Medicare, Walgreens, and Dexcom

I have a friend on Medicare. I believe she has no additional supplement.
Will she be able to fill a script for 90 days through Medicare for Dexcom G6 sensors through Walgreens if the endo writes it? Currently, she is getting a 30 day supply, just 3 sensors.

Iā€™m only able to fill my sensors every 30 days. I am on a Medicare Advantage plan.

1 Like

@typ1

I donā€™t have any experience with Walgreens. However some of the ā€œmail orderā€ suppliers WILL send you 9 G6 sensors and a transmitter every 90 days. I use US Med and they do it that way. I think that North Coast Med does it that way ā€¦ although I have never used them. And I believe that Solara now does that now ā€¦ although they only shipped 30 days worth ā€¦ 3 sensors ā€¦ when I used them.

To the best of my knowledge, the companies that are sending you a 90-day supply donā€™t have a ā€œspecial arrangementā€ with Medicare.

If I am not mistaken, even though they send you a 90-day supply, I believe that they are actually going to the extra effort of BILLING Medicare every 30 days.

Will Walgreens do that ? Iā€™m afraid that I donā€™t know.

Good luck to you and your friend.

John

2 Likes

Iā€™m on Medicare and currently get my G6 stuff through Walgreens. Even though my Dr. wrote script for 90-day supplies, Walgreens will only process for 30-day supplies. This causes me grief as they wonā€™t initiate another order until at least 30 days have passed. Then thereā€™s the delays while their corporate office tries to get in touch with my Dr. for his notes and then their dealings with Medicare Part B requirements plus also the local Walgreens being ā€˜out of stockā€™. All in all, I lose several days each time I need to order supplies.

On a side note - I purchased a Dexcom G6 receiver thatā€™s warranted for 1 year. Does that mean I have to order a new one each year in order to have Medicare continually cover my ongoing supplies?

1 Like

Why not just use a Medicare approved mail order Dexcom supplier like CCS medical? They contact me every month well in advance, take care of getting DR notes on time, etc. I get my sensors from CCS like clockwork every month. They send an email or text which ever I want on the same day each month, go to CCS account and confirm that I want the supplies and then they ship them out so they always arrive well before running out.

ā€œOn a side note - I purchased a Dexcom G6 receiver thatā€™s warranted for 1 year. Does that mean I have to order a new one each year in order to have Medicare continually cover my ongoing supplies?ā€

Nope

2 Likes

CCS sounds great. I will have to ask around about them. I have the same problem with Walgreens, for all my supplies. Seems the scripted answer is, ā€œwe have to get information from docā€, every 3 months. Do they think I have been cured of T1D?

1 Like