Low Carb Vegetarian: Tricksy!

One of the things I miss most from my non-diabetic days is curry. Specifically, curry over starch. Be it based upon coconut milk or a flour and oil paste, curry was once one of my most common meals.

It’s hard to have curry without a starch to pour it on. I’ve tried and it just … doesn’t work.

Luckily for me, there’s cauliflower!

Chop it coarsely, steam it for about ten minutes or until cooked through, and then run it through the food processor. Nobody will ever mistake it for rice or mashed potatoes, but it fills the role of either: a neutrally flavored base upon which to build.

Awesome.

For the rest of it, well… I’m still holding out on the low-carb baking for the most part, but we made a coconut-crust pumpkin cheesecake with 1/3 sugar (I won’t eat Splenda or other sugar substitutes, and my roommate is allergic to tree nuts) for my birthday and it came out pretty well.

Also, I was attempting to make burritos with seitan and steamed red cabbage and ended up reinventing the cabbage roll (I like to call them ‘vegan hearts of my foes’), so… my eating patterns have changed, true enough, but there is still plenty left to discover and experiment with. Thank goodness the British have enough of a market to put out low-carb vegetarian cookbooks; I’ve had a lot of fun with mine, measurement conversions aside.

I use cauliflower like that to make creamy pasta sauces!

You used the cabbage as the wrap, right? Try using a raw kale/collard/spinach leaf next time.