Medtronic 530g my first hand account

I used the previous MiniMed sensors a few years ago and gave up because of the lag time between sensor readings and accuracy of my BG meter readings in real time. It was a frustrating waste of time having to babysit a device that wasn't ready for prime time and released to market way too early. Beeping, calibrating, waiting, alarms, more stuff stuck in your skin, etc... all for inaccurate readings.

So, here I am now, with the new 530G and Enlite sensors, hoping for a technological improvement. No dice. The sensors still lag the true readings, and though the predictive alerts hint at trying to patch a technology that's not ready for market, it's simply not making it. Occasionally, after calibration, the BG meter readings and sensor readings are pretty close, but as time passes, the sensor will start lagging due to the nature of taking readings from interstitial fluid and not blood.

As before, the whole sensor setup and maintenance rigamarole eats into one's day with little results to show for it, and as a diabetic, that's the last thing you need. More stuff to worry about. I am surprised that Medtronics is touting the 530G/Enlite as a breakthrough. No wonder they're not so anxious to do auto boluses based on sensor readings. Boy, would that be class action city.

I'm seeing my diabetes educator this afternoon to see if there's anything I'm missing in my technique, but being a tech guy and having been through this before, I am pretty sure this is the way it is with the sensors, and so I'm not keen on continuing with this distracting mess again.

Medtronic - Get it together and stop hyping these sensors until they are as accurate as a BG meter.

Agreed with everything you've said here. Medtronic called me up 2 weeks back asking if I'm ready to order a new set of sensors and I declined. I honestly have found no value in them and they're far too finicky to work with.

Thanks. What's your experience with Dexcom???

Unfortunately my only CGM experience has been with the medtronic ones. Nothing but failure and despair with them lol

My experience with Dexcom has been extraordinary. The sensors are very accurate in the mid-range (70-240) they're less accurate in the low range but if you're under 70 does it really matter if you're 30,40,50, or 60 ? You're still going to treat it. I don't know much about the high ranges because I don't go there often enough to get a sample size.
I wear my sensors for 2-4 weeks depending on how they are and I have gotten exceptional service from the company when I have called.