May need to change insulins

So, after trying 3 different drugs stores I was told that they don't carry Humalog any more!

After MORE calls and running around (and have run out of Humalog already), I am told that this may be a permanent problem in Philippines and I may need to change my insulin type.

So now I need to decide which insulin to change to. Novalog? Something else?

grrrr. eating salads I can cover with my humalin until I get this sorted out....

Serves me right for not having a good stock of insulin on hand....

Novolog/NovoRapid (depending on the country) and Apidra are the two other insulins which are comparable to Humalog.

The only way to settle on which insulin is best for you is to just try them. I've used Humalog, Novalog, and currently use Apidra. My memory of any unique characteristics of these three insulins is blurred, but the only thing that matters is what'll work for you.

I did have an allergic reaction to Novalog that took quite some time to develop. It got redness and swelling at infusion sites. Since you don't use a pump,that shouldn't be a problem.

I've seen contradictory statistics of onset, peak, and duration comparing these three insulins. Again, the only thing that matters is how well any insulin performs for you.

Your story further reinforces my tendency to squirrel away plenty of D-supplies! I don't think I'm alone in this.

Good luck with your insulin supply quest.

So far for the fast actings I have only used novolog and humalog. My bg went a bit crazy on humalog, it dropped me very low and then high and I couldn't get the timing right so I went right back to novolog. Fortunately my endo's request to keep me on novolog with the same copay was approved till next January. It did take a while to get done though and I also have insulin stored for emergencies etc.so I was ok. I didn't like the pen for humalog, very hard to maneuver. But I would have switched to a permanent pen anyway if I had liked it and my endo just happened to have one that he was given, they had been discontinued.

Novolog has, by far, the best accessories (pens, etc.) of any insulin.

The Humalog pens are okay. I find them heavy and bulky, though.

The Apidra pens are cheap and plastic.

I can't speak to the disposable pens since, other than Lantus, I've only used the refillable pens and I prefer them.

My endocrinologist says that the differences between the rapid-acting insulin analogues are negligible and basically the same, although some people prefer one over the other. I switched from Humalog to Apidra because I was getting a lot of occlusions, and switching has solved that problem.

Hi Jen, I like my novopen junior quite a bit except that all the paint peeled off it from keeping it in my frio. I was using the throw away humalog on the free trial I got and I didn't like that pen at all. It has no clicks etc. and once you compress it you basically have to hold it down with quite a lot of force which was really hard for me to do because I don't have a lot of strength in my hands. I will probably get a pen for my levemir so I can do half units and maybe I will get the pendique because due to my sensitivity as times I think I really need even smaller doses. What are occlusions? I really did notice a difference with humalog that it seemed to stay in my system longer than novolog and I wasn't sure how to pre bolus with it. Actually pre bolus is becoming hit or miss with me now, I have to be really careful as I can drop very low during the meal. That is good that they all act pretty much the same for you. :)

SOMEONE ELSE HATED THE LACK OF CLICKS ON THE HUMALOG KWIK PEN??? HALLEUJAH I'M NOT ALONE AFTER ALL (sorry for the caps but I've never really met anyone else that disliked that? LOL)

As for the topic, I'd say Novolog/Novorapid is LIKELY gonna be something you can get moreso than apidra. I know very little about Apidra. I like Novolog though a lot and I hope I never have to switch. Humalog makes me have headaches and my blood sugar wasn't as good with that because I had trouble using the pen (no clicks and I had a similar issue dosing and it'd leak everywhere when I pulled the needle out) . Novolog flex pens are really nice if you get those though, they've always worked great for me. I've got a bad lantus pen but never a bad novolog flex pen (hope I'm not jinxing myself) .

The only Novolog pens I've seen are metal and REALLY nice. (The paint peeled off my Apidra pen keeping it in my purse, too, really annoying!) But as I said, I've never seen the disposable pens, which I think are used more often in the U.S. ... and are probably not metal.

Occlusions are basically blockages in pumps tubing or the infusion cannulas of pumps. Not much of an issue if you are not using a pump. :)

my son with t1d has been using humalog mix 25 and humalog for about a year already. but after it has been recalled due to license prob accdg to his doctor, we changed his insulin to novomix 25 and novorapid. still trying to make adjustments since we’ve been noticing a few lows. but so far, he’s doing good. almost the same effect but much better, i guess. we’re from the phil also.

lol.. yes, I was wondering how anyone can stand those pens.. I had no idea if the insulin was getting in properly sometimes… I think mine leaked once also. My levemir pens are quite stiff at times and stick but the lantus throw aways were great.

I also had the throw away orange and blue novolog pens, they're plastic, I just syringed my last one into my novopen junior cartridge(had painted designs on it) It is stainless steel I think. Some of the paint is still on. Oh , yeah, I was thinking of medical occlusions.. I guess that is dangerous in a pump. fortunately I only have to deal with air bubbles etc. I will post a pic of my last novolog throw away, I photographed it to commemorate it, lol.

This happened to me once in France. There was a shortage somewhere along the line.I felt really panic-y. Since then I always keep extra insulin for a couple of weeks. Actually, the problem got solved pretty quickly but I wasn't in need. I hope it gets solved for you too and if not I suggest NOVOLOG.

best wishes

That's crazy! I didn't know they'd let that kind of thing happen .

But try the apidra, I've heard it's good.

Wow, that is terrible. I hope you get the apidra asap and that it works well for you. I have read that it acts the fastest of all the analog fast acting insulins.

That's good! I would try to get some novolog somehow if it is safer for a pregnancy.

All rapid/meal time insulins are category C so you can use them when you're pregnant because you HAVE to it's not much of a choice compared to some drugs possibly are. Regular insulin and NPH are safer during pregnancy apparently but I don't think I'd want to use those unless I had to.

Yes, I agree, because those can cause worse lows from what I have heard. I would think the analogs would be much safer. I don't know much about all this though.