Medtronic 630G battery problem

I have been using the Medtronic 630G pump for almost 3 years.
About 6 months ago I started having a problem when it was time to change the battery. When I put a new AA Alkaline battery in, the pump continued to say “Put new battery in” It was as if the pump did not recognize that I inserted a new battery? I would have to put the new battery in 3 or 4 times before it recognized the new battery?
I use a Dexcom sensor and a few days ago, my readings were very high 250-300. It seemed like no matter how many boluses of 3-6 units of insulin I gave myself( 15 units in total), it took about 4 hours for my glucose to return to normal.
I called Medtronics about the battery problem and they were concerned enough to send me a replacement pump with 24 hours.
I am wondering if the battery problem was what was making my glucose readings so high?

Its possible the cap that holds battery in was intermittently losing contact, thus pump would stop delivery.

I had this problem with a 523 pump. First they overnighted me a replacement cap, pump worked for a day then had same problem. So then they sent me replacement pump which worked fine.

Not sure how different the battery compartment on 523 compares, but you may be having something similar.
If power is lost, the date clock may also reset, and change rates. I think that happened on my 523 problem pump.

I had same issue with my 523. The pump would actually go off completely, and if I licked the battery cap it would work for a few days. Yes. I know. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
I was passed warranty and I got a new pump, I never really resolved it.

It is unlikely that the battery cap is causing the issue. I would rather think that it might have been a set issue.


Note: I am a Medtronic ambassador. My opinions are my own. They did not pay me to say nice things. OK, they sent me a shirt and a cup but even I am more expensive than that.

My first 630 pump ate battery energy. I was having to put a new lithium battery in every week, which had never happened when I was on the Animas pump. I just thought Medtronic pumps were different (and severely annoying!). Eventually, the pump went into failure and they sent me a new one. I was thrilled to discover that battery life improved significantly and was more what I expected. So, it seems defective pumps can certainly have battery issues and may be the most likely reason for your high readings.

I also use the 630G and Dexcom G6. A few times I had the sensor inserted only 6 or 8 inches from the infusion set placement. I got much higher readings until I moved the infusion set (Sure-T) further away from the Dexcom sensor. I have read that the sensor and infusion set should not be placed close together.

I always have the Dexcom and pump on opposite sides of my abdomen.

I do as well. But if the pump is clipped on the opposite side of the sensor it tends to lose connection

Call the Medtronic help line. I had this problem with the 630 pump when I had it and they had me reboot the pump and that fixed the issue. I don’t recall what I had to do to do the reboot but Medtronic will walk you through it.

I did call the Medtronic help line and after hearing my story they decided to send me a replacement pump. They told me to discontinue using the pump until I got the new one. I received the replacement pump the next day.