Hi All!

I follow this board very closely and I was hoping that a few of you wouldn’t mind helping me out!

I am currently 25 weeks pregnant and type 1 diabetic. I decided to start writing about my experiences recently and I started a blog! The name of the blog is “my sweet beat.”

http://www.mysweetbeat.com/

If any of you have the time, can you please go take a look and give me your feedback? Is this something you would follow? What info would you like to hear about?

Any kind of feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance!!
Kait

2 Likes

I do LCHF/keto.
The only thing I would suggest is at this stage there isn’t enough to recommend keto <50g carb 20% protein and 70% fat. while pregnant. although it is part of our evolution.

experiments with mice has shown unwanted development.

although I haven’t seen anything to suggest that LCHF above keto level would do any harm and I think would be beneficial

Thank you for the resource, @jack16!

I’m still learning about keto. I wouldn’t consider myself that strict yet, as I still eat some starchy veggies etc. The babies growth is right on point thus far but it is definitely something that I am monitoring closely.

Wonderful blog. I’d like to ask @Rphil2 to consider adding it to our blog rolls. I’ve followed a low carb diet for more than a decade. I’ve had to suffer through lots of criticism of my diet from medical professionals who should know better. The high carb low fat recommendations for a diabetes diet are just “whacked.” To this day central sources of dietary advice such as the AND and the USDA just don’t get it. The ADA, perhaps their liability for handing out decades of bad dietary advice “spun out” the whole issue to the AND. Now the ADA says to use individualized diets and refers to the AND recommendations. And as you note, some of the statements about “why” you need carbs are just crazy. If your blood sugar is totally flat at 80 mg/dl all day (independent of what you eat), your baby will have access to any glucose that is needed, they just take it up.

It is no wonder that so called medical professionals are confused and cannot substantiate their recommendations. There are now many, many professionals and experts which advise a low carb diet for everyone with diabetes. And in the end, if you are well informed patient and no evidence can be presented to you that a low carb diet (or other diet) is harmful, then no medical professional should criticize you for a dietary choice that seems to be working great.

1 Like

Brian: I did get it added and sent Kait1 a note on her site last evening. I meant to let folks know I had made the addition, but it got away from me.

It is a terrific blog, well done, and full of great information.

Rick

1 Like

Brain,

I love the sense of humor you are able to convey about diabetes. It does just seem like a big joke some times and it’s hard to get that across to the reader. It looks like you have been writing for years and years, hopefully, that is something that gets easier with time!

I totally agree with your analysis of medical opinions but being pregnant has made their opinions matter much more to me. Sometimes, I wish I had my MD so I could push back a bit more and be able to use their jargon. My goal for this blog is to give other women (and men) the confidence to question their medical team. I would love any suggestions you have as to how to achieve that. Thank you for writing!

Thank you, @Rphil2!!

This is great! I left a comment on your early June post :slight_smile: I am 23 weeks and eat moderately low carb - I can’t imagine having any control eating more. I am a doctor of molecular and cell bio and did a lot of digging into all the studies prior to going low carb . I blog at walkthedragon88.blogspot.com

Nice blog… it’s good to see mamas rocking it and sharing. I’ve done 2 low carb pregnancies on insulin. your experiences will help others.

1 Like