Low weight

Help! I am a type 1 diabetic on the insulin pump and I am concerned about my low weight. I am 5ft tall with medium body frame and 53 years old. When I weigh myself at home the scale says I am 89 pounds. I drink diabetic boost 2x a day and try to increase my protein. My diabetes is well controlled. I feel good except for this. Should I be concerned?

Ask your doctor. You’re indeed underweight, but we can’t determine whether that’s a cause for concern. A physician can make a better judgment based on your medical history and physical examination if necessary. That’s the best way to find our whether there are other issues causing this low weight or not.

2 Likes

I see my diabetic doctor soon. Maybe he can start me on a plan to help me increase my weight.

1 Like

In the meantime, go to a big box club like BJ’s or Costco and buy the 2-3 lb bags of whole almonds or walnuts. Put a layer of nuts in a personal jar of peanut butter and top with Redi Whip. Scrape off that layer with a fork and eat it. This has a very high calorie to carb ratio. 1/4 cup of nuts alone is about 200 calories/6g carbs and 2 tbsp peanut butter also about 200 calories and 6g carbs. Do this once in the morning and once in the afternoon and you will be amazed how fast you can put on lbs.

2 Likes

Depending on your bone structure and amount of muscle, the"proper" weight for someone your age and height is 90 to 110 pounds.

If you’ve always been thin, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. If you’ve been losing weight recently, that’s another story. I think the advice to ask your doctor is spot on.

1 Like

Consider going over your diet plan with a dietitian . Nancy50

Lol @CJ114 That sounds sooo good! Some added cocoa nibs in there too!

Good advice. I pretty well eat the same things day in and day out. Yes, I have basically have been thin. I didn’t even gain weight after my 2 pregnancies. When I step on the scale the number that pops up looks bad. I don’t eat anything with alot of cane sugar in it. I don’t like what it does to my bloodsugar.

You might be naturally ectomorphic. If you do some light weight training. Meaning something like walking with 5 lb hand weights. You will gain some healthy muscle weight. I’m your same age. 54. I have to work at keeping my muscle weight up. I’m also naturally thin but not underweight. Maybe just upping your game a little will do the trick

2 Likes