Lunch

I am tired of figuring what to do for lunch. I do veggies,yogurt, 4 chicken nuggets if we are out. I am at a point I would skip it if I could. But can’t. Thanks in advance. Nancy50

1 Like

@Nancy50 I wish I could help you out. I am the most borrriinnnng person when it comes to food. I have eaten the exact same breakfast for around 20 years. My lunch is the same for a year now. If I am to be out, I make my lunch and carry it in a cooler bag. I don’t even want to share what I eat. I can imagine the raised eyebrows. I am lucky that I don’t get bored eating the same foods.

Good luck to you and maybe someone will come up with something imaginative for you.

I like yogurt and fruit. Also cheese, but I’m really limiting that lately because it has a lot of fat.
Roasted veggies are awesome.
There is a place near me that makes yellow curry soup. I love it.
I sometimes get chicken in it other times tofu.
Trader Joe’s also makes a good chicken salad.

Is there any reason you have to eat “lunchfood” for lunch?

1 Like

Yes there is a strict rule about mixing meal types.
I mean you could do it but you might get mocked
Or even worse pancakes after noon are toxic
There are a few crossovers like bacon. And coffee.
But waffles and pancakes and eggs are breakfast only.
Besides we’re diabetic so how much waffles and pancakes are we really going to eat ?

1 Like

First of all what else would you call it,lol. In our house grandkids love blueberry pancakes during the season for lunch or supper. We grow blueberries. I eat eggs, from my son’s chickens,yogurt,vegetable raw , a lower carb bread once in a while for a sandwich. A1C resent results 6.2. I guess just looking for a new idea. Thanks for the suggestions! Nancy50

1 Like

Here is a quick one for you. I buy blanched peanuts 30-50 lbs at a time to make my own peanut butter and other treats. I also like blueberries when they are in season. So when a quick delicious lunch is needed, take 1/2 handful of blueberries, top with 1/2 handful of raw shelled peanuts, mix together and eat as a treat. Do that a couple of times and you have had yourself quite the meal. This is an easy way to quickly rack up 600+ calories with a delicious treat. Grandkids will have fun with it too.

I eat a cup of quinoa, 1/2 cup of black beans, 1/2 cup of garbanzo beans, a cheese sauce made of potato, tamari, carrots, lemon juice, garlic, and nutritional yeast. I put vegies on top of that and pumpkin seeds on top of everything.

A1c 4.8

I eat this everyday and never grow tired of it.

1 Like

How much peanut butter do you make? I love natural peanut butter.

Peanut butter and Almond butter I usually in batched of 98oz.

I add a little almond oil to make almond butter in the food processor. Do you do that?
And do you add peanut oil to make peanut butter?

No, I just roast the peanuts and the almonds in the oven which brings out their natural oils, let cool for about 10-15 minutes, and then run through the food processor with nothing else added for myself. When I make for others, I will add salt, vanilla, cocoa powder, honey or other ingredients to make the butter to their liking.

1 Like

Here are some suggestions-

1. tuna fish with 1 tsp of avocado Mayo on cauliflower flat bread (Outer Isle Plant Power sandwich thins). If I am sill hungry, I eat a raw endive or Persian cucumbers.
  2. Avocado and egg salad ( moosh both and add lemon, salt and pepper) either on cauliflower bread or with a couple of endives.
  3. peanut butter ( no added sugar) on cauliflower bread
  4. green salad with feta cheese and walnuts
  5. make pizza using the cauliflower pizza bread (same company).
1 Like

Excellent EM15! Low, low carb and they all sound delicious… thank you!

I don’t know what other medical issues you have (nor do I NEED to know since it is none of my business), but for years I was told that diabetics could never skip a meal. If that is the only reason you think you cannot occasionally skip lunch, then we both incorrectly were informed. If you basal rates are good, you CAN skip lunch with little or no problem. Yes, you need to watch your glucose rates if you skip a meal and take action if needed, but occasionally skipping a meal will cause you no harm-- unless you have other medical conditions that prevent that course of action. As far as what to have for lunch, check out some cookbooks or Websites for some new ideas. We all get into a rut, and we all can use something new every once in a while. That keeps life interesting.

1 Like

[quote="SherryAnn, pos

t:15, topic:87703"]
then we both incorrectly were informed.
[/quote]

For people who use NPH, it may still be required to eat to 4-6 hours after injection. This may be why you were instructed to do so.

You can probably eat more sweets than you know. Don’t deprive yourself. Do you take medicine for your diabetes? My husband and I eat sweets every day and our A1C is always under 7. Metformin keeps it down. We’re Type 2 which I think is often exaggerated. Enjoy what you want. Just take your meds. Of course, don’t over do it.

Thanks for the info. I did not know that about NPH. I have never used that insulin. I suspect I was told that I could never skip a meal only because I was diagnosed 55 years ago, and at that time, that is what doctors thought. Of course, they were wrong on so, so many things about diabetes, but (thankfully), we all live and learn.

1 Like

What insulin did you use 55 years ago? I was diagnosed around the same time, started with single injection of Lente. It was also important to eat all meals since that was the only insulin I had all day. In mid-80s, they switched me to NPH plus Regular, but NPH still covered a peak for a noon-time meal, and Regular injection for breakfast and dinner. A1Cs not tested then, but urine tests were rarely negative.

Once I started insulin pump with Regular insulin, I had much better control by taking insulin for meals and to bring down high bgs. Switched to humalog in pump when it was available in 90s.

This may help:

• NPH insulin is an intermediate-acting insulin that usually starts to work (has an onset) about 1 to 3 hours after injection, peaks 4 to 12 hours later, and is effective for about 12 to 16 hours. Nancy50