Magnesium

Hey all,

Just wanted to bring up magnesium, as in the form of supplements. I started looking into it when my son who is 11 couldn’t sleep and was often constipated, I started giving him supplements and it was amazing, he falls asleep faster and is way more regular.

But now I give it to my type 1 daughter because from all the reading I’ve done it says it helps with insulin resistance. I don’t think it’s helped her A1C per se, but it definitely has a calming effect on her and apparently when your blood sugars are high, you pee it out.

I started talking it to help me sleep, but was super happy to find that some of the things that I was experiencing and worried were signs of developing type 2 disappeared… things like tingling in my hands and feet and higher blood sugars in the morning. Those things are gone… took my blood this morning and it was 4.7 (85). And too boot, I haven’t had a cavity since I’ve started taking it… apparently it’s just as important as calcium in building enamel.

So I was just wondering, has anyone else heard of its helping to prevent type 2, or that the lack of it for most American’s could be of the factors involved in getting type 2? Is anyone else taking magnesium? Oh - and I take about 400 mg of magnesium citrate per night, no side effects either.

1 Like

I have taken magnesium supplements for the past 10 yrs. My endo suggested it due to a medication I take for an autoimmune disorder. It didn’t prevent T2 for me, but I have strong bones, healthy teeth & sleep very well.

I take a magnesium supplement because I read that it helped with leg cramps. It has not eliminated leg cramps but I hope it’s reduced the frequency. My latest thinking on this is dehydration may play a role. I don’t drink as much water as I know I should.